SWTOR

Gecko_sl

shitlord
swtor's fate was sealed long before any public outcry. the game has bigger problems than the engine which frankly has received undue criticism. the developers banked on the creation of alts to drive the game's long-term success, but the problem is that the stories aren't that exciting and there's little variation to warrant visiting the same areas over and over and over. it's basically a solo adventure through lifeless environments and there's no endgame content. i'm actually astounded that some people have been playing this for months.
You hit the nail on the head.

SWTOR the MMO irks me to no end and is extremely limited and short sighted. However, SWTOR the single player experience is one where I can log in to the game occasionally and level through all six storylines at no extra cost and thisworks for me.

Currently, I play the game for fun just like a single player one. I do not play it for all the social and acquisition goodies of MMOs past. I personally think EA are fools as they have given away the best part of the game, the class story lines, for free and push for people to pay to play the treadmill game.

I respect anyone who thinks the game was a total failure. For the amount they spent, I guess I can sort of agree, except I still feel I got my moneys worth and since I play a few days a month even now it's still a good deal for me. Once I finish all the class storylines I'll probably delete the game and never play again, unless EA comes up with a better model and figures out a way to build a new endgame experience, which I doubt they will.

moontayle

Golden Squire
I like how this thread keeps getting all the way down into the second page because pretty everything that could be said, good or bad, about this game has been said so there's no need to keep holding the same discussion over and over again. Then magically AlekseiFL findssomethingthat he feels an overwhelming need to post, and the cycle starts all over again.

I now believe that his Jimmies were rustled quite firmly, either by EA, BW, SWTOR, or some combination of the three. It is now his life's mission to talk about this game, even if no one else wants to.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
I'll enjoy talking about this abortion of an IP all damn day.

Maybe if you don't like people posting about it stop reading the thread?

K13R

Bronze Knight of the Realm
And for my first post.. I deem this game the biggest pile of shit I have ever seen. The biggest disappointment of my gaming life, so bad a consumer of all shit Star Wars like myself won't even play it.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
And for my first post.. I deem this game the biggest pile of shit I have ever seen. The biggest disappointment of my gaming life, so bad a consumer of all shit Star Wars like myself won't even play it.
Let's not rag on piles of shit, at least it has some useful purpose.

Bacon_sl

shitlord
moontayle_sl said:
I like how this thread keeps getting all the way down into the second page because pretty everything that could be said, good or bad, about this game has been said so there's no need to keep holding the same discussion over and over again.
Yeah... it is starting to feel a little recycled. But...

Swagdaddy_sl said:
I'll enjoy talking about this abortion of an IP all damn day.
That was funny as shit. Maybe there should be two separate threads? One for discussions for fans/current players and one for everyone gulping the haterade (myself included, I know). I don't see a point in arguing with folks when there are two different opinions on the game. I can see how it would suck being a fan of something, then being told that it's a shit rag constantly.

Regardless, you have to admit these ads could not be more poorly placed.

rrr_img_11372.jpg

rrr_img_11373.jpg

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Hate on this game all you want, its still one of the more sucessful mmos that came out since WoW and one of the more memorable ones too. Even if EA didnt get to swim piles of money like they thought they would.

That was funny as shit. Maybe there should be two separate threads? One for discussions for fans/current players and one for everyone gulping the haterade (myself included, I know). I don't see a point in arguing with folks when there are two different opinions on the game. I can see how it would suck being a fan of something, then being told that it's a shit rag constantly.
Or the fanboys can learn to suck it up, its a discussion board not an agreement board. irrational need to white knight ANY game, good or bad is just ridiculous. learn to roll with it, state your case and move on, no need to take it personal that people aren't digging what you dig and aren't willing to overlook what you are. Bet the GW2 thread is 10X worse on both fronts, but I wouldn't know for sure cause I give no fucks about that title. I hate TOR 'cause I care.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Anyone who thinks the community is what doomed either swtor or TSW is deluded beyond belief. Also is Osiris another qwerty account? That's a pretty spot on copycat. (IE, you're nuts.)

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ha! That's great. I truly wanted to like this game. I just guess some have lower standards for what an MMO should be. Anyone who thinks the direction this game is headed in is the right one needs their head examined. It's that bad especially if you enjoy raid progression as I think most of us do here. This game should be taken out of the MMO threads in fact, and moved to other games. It barely qualifies as an MMO

I like to think I'm doing my small part on the off chance someone who hasn't played this, will see this and think twice about wasting their time. It's a punchline in the MMO universe, Stay in a galaxy, far far away from this one.

spronk

FPS noob
Hate on this game all you want, its still one of the more sucessful mmos that came out since WoW and one of the more memorable ones too. Even if EA didnt get to swim piles of money like they thought they would.
pretty sure the game is a giant money pit that has never made money and never will. Costs were just out of control, somewhere between $150-300m depending on who you believe. It sold under 2m copies retail (over a year), but lost half the subs within the first 6 months and didn't get a lot of new players after that. Lots of Bioware (ex) employees said last year said that Bioware cancelled all 2012 employee bonuses because SWTOR lost so much money - bonuses were not tied to your product but how Bioware did as a whole, sucked for all the people who worked on Mass Effect 3. At best the game has pulled in under $100m in revenue while costing many times that, not even including the unknown royalties they need to pay to Lucasarts for the Star Wars brand. Plus their monthly expenses when they went live were huge, between way too many servers and staff.

In fact one of the reasons many of us are "mad" at Bioware/SWTOR has nothing to do with the game, but the fact that they spent so much goddamn money and have basically burned PC MMOs for everyone. No one is going to fund any sort of big cost sub based MMO for a decade now, because SWTOR and 38 Studios and the smaller failures are good reasons make it a terrible, terrible, terrible bet. Personally I don't think its such a bad thing, a new innovative different interesting great MMO should be kickstarted for under $10m, don't need to spend ungodly amounts of money. Great things come from small hungry groups, not fat lazy committees.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I still cant believe we never found or received a hard figure on what SWTOR cost to make, outside of rumors. WoW cost around, what, 60 million to develop initially? Which had about the same, if not more content than SWTOR initially. Couldn't imagine the amount of jokes that would be made about Bioware if we had an actual break down of numbers. Voice acting, you don't say?!

DavivMcD

Peasant
Currently, I play the game for fun just like a single player one. I do not play it for all the social and acquisition goodies of MMOs past. I personally think EA are fools as they have given away the best part of the game, the class story lines, for free and push for people to pay to play the treadmill game.
Yeah I thought I was gonna end up playing it this way too. Then I went and played through Mass Effect 3 again and realized how much shit they wrapped around what could have been a magnificent gem as KOTOR 3. Not to mention the F2P changes to the leveling curve turn it from a generally fun and casual experience to a stressful game of catch-up with only orange and red quests available and all the good loot dangled right outside of your reach.

Kinaniff_sl

shitlord
I enjoyed both SWTOR and TSW. Both provided great entertainment value for the cost of the box and a few bucks a month. Same goes for some of these other mmos (when I have time to play). The cost of a subscription is less than a movie ticket with a drink and popcorn, or a couple beers and a shot. I am not sure of the financial state of those that agonize so dramatically over the cost of these games. Who's payin their cabal TV bill? Some make it sound like it's down to paying the sub or getting a new refrigerator box to sleep in. I also am of the opinion that what a lot of forum posters describe as needing in a game for it to be satisfactory to them sounds more like they are asking for therapy, not a computer game. Dissatisfaction, like beauty, is oft in the eye of the beholder.

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
The people who bitch about the game are the same ones who use logic to tell you why. Let's say you dropped $60 on the box and paid for a months sub at $14.99 (plus a month free right I think) so that gives you $75 invested into the game. Let us also suppose the person has a job so in those two months they played for 50 hours. That means for every entertainment hour they have spent $1.50. I wasn't dumb fuck enough to buy the game after having played beta but I could see why someone would get pissy over this amount of $1.50/ hour. That is expensive. With MMO's the "deal" comes when you start spending hundreds or thousands of hours logged in and engaged in the short term they are worse deals than single player games. So anyone who bought the box and the sub and hated the shit has a reason to cry shenanigans. I almost feel a twinge of pity for those clueless dimwits who bought the collector's edition at $150 as that dramatically increases the price point per hour. So we're clear yes $1.50 is cheaper than a movie, soda, and popcorn but that's why I don't go to the fucking movies very often. I tend to go see the big ticket films for the theater experience and then get the rest on red box/Netflix/Amazon/torrent. As a frame of reference watching 50 hours of TV costs me $1.00 per hour. Surfing the Internet for 50 hours with my fast as shit Internetz costs me $1.20. I bought Skyrim when it came out for $60 and have put 317 hours into it total which gives me a price of about $0.19/hour (pro tip that's a good deal fuck stick). I have been playing Rift since release and even after buying literally everything I could for the game including subs for a year at a time I am currently at $0.70/hour with about 9 months of "free" sub time left. Diablo 3 I paid $60 bucks for and I think I have put about 30ish hours into it across all characters which gives me $2.00/hour (guess which game that I bought in 2011 gave me the biggest disappointment). Disappointment is not (at the very least not entirely) "in the eyes of the beholder" it usually is a simple matter of fucking numbers.

P.S. Best deal ever was the Orange Box which I grabbed for $50 on release and between Half-Life, Half Life 2, plus episodes, plus TF2, plus portal I have a total of 600ish hours into it putting me around $0.08/hour.

Kinaniff_sl

shitlord
The people who bitch about the game are the same ones who use logic to tell you why. Let's say you dropped $60 on the box and paid for a months sub at $14.99 (plus a month free right I think) so that gives you $75 invested into the game. Let us also suppose the person has a job so in those two months they played for 50 hours. That means for every entertainment hour they have spent $1.50. I wasn't dumb fuck enough to buy the game after having played beta but I could see why someone would get pissy over this amount of $1.50/ hour. That is expensive. With MMO's the "deal" comes when you start spending hundreds or thousands of hours logged in and engaged in the short term they are worse deals than single player games. So anyone who bought the box and the sub and hated the shit has a reason to cry shenanigans. I almost feel a twinge of pity for those clueless dimwits who bought the collector's edition at $150 as that dramatically increases the price point per hour. So we're clear yes $1.50 is cheaper than a movie, soda, and popcorn but that's why I don't go to the fucking movies very often. I tend to go see the big ticket films for the theater experience and then get the rest on red box/Netflix/Amazon/torrent. As a frame of reference watching 50 hours of TV costs me $1.00 per hour. Surfing the Internet for 50 hours with my fast as shit Internetz costs me $1.20. I bought Skyrim when it came out for $60 and have put 317 hours into it total which gives me a price of about $0.19/hour (pro tip that's a good deal fuck stick). I have been playing Rift since release and even after buying literally everything I could for the game including subs for a year at a time I am currently at $0.70/hour with about 9 months of "free" sub time left. Diablo 3 I paid $60 bucks for and I think I have put about 30ish hours into it across all characters which gives me $2.00/hour (guess which game that I bought in 2011 gave me the biggest disappointment). Disappointment is not (at the very least not entirely) "in the eyes of the beholder" it usually is a simple matter of fucking numbers.

P.S. Best deal ever was the Orange Box which I grabbed for $50 on release and between Half-Life, Half Life 2, plus episodes, plus TF2, plus portal I have a total of 600ish hours into it putting me around $0.08/hour.

I don't confuse some low functioning individual experiencing adolescent angst over a $50 purchase with logic. If you lost a $450,000 IRA in Citibank in '08, I could understand.

Some pro tips for you fuck stick: Rice and beans, water instead of coke if you splurge on the dollar menu at MickyD's. And are you in for a rude awakening if you ever get a date.

On a positive note, that is some impressive accounting. Never hurts to pay attention to the details.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Bro lost the argument when he said he'd been paying to play rift since release. You've paid like $350 to play World of Warcraft's half retarded brother.

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
Don't get pissy with me because you're a goddamn idiot. What we're using is a very real number to determine the value of a game aside from aesthetics and other forms of immeasurable (i.e. opinion orientated you mouth breathing faggot) criteria. Generally the better the game the more value that is gotten out of it because, surprise fucking surprise, people play fun games more than they play shit eating games. That's great you discovered money like two weeks ago we're all very impressed, but the examples of value I gave to attempt to enlighten your dumbfuckery has nothing to fucking do with how affordable something is as opposed to what the "experience of play" was worth.