SWTOR

moontayle

Golden Squire
Then why even bother responding? I mean, I play the game and I've not tried to hide that fact so it's obvious my post was talking about the current state of things. Not, you know, 3 months after release.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I don't care where you stood 3 months after release, the question is where you stand NOW.
Pissed that after crushing through Nightmare on their first 2 raid zones, their "raiding fix" was a zone with less bosses than either of the first 2 zones and with no Nightmare at release. STILL no new planets have been added, simply too long to wait.

I think most people left when they read the writing on the wall ... BW / EA had no intention to support the title after it launched. They phoned it in after they got the box money, didn't want to 'throw good money after bad'. They dropped the ball, and that was stupid, a lot of potential was there and it was save-able they just didnt want to put the resources in get it up to par. Warhammer Online was handled the same way. They wanted a Day One smash hit and when they didn't get it they packed it in. Look how many of the people who worked on it, ran from it like a house fire in the 2 months following launch.

Moontayle you sound like all those people who crowed about how awesome Age of Conan turned out 2 yrs post launch, who the fuck waits that long for a title to get it's shit together?

moontayle

Golden Squire
I think you misunderstand what I'm getting at when I talk about this game. I am quite aware of its many flaws, probably more so than most people who are on this board and still play. It has changed since launch, and I'm not just talking about the switch to F2P. We're up to 1.6 now, and each patch has brought numerous improvements and additions to the game, in addition to the simple act of fixing shit that's broken. There is still a lot to do, and I can honestly say that I wouldn't recommend this game outright unless someone pressed me on the issue, but on the whole it offers a similar experience to that of its competitors. This includes WoW, which I believe might be taken as blasphemy and will likely garner me some negs, but I played WoW for two years through Vanilla and BC, right up until the Sunwell patch, which I no longer had time to play. When that time came back to me in '11, I picked it up once again, and got two characters to 85. I actually played both WoW and SWTOR during a time when SWTOR was quite obviously an inferior product, but SWTOR eventually won out because when I compared apples to apples, they weren't really that dissimilar. WoW has the polish, and it should after 9 years on the market, but at this point it's 90 levels of the same thing, over and over again. I think SWTOR has more potential, which I admit sounds lame but that's part of why I'm still around.

No one waits around for what's to come though, including me. The ultimate truth is that I enjoy SWTOR for what it is, right here, right now. If that weren't the case I wouldn't be playing it. But any bitching about the game as it stood at launch is just that, bitching. It really has no bearing on the here and now. It's like bitching about shit in NBA 2k12, months after 2k13 hits the shelves.

I think you misunderstand what I'm getting at when I talk about this game. I am quite aware of its many flaws, probably more so than most people who are on this board and still play. It has changed since launch, and I'm not just talking about the switch to F2P. We're up to 1.6 now, and each patch has brought numerous improvements and additions to the game, in addition to the simple act of fixing shit that's broken. There is still a lot to do, and I can honestly say that I wouldn't recommend this game outright unless someone pressed me on the issue, but on the whole it offers a similar experience to that of its competitors. This includes WoW, which I believe might be taken as blasphemy and will likely garner me some negs, but I played WoW for two years through Vanilla and BC, right up until the Sunwell patch, which I no longer had time to play. When that time came back to me in '11, I picked it up once again, and got two characters to 85. I actually played both WoW and SWTOR during a time when SWTOR was quite obviously an inferior product, but SWTOR eventually won out because when I compared apples to apples, they weren't really that dissimilar. WoW has the polish, and it should after 9 years on the market, but at this point it's 90 levels of the same thing, over and over again. I think SWTOR has more potential, which I admit sounds lame but that's part of why I'm still around.

No one waits around for what's to come though, including me. The ultimate truth is that I enjoy SWTOR for what it is, right here, right now. If that weren't the case I wouldn't be playing it. But any bitching about the game as it stood at launch is just that, bitching. It really has no bearing on the here and now. It's like bitching about shit in NBA 2k12, months after 2k13 hits the shelves.
let me know when they put in anti-cheat / hax software and fix resolve. I did enjoy the pvp.

Cthon_sl

shitlord
SWTOR pvp was the bomb. Had so much fun, as it was so different than most other mmos. Sure, the massive Light vs. Dark battles never panned out and the licensed game engine wasn't built with pvp in mind...but I mean, Huttball?! Come on, that shit was fun. Force-push into the fire pit FTW!

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
So I just logged into my preferred account today; I have a max character of every class on empire side, and since it's been awhile and I have no real ties to the game, I figured it was the best time to see the republic stories. If I could make it past level 26, that is.

The things that struck me immediately are how many buttons for paying are next to *everything*. It's also sort of interesting you have to pay for increased bag space, instead of just increasing the credit amount necessary - things like that seem silly. Or showing titles; I keep gaining titles that I can't show, despite being a founder and paying for the game. (Including relevantly enough the "founder" title.)

The thing that probably bugged me the most was not being able to use legacy stuff. My account has only been inactive since November, and with 4 max level characters I had a very high legacy level. Now preferred status and I can't access any of it. Feels bad man.

I'm just hoping someone emulates the game, makes the characters max level so you can just ignore all the filler and do nothing but story quests and romances. That is my dream.

Bacon_sl

shitlord
LadyVex_sl said:
So I just logged into my preferred account today; I have a max character of every class on empire side, and since it's been awhile and I have no real ties to the game, I figured it was the best time to see the republic stories. If I could make it past level 26, that is.

The things that struck me immediately are how many buttons for paying are next to *everything*. It's also sort of interesting you have to pay for increased bag space, instead of just increasing the credit amount necessary - things like that seem silly. Or showing titles; I keep gaining titles that I can't show, despite being a founder and paying for the game. (Including relevantly enough the "founder" title.)

The thing that probably bugged me the most was not being able to use legacy stuff. My account has only been inactive since November, and with 4 max level characters I had a very high legacy level. Now preferred status and I can't access any of it. Feels bad man.

I'm just hoping someone emulates the game, makes the characters max level so you can just ignore all the filler and do nothing but story quests and romances. That is my dream.
First, let me just say that I really enjoyed my time in swtor. The story and leveling experience were far greater than any mmo I've played to date. It's only until I reached endgame, leveling a couple toons to 50, that I saw what was missing from the game. I totally get moontayle's point, how futile it is to bitch about a version of the game when it has changed so much since.

I jumped back in to swtor to see what all the buzz was about with the f2p. Honestly when I hear how the "servers are rock'n" and log in at peak time, only to see the imperial fleet have as many people as a public library, color me skeptical. Regardless, I share LadyVex's view on this. Former players are going to download the f2p client and test the waters before committing to a subscription. When I jump in and see an unfamiliar, stripped down game and reminders of how I have to pay for everything, I'm going to feel a bit jaded. I noticed the inability to equip the founder title too, and I took offense to that. We purchase an mmo at launch assuming it would have endgame to entertain us for even a year. I know we should judge the game on its current state, but they should not judge the players on a "what have you bought from me lately" mentality. They can call it "preferred" all they like, it's just more bs. I enjoyed the game enough that I still want it to succeed. It seems like EA/Bioware can't do anything right, purely because everyone is pissed off at them. They need to cater to their fanbase a bit more, quit focusing on the damn cartel market, fix bugs, and develop new content. EA has deep enough pockets that it could take a loss before it turns a profit. I don't think they are willing to do that though.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Agree Bacon. While I've been playing recently, I've lamented some of the "perks" they removed that are really QOL - mostly saying how much I loved (and still love some parts) of the game and how it had so much potential. None of it makes me want to sub, or pay the price for that perk; it just makes me angry that they care so little about their fan base that even buying the game on release means nothing.

The republic stories aren't anything amazing; I knew that before. But I'm far enough removed from the amazing empire stories that I can appreciate being a smarmy jedi for awhile. Slogging through a huge area, only to not be able to quick travel back because it's on a 2 hr cooldown as a preferred customer is super annoying though.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The only thing that pissed me off is removing all the cool stuff from the hidden away bosses around the world. What a shitty thing to do. Once I learned about this I unsubbed in a second. Fuck them greedy assholes. Broken ass game from the beginning, yet they still find time to remove orange lowbie loot from bosses?

In preparation for our free to play model, we decided to remove all the cool loot around the world so we can sell it in the cash shop.

FUCK YOU! NO YOU CANT HAVE MY MONEY.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
That and the space upgrade debacle sealed it for me. For all the stealing they did from Blizz (yes, yes...I know the irony there), they didnt really steal their approach to impacting the game. Say what you will about Blizz, but so far zero store purchases have impacted gameplay. Again, a small and maybe trivial example, but smelled like a slippery slope test of the playerbase.

I honestly think the game could be salvaged still in the right hands with a simple introduction of public quests and maybe some wholesale re-tuning of pvp and re-assessing the store. I think they probably should've gone the Secret World route and converted to B2P; that would have engendered a ton more goodwill and I don't think I'd have begrudged them taking a few months to fill the store with good vanity items NOT currently in game. At this point, EA is just trying to recoup the investment they made. You almost can't blame EA for this to some degree. They gave Bioware a chance and they shit the bed.

Bacon_sl

shitlord
LadyVex_sl said:
The republic stories aren't anything amazing; I knew that before. But I'm far enough removed from the amazing empire stories that I can appreciate being a smarmy jedi for awhile.
Every person that I knew that didn't like the story in swtor I simply asked, "Did you play republic?" They all answered yes, haha.

Caeden_sl said:
They gave Bioware a chance and they shit the bed.
That is the same phrasing I was going to use for their next debacle. What could they do at this point to lower consumer confidence? That's right, fuck up the cartel market. Apparently the artwork for sets of gear displayed on the ctn looked different than what players received. I'm sure most people would preview the gear on their character before purchase and still purchased the gear. So what do they do? Change the gear to match the artwork, without prior notice. You can imagine the shitstorm on the forums. Paid for cosmetic gear changed... Initial response:

Damion Schubert_sl said:
We are pretty sure we can avoid a solution that forces players to spend additional cartel coins, and I'm not interested in letting a situation linger that leaves the player's faith in what we are offering on the cartel market in a reduced state. It is incredibly important to me, and the rest of the SWTOR team, that players have a high degree of confidence in the market as a whole, and how we deal with issues like this. This has been a learning experience for us, and won't happen again.
He'spretty surethey can avoid a solution to force players to spend moremoney.

Me_sl said:
It seems like EA/Bioware can't do anything right, purely because everyone is pissed off at them.
I take this back. Everyone is mad because they are fucking stupid. They advertise the wrong gear and then swap it out. Either way, everyone will be pissed off by the change. What's your initial response? We're kinda sorta sure we aren't gonna fuck you further by spending more money. At least they've made a simple resolution. At patch 1.7, if you have the set in your inventory you get both versions.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5734634

If players/fans inquire about features mentioned way back (guild starships, free space, fucking chat bubbles) it's met with a, "Oh we can't say just quite yet, we're so super busy making this game super awesome and your wet dream come true." The second there's an issue with the precious cartel market they stand at attention. If this doesn't show where their priorities lie, I don't know what does. It's a sad day when I actually want Disney to step in and try and save this game.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Say what you will about Blizz, but so far zero store purchases have impacted gameplay. Again, a small and maybe trivial example, but smelled like a slippery slope test of the playerbase.
Not true! With Lil'Ragnaros, I have unlimited access to a cooking fire on the go with no cooldown, whereas players without him have to wait 5 minutes or find an oven or campfire. Fucking OP gamebreaking money grab!!!

moontayle

Golden Squire
Theydidavoid a situation where they would force players to spend more money. His follow up later on in the thread highlights how they're going to handle the issue.

If players/fans inquire about features mentioned way back (guild starships, free space, fucking chat bubbles) it's met with a, "Oh we can't say just quite yet, we're so super busy making this game super awesome and your wet dream come true." The second there's an issue with the precious cartel market they stand at attention. If this doesn't show where their priorities lie, I don't know what does. It's a sad day when I actually want Disney to step in and try and save this game.
Now you're just bitching to bitch. NONE of those things you mention have ever been on the "Coming Soon" radar. They were things they wanted topotentiallyimplementin the future.

Bacon_sl

shitlord
Theydidavoid a situation where they would force players to spend more money. His follow up later on in the thread highlights how they're going to handle the issue.

Now you're just bitching to bitch. NONE of those things you mention have ever been on the "Coming Soon" radar. They were things they wanted topotentiallyimplementin the future.
They did avoid anyescalationto the issue, which they created themselves by being asshats. I gave them credit in my post for fixing the issue, if you read through all of my "bitching." None of those things I mentioned on the coming soon radar, huh? Hmm...

http://www.swtor.com/blog/what%E2%80...t-old-republic

Looks to me like space combat and guild capital ships mentioned by the game director over a year ago. No reason to get so heated, I said I wanted the game to do well...

"Force" players to spend more money...haha. New jedi power, Force Purchase, in upcoming patch 1.7. "We had no choice," said the game developer.

ZProtoss

Golden Squire
So far very few people have seen, or know much about the stunning Open World PVP on Ilum; when you get to the high levels prepare to be blown away!
07-minister.jpg

UI customization ? You like choice. We hear you! SWTOR is all about choice. Being able to choose how you interact with an online game is something we feel is very important. We are going to be giving more control over the UI as an ongoing effort. This is a very big priority for us.
1 years later: Pay money to unlock hotbars. LOL.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I don't understand what you guys are whinging about.

The UI is customizable. Less customizable than some (like wow) and more than others (like aion).

They came up with a good solution for the phantom armor debacle and despite their unfortunate wording in that post (about forcing people to spend more money) everyone should be happy with the end result. The fact that it was even blown up to such a proportion is insane, it was a relatively minor (IMO) art/add mistake.

By now people should be pretty aware of what SWTOR is, so continuing to have a cry 1 year later because it hasn't magically changed into the game you had hoped it would be is just sad.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
No, what is sad is how a company with nearly unlimited resources could fuck up a sure thing like Star Wars.