SWTOR

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Not writing their own engine (again considering the fact they had unlimited money and could probably get whoever they wanted on their project since it was Bioware/Star Wars) is their first mistake I guess, not sure because I'm not a programmer. But seeing how WoW is apparently still on top as far as feeling smooth, working on every computer at least somewhat improving the graphics goes, having their own engine that they can do with whatever they want and that they know inside out must be part of it. But still, incompetence, mismanagement and resting on their laurels must have known no bounds at Bioware between 2008 and 2011. They probably spent most of their time and funds making money hats pre-emptively, how could have known you only make those AFTER you work your ass off for 4 years. Afaik i know they also had many ex-Mythic devs and somehow considered that an advantage for PvP design, probably never read up on how WHO did on the market.

I'm gonna say the only thing that gave me some hope this game might recover was actually that rakghoul event they ran early last year. Screw rakghouls in general but the event was done very well. Looking at the above picture and from what I heard about special events since then means the dev/intern that was responsible for the rakghoul event probably found a better job.

bayr_sl

shitlord
Come on guys it's only a $250 million dollar MMO, they can't be expected to make and animate more than one model. Be reasonable here

Vulg

Golden Knight of the Realm
long before the game's release, bioware explained that they included only humanoid characters because they felt these characters would better relate to the two factions' missions.
The only acceptable answer to 'streamlined' character models to me would have been performance related. Apparently that wasn't even on their radar, which explains A LOT about my post-launch experience and how shitty the engine/responsiveness was.

rrr_img_7540.jpg

When your putting out content now that looks as well done as Heriotze's avatar pic, and charging 18 bucks for it... It's game over.
I really just laughed for 10 minutes looking at this, that is terrible.... lol

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I can't wait for someone to write a textbook on how to fail at MMO design and feature SWTOR as the case example.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
You can almost guarantee they don't think they failed from a design point. They would probably blame the consumers somehow.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone have any links to sources from inside that vent frustration/disappointment/explanation as to whats going on back there from present/past employees.

In fact how do you see, like a movie, a rolling list of credits of who contributed what to an mmo?

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I haven't seen anything public, but the people I know that are still working on the game are drinking the Kool-Ade pretty heavily. I wasn't there long enough/in a position to point fingers anywhere.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I stopped playing in March, but follow the forums. Something went down a few weeks ago with a supposed paid shill posting on the forums who turned out to be an employee who worked in the sound department, but did not reveal this fact. Forum name was Andryah. I guess someone dug up her LinkedIn profile, and was called out on it.
She blocked the profile,and went all uppity about being stalked. Also dug up was job listings at EA for community managers to provide "fair and balanced critique of the game"

Someone asked her to provide 1 post that painted swtor in a negative light. She could not provide it. This person defended every single move ea/bioware made under the guise of your every day gamer.

I have no issue with devs posting, but if your being compensated in some way this should be known up front. Maybe I'm naive, but is this par for the course on most major mmmorpg forums? Paid shills to trumpet the game? I don't remember seeing on EQ forums the level of defending that goes on over the swtor forums.

Needless to say since this outing of Andryah she went MIA in mid December. This after making hundreds of extensive posts to nil over night.

LennyLenard_sl

shitlord
Anyone have any links to sources from inside that vent frustration/disappointment/explanation as to whats going on back there from present/past employees.

In fact how do you see, like a movie, a rolling list of credits of who contributed what to an mmo?
http://www.mobygames.com/game/window...public/credits. Probably not exactly what you want, but it's about as close as you'll get without inside info on who did exactly what.

Ko Dokomo_sl

shitlord
I remember reading last year that the reson there are no dewback/tauntun/rancor mounts is because the engine can't do animated mounts. Is that still true?

AlekseiFL_sl

shitlord
Come on guys it's only a $250 million dollar MMO, they can't be expected to make and animate more than one model. Be reasonable here
Yep your right, and they used game engine that came out of cracker jack box.

How the 2 doctors pulled that shit off to EA still amazes me, even as fucked up as EA is.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Yep your right, and they used game engine that came out of cracker jack box.

How the 2 doctors pulled that shit off to EA still amazes me, even as fucked up as EA is.
Pretty sure it wasn't then. When you're in their position (at the time), you rely on the people in charge of the projects to advise on what needs to be done. The Hero Engine was good old Gordon Walton, he of the Combat Upgrade for SWG. I'm not sure if he had a hand in the NGE. Not a bad guy by any means, I met him when I was a correspondent for SWG and got to go down to preview the ideas for the CU, but utterly convinced that he knows what's best.

Cybsled

I remember reading last year that the reson there are no dewback/tauntun/rancor mounts is because the engine can't do animated mounts. Is that still true?
I think it has to do with the amount of animation needed, since living mounts would need water crossing animations in addition to walking and running. There might also be clipping + height issues, since your character would be seated much higher off the ground.

Erff anyone who had a hand in fucking up SWG more than it was has no place making design decisions, fuckers shouldn't even be allowed to pick out their own clothes. SWG had a ton of broken shit, but if they just fixed combat and peppered each planet with statics it would have brought back a lot of people.

Itzena_sl

shitlord

Bioware hasn't made a good game since ME2, and BiowareAustinwas half ex-Mythic , and half people who got fired from SOE for being terrible. Fired fromSOE.