System Shock Remake + 3?!?!?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Wasnt System Shock 2 the more popular genre defining game?
System Shock 1 was super ahead of its time. System Shock 1 has more in common with Deus Ex as far as gameplay goes, while System Shock 2 is more directly a progenitor to Bioshock. But none of those other games happen without System Shock 1.

I remember having the System Shock 1 demo on a PC Gamer disk and realizing "wow I need to learn a lot more about computers if I want to be able to run and play this." Between that and Dark Forces is how I got into really understanding operating systems, troubleshooting and PC optimization.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Wantonsoup95

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Tie fighter taught me how to make a boot disk.

Now if it's not plug and play, fuck that I didn't need to use it.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Another thing about System Shock 1 was that the controls were incredibly confusing at the time. Having only seen Wolfenstein and Doom, the idea that you would need to use a mouse for inventory and interactive screens was baffling.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Never played ss1. Was too young and the game too complex.

Also didnt have my own pc at the time.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
System Shock 2 co-op was the shit, to this day it's one of me and my best friend's favorite game experiences. Was so fucking disappointed that more FPS in the 2000-2010 era weren't co-op (basically zero).

Co-op makes (most) everything better if well-implemented.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Sounds like the PS5 version (what I'm waiting for) still doesn't have a release date or even a window. Damn.

• 1Pathetic

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Never played ss1. Was too young and the game too complex.

Also didnt have my own pc at the time.
Same, I was playing super mario in the early 90s. The first PC game I played was warcraft ii.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
First PC for me was Doom at work. Someone figured out how to put it on linux and we played the shit out of it. But I did not get my first PC until like 1999 and first game at home was EQ which the wife bought for me loool. Before this I was 100% console ranging from PS1 all they way back to Super Nintendo and when I was a kid, Atari 2600. But once I got the PC I never looked back, it was pretty much 100% PC games from that point on.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
jesus christ ppl will sell anything
5d41feb05513e00774bd1813effd57cb.png

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Shit, I probably have 20 of those disks on a CD ream, sitting in a box somewhere in the attic. Hard to believe anyone would buy them.

I also missed the boat on the System Shock games. Even though I had a computer when it was released, I could only get a few games a year as a kid, and 1994 was the year of Masters of Magic, Wing Commander 3, Doom 2, and Death Gate (I'm still salty that I wasted money on that one).

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
My first PC game was Half-Life. I remember buying System Shock or System Shock 2 but it scared the shit out of me at age 10 and I never really played it.

I distinctly remember doing the “training” years where you choose Marines vs Navy vs PsyOps to create a character but once I got into the actual game OH HELL NO

Last edited:
  • 2Worf
  • 1Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Shit, I probably have 20 of those disks on a CD ream, sitting in a box somewhere in the attic. Hard to believe anyone would buy them.

I also missed the boat on the System Shock games. Even though I had a computer when it was released, I could only get a few games a year as a kid, and 1994 was the year of Masters of Magic, Wing Commander 3, Doom 2, and Death Gate (I'm still salty that I wasted money on that one).
Should have spent your money on a shrink wrapper.

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Should have spent your money on a shrink wrapper.
I may or may not have figured out how to open and close boxes to make them look unopened, then returned some games after playing them, but that was when I was a bit older. I have all those 94 games laying around in a box somewhere too.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
My first PC game was Half-Life. I remember buying System Shock or System Shock 2 but it scared the shit out of me at age 10 and I never really played it.
Yeah, when I finally did get System Shock to work, it scared the shit out of me and I never got past the second floor.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Otto

Heh, I'm one of those people that would buy this. I've collected every issue of PC Gamer, Computer Gaming World and many other gaming magazines since I was a kid. I'm missing a few CD's from my Electronic Entertainment Magazine collection.

I bought the 3.5 disk version of System Shock when it first came out. Family computer could barely run it at the time.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Heh, I'm one of those people that would buy this. I've collected every issue of PC Gamer, Computer Gaming World and many other gaming magazines since I was a kid. I'm missing a few CD's from my Electronic Entertainment Magazine collection.

I bought the 3.5 disk version of System Shock when it first came out. Family computer could barely run it at the time.
jesus pentium recommended
2c4574eba993c38e48d571208e561285.png

• 1Like

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I totally recall and love playing SS2. But have zero recollection of the 1st one. At some point I'll give this a go. Currently immersed in Fallout 3/NV and I forgot how all consuming they are. I looked up the other day and it was 4 in the morning.

• 3Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, I couldn't run it on my computer back in the day. But I remember watching people play it at my local gaming store. IIRC you could even set your character's posture (leaning to the right or left, standing, crouching, porone...) which was something new. Very progressive for it's day. Also, you could rip people's arms off and then batter them to death with the limb. Those were the days...