Tablets

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm only a few days into inheriting it through work, but I have to say the Surface Pro isn't really so bad. We tried to deploy one at work, and some apps just aren't compatible with Citrix/IE10, so I traded my similarly specced laptop for it.

The screen is absolutely beautiful. 1920x1080 on such a small screen really is a joy to use, and it seems as though it has plenty of processing power in the 3rd gen i5.

I know I can run most every x86 app, but I'm curious if anyone has come across any Metro style apps that I could use one handed or with a stylus? I'm having shoulder surgery soon, and will be without my dominant hand for about 3-4 weeks.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Most folks have said the Pro is a great device, just really pricey.

I know Gabe from Penny-Arcade got to try one out, used it to do some comics from the road and keep his kid busy playing games and loved it enough that he went out and bought one.

Tenks

Yeah no one said the pro was a bad piece of technology. Just that the price was way too high to justify it.

Mageling

Truth. It's essentially ultrabook (pre Haswell) specs for an extra $300-400. I don't think I could have ever purchased one on my own, but I'm quite happy that I have it as a secondary work machine now.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Truth. It's essentially ultrabook (pre Haswell) specs for an extra $300-400. I don't think I could have ever purchased one on my own, but I'm quite happy that I have it as a secondary work machine now.
It isn't THAT much more, it is comparable to an11" i5 Asus Zenbookwhich now costs ~$850 with Haswell out. The 128GB Pro is $1100 with the cover, so about $250 more the now discounted price.

I'd probably buy one if I weren't already about to build a new Gaming PC and hadn't picked up a new Asus Ultralight only 2 1/2 years ago. The Haswell pro should be really nice, the second generation of something is usually a huge leap over the first plus Haswell is awesome for laptops.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
if anyone is interested the Nook Tablets are ON SALE right now

the 16gig 10" hd+ is 150 until the 16th. 32gig is 180. 7" version is 130.

Mageling

It isn't THAT much more, it is comparable to an11" i5 Asus Zenbookwhich now costs ~$850 with Haswell out. The 128GB Pro is $1100 with the cover, so about $250 more the now discounted price.

I'd probably buy one if I weren't already about to build a new Gaming PC and hadn't picked up a new Asus Ultralight only 2 1/2 years ago. The Haswell pro should be really nice, the second generation of something is usually a huge leap over the first plus Haswell is awesome for laptops.
I guess I should have specified that I have the type cover as well as a few other accessories. The new Asus Zenbooks look really really sexy.

if anyone is interested the Nook Tablets are ON SALE right now

the 16gig 10" hd+ is 150 until the 16th. 32gig is 180. 7" version is 130.
Holy balls. The HD+ for $150 is CRAZY cheap.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Just received mine today, really liking it a lot. Basically works exactly like my Galaxy S4, just in giganto tablet form. Not 100% sure how much I'll use the stylus, but it is quite easy to write with if you had any need to take handwritten notes(students). Nice little touch that it auto-detects when the stylus is removed from its holder, and all the stylus-compatible apps pop up on a list, ready to use. Couldn't be easier. Crazy thing is, it only weighs 3 ounces more than my wife's 7" Nook Color(but is noticeably heavier than my Nexus 7, which I expected)

And not specific to the tablet, but god bless google's account sync. Log in to my google account once, and all my bookmarks are there for Chrome, all my music is there in google music, all my books are there in google books(even on the same page that I left them last). Really makes swapping over to a new device easy as hell, don't even have to plug in a single cord anywhere to transfer anything. Everything was synced and ready to go in about 2 minutes on my home wifi.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Picked up the $399 Samsung 11.6" 64gb from Woot today. Was going to get my wife the Asus Vivotab Smart they have on commercials for $499 but this thing is $100 cheaper and has pen support, decision was easier than picking PS4 over Xbone.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Finally had the guts to Root my Nexus 7 and install a ROM on it. Nexus7 has been one of my better gadget purchases.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I guess I should have specified that I have the type cover as well as a few other accessories. The new Asus Zenbooks look really really sexy.
The Zenbooks are gorgeous, I really want one of those too
biggrin.png
I suppose it depends on what you want or have already. I don't have a tablet (or even a smart phone) so if I needed a laptop as well the Surface Pro would be a good choice, even though it is a little more expensive.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
my stepmom got my father a nook hd+ today. so tomorrow i get to set it up for him.
Don't teach your father how to torrent ebooks. I made that fucking mistake and I've been suffering ever since as free fucking tech support.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
oh he knows how i can get him free stuff

couple of things, i had not looked at the hd+ previously

1- they sell a adaptor to HDMI plug so you can plug it into pretty much any tv with hdmi- step mom got that - nice
2- the cover she got- nook branded, the tablet senses when the cover is open or not (not sure if it does this for all covers) it's a nice touch.
3- google play means this tablet is really nice to have- interestingly, it no longer comes with netflix installed.

now about my dad..has an android smartphone(razr hd), had NO IDEA he had a google play account- i figured out his password based on his past passwords
installed es file explorer mxvideo player netflix and a few other things. he is going to use it as a media player so i told him to have me order a 64gig cl4 microsd card and i'd get all his dvd's transfered over to the card.

Tenks

Has anyone ever had issues with VLC off the Play store? When I first opened it it gave me a giant warning saying it is in beta and don't expect it to work. I'm trying to get away from having to use Playstation Media Server to stream my torrented shows because, honestly, it is a giant pile of shit. So I'm just putting them on my tablet and streaming via HDMI. Wasn't sure if there is a better media player on the store other than VLC.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
i am assuming you are meaning streaming "server" not media player correct?

media player -MX Video player is imo the best of the bunch.

media streaming- got me -sorry, i just stream the other way, from my computer/router to my tablet. i use the readyshare usb plug on my router for most of my items.

Tenks

Yeah sorry just a media player. But I wouldn't be opposed to some application that allows me to access my computer's files on the LAN and play them w/o having to transfer to the tablet.