SWTOR

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
Got five imp at 65 now, one of each warrior including darth balls
wink.png
who I started at release.

Started a couple of reps now, its so juch easier and faster levelling than it was at release.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That's not exactly what he asked I think. Collections is only available for items from the cartel market, yes. So you cannot unlock a mount that drops from a nightmare operation (Wings of the Architect) for example. Yes, many people think that is a stupid limitation in a game with expiring availabilities.

The overwhelming majority of my armor unlocks I got from the GTN and did so prior to 4.0's neutering of the cartel market. My philosophy was simple: if it was up for 4500 and I didn't have it unlocked, buy it. That doesn't happen much these days since the only way to get old sets is from the armor packs (which aren't even sold right now)

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Ah yes, my bad. You will need to grind credits or pay real money for the items, you can not get them as "drops".

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
There's a bit of a wrinkle to it though. Cartel items you buy off the AH will just unlock for that character. To unlock it for your collection to make copies across your legacy still costs some CC.

This is still easier than buying the packs and just hoping you get something good. Of course some shit is pack only.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Damn, Oh well..

was looking forward to spending some quality time farming cool sets not playing the AH game = /

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Damn, Oh well..

was looking forward to spending some quality time farming cool sets not playing the AH game = /
Well, to be fair, if you only play one char (I myself is an altoholic, 18 lvl 65... I need a life) you can unlock stuff by "playing the AH game" and wont have to sink real money into the game. Its actually a quite addictive solo player game as it stands.

kaxfenix

N00b
Got an offer to up to 60 checked it out on act 1 so far of the new expac. ( Newish ? ) Pretty cool will probably throw a sub at this and see what happens. Any suggestions.. Can I go back at some point an dplay through the original content.

The Story in the new Expac makes you out to be some war hero, which I guess it assumes this from your exploits in the original story and other expansions etc?

Malakriss

If you use the free boosted 60 that automatically starts KotFE or manually start the expansion on character you are not able to go back and complete the class story missions (aka Chapters 1-3) or companion conversations. So if you want to experience that plot you have to level up from 1 normally.

kaxfenix

N00b
If you use the free boosted 60 that automatically starts KotFE or manually start the expansion on character you are not able to go back and complete the class story missions (aka Chapters 1-3) or companion conversations. So if you want to experience that plot you have to level up from 1 normally.
Got it thanks!

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Well, to be fair, if you only play one char (I myself is an altoholic, 18 lvl 65... I need a life) you can unlock stuff by "playing the AH game" and wont have to sink real money into the game. Its actually a quite addictive solo player game as it stands.
Yeah I get that it is an option to do that, I just don't feel as much achievement buying things from an AH or cash shop than I do going out, destroying monsters and getting a %%age chance drop on an item.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
So ...many ....abilities ........oh god.
It only seems like that until you realize which skills replace others and which are completely useless. Sure, you'll never get it down to GW2 or ESO numbers, but it's no worse than games like WoW.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Most classes can run with 4-6 primary skills anyway, with 1-2 of those being proc or situational anyway.

Helldiver

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Tips and Info, if it has already been mentioned, then ignore me.

Insta-60
Careful buying/using the auto level 60 (or the insta-60 Cartel Market token). For purposes of the Legacy buffs, insta-60sdo notcount towards that. Additionally, insta-60 will not unlock all the companions for it. Insta-60 do not get any story achievements or perks or anything. The only legacy unlocks you get is congrats on being XYZ at 60. Only use the insta-60 for an Advanced class you don't already have. For example; you have a Jedi Guardian Tank and now you decide you want a Jedi Guardian Sentinel (DPS). Since they share everything pretty much, you don't miss by Insta-60ing the Sentinel.

Skills
-On average, you'll have 5-6 main skills you cycle through, usually on your main bar (almost always just 5, the 6th being an AOE or situational). Their cool downs are typically less than 15 seconds and almost always require some sort of resource (rage/focus for example). I have these on 1-5
-3-4, Emergency or "Shit hit the fan" type skills you keep on your main bar. These are instant, and don't require resource. They're just on long timers (usually about 1-2 minutes, but talents lower this). I have these on 7 through 9.
-3-4 "Cool Downs" which you keep on another bar. These are class specials which are usually less than 30 seconds, but not as fast as your main skills. Things like Taunts, Stuns, Force Jump, and so on. Situational shit you don't insta cast all the time. I have these on F1-F5.
-1-2 Interrupts. I have these on key 7 or 8 depending on the class.

In play you'll be cycling through 5 skills really, keeping your mouse on the others or using the occasional function keys. If you're playing a smuggler/sniper/agent what ever that uses Cover, bind that shit to a mouse button or some common key like Q or E, since you'll be using that a lot. Although if you detest the clunkyness of how cover works, there should be a build that has skills that don't rely on cover. I don't know them off hand but the Advanced Skill summary should let you know.

If you're cycling through more than 6 main skills (and you're not a PvP build), then you might have a skill that's chucking your resources and isn't as good as another. Check Dulfy or any build guide to make sure. Practice on heroics until you got your cycle down pretty fast. By 65, you should be killing heroic silvers in one cycle. If the silvers are not less than 15% health, move your skills around until you maximize your dps (yes that includes tanks).

Gearing and Exp
Always start at level 1 if it is a core class you don't have. Don't do the auto-60 since you can get screwed. Insta-60s start with no Data Crystals.
-Stick to main story quests. Them combined with heroics should level you over what you have to be. You should be 60 by the time you get to Makeb. Makeb will get you to 65. Story quests got permanently increased by 200% exp.
-Grab all Heroics in one shot. Group with as many people as you can for the money bonus. I've gone from 10K to 900K credits by running all of the heroics in Corelia+Hoth+Belsavis+their bonuses in a group of three. In a group of four I should have hit 1million credits easily.
-Heroics all reward the same regardless of level. If you're level 60 and run a level 10 heroic, you'll get level 60 experience and money and gear.

Don't waste crystals modding anything, use Heroic gear rewards until you hit 65. Heroics will give you random, level appropriate blue gear. Just make sure you pick the box that has the right stuff for your class/build.
Don't waste crystals or money on slottables until you're 65. Heroics will give you blue weapons you can level with. Otherwise, get any orange weapon and slot it with green mods (but just the weapon, don't worry about armor).

If you can run Tactical Flashpoints, they will help you gear up faster (especially at 65). Tactical FP will always drop a random 208 at the end of them.

If you're 65 and can't find the hilt/barrel for your weapon. Blow the 150 common and buy the offhand saber/pistol and unslot the 208 hilt/barrel. Slot it into your orange moddable weapon. The Mastery/Endurance will be off, but the difference isn't that great and it will hold you out until you get the right ones from Hardmodes/Ops. FYI, you can't slot this one into a main weapon. I thought you could slot it into an orange cartel weapon that has both main and offhand. I ran out of crystals to test it though.

If your character looks like shit, use the outfit designer to look baddass. You can put pretty much anything in there even if your class can't use it (such as Heavy armor on a cloth wearer). However, if the armor is class restricted (the ones with Smuggler/Trooper only type thing), then you won't be able to put it in the outfit designer. Your companions can wear any type of gear as well (light medium heavy, it doesn't matter).

Yes that means you can be Boba Fett dual wielding lightsabers.

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Yeah in PVE I cycle through 6-7 skills with the occasional cooldown here and there, it's no big deal. In PvP however ...holy fack.

+Nets to helldiver tho, that was useful and well put.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When I came back from being away since launch and used my free insta 60 thing to make a Republic trooper I got everything including the class buff and all the companions unlocked

Malakriss

Which is one of the many wonders of Bioware coding that you accept and don't tell people about.