Tablets

apex

Golden Knight of the Realm
Thoughts on a 8-10" full blown Win 8 tablet?
I want one but I'm waiting for the next gen to come out. Should be better on power consumption and hopefully be able to use more than the current 2gb RAM limit.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I like myW700but can see why people would want to wait for newer/slimmer hardware with similar/better performance. It's a nice tablet though as long as the weight and stuff aren't a problem, I typically take it out of the case (which came with it) if I'm going to use it for longer periods.

Don't regret moving on from our Android/iOS tablets at all, though we use them less because wife and I both have Note 2s now (and neither of us ever see ourselves getting a phone w/ a smaller screen ever as a result)

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
After a week or so of having MS surface RT I'm going to be returning it.

Let me be clear that I'm not returning it because if the tablet itself. It's an amazing piece of technology that will only get better as more and more apps come to the Windows environment.

I'm returning it because between my phone and then my desktop computer I really have no use for a tablet. Has anyone else ran into this problem? Everything I was doing on the tablet is more convenient on my droid phone. If I need more computing power I go and use my desktop.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Windows RT is garbage. If you get a tablet running actual Windows 8, though, they're awesome. I'm most likely going to be replacing my 2011 Macbook Pro once some Haswell chip tablets come out.

Crone

I didn't have a problem with Windows RT at all, because I wasn't trying to use it as a laptop normal computer. Maybe that's my issue. It wasn't light enough to be convenient to hold one handed as a mobile device, in my opinion, but it was too small, and not powerful enough to be considered a full on laptop.

I don't know, even if I had a Surface Pro, I'd be returning it. I have no reason for the tablet form factor that my mobile phone doesn't do just as convenient.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have a PC, Laptop, Smartphone, and Tablet and find uses for all of them during the course of a week. The laptop least of all now probably because my tablet IS full Windows 8. It's just based on your life and your hobbies/habits. Some people don't need more than 1 of those 4 things, some (like me) benefit from having all of them.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
Yeah, i have pretty much every available platform. Laptop, Desktop, iPhone and iPad. Since getting the iPad, i have used my laptop a handful of times. I dont think its been plugged in in 2 months... Anytime i need to do any type of content creation or something that the iPad couldnt handle, i would go directly to the desktop. The laptop just became pointless except for business trips, and honestly i hate having to carry it for those now. I think having a full blown win8 tablet could get me to phase it out completely

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I'm returning it because between my phone and then my desktop computer I really have no use for a tablet. Has anyone else ran into this problem? Everything I was doing on the tablet is more convenient on my droid phone. If I need more computing power I go and use my desktop.
Personally I've wound up using my Nexus 10 far less than I expected to. Really the only time it sees significant use is when I travel, where it has displaced my laptop (which was also only really used when traveling). But that's just for my usage. My girlfriend has largely stopped using her laptop as her primary computing device in favor of her iPad. I don't regret buying the Nexus 10 though, it's great for plane rides etc. But for the vast majority of my computing I still use a desktop at work or home, or my HTPC while sitting on my couch.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Hope this is the right thread to ask this.

My iPad has been running really slow latley. It is an iPad II about 3 years old. I have turned off all notifications and freed up some space. I did the doubl click the hm button trick to turn off apps still using memory. I have been rebooting or and powering off with more frequency to help as well. It is still running slower that's normal. Is there anything I can do or do iPads need to be put out to pasture after 3 years?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Getting a little heavy on the white people problems in here. Let me contribute!

I have a desktop and smartphone, so I was weary about buying a tablet. Now, after getting a nexus 7, I rarely use my phone. I'd regret that more if the tablet cost more, but whatever.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I only use internet on my phone when I'm away from my home or office, like in a restaurant or bar or in my car or something. Otherwise its computer or tablet 100% of the time. Tablets are so much nicer than trying to do any web surfing on a phone, you can actually use full websites instead of mobile versions pretty easily and still be able to read and navigate them comfortably.

Crone

Personal preference, because I view full websites on my phone just fine. It's not a massive Samsung Note or anything. Just a Droid Bionic. Doesn't bother me at all.

I never had a laptop or had a need for one, so throwing a tablet into the mix, will net the same results. Still don't have a need for a tablet/laptop.

I loved Windows 8 though. It takes some getting used to on a desktop PC, but as a mobile OS I think it's amazing.

Neph_sl

shitlord
Hope this is the right thread to ask this.

My iPad has been running really slow latley. It is an iPad II about 3 years old. I have turned off all notifications and freed up some space. I did the doubl click the hm button trick to turn off apps still using memory. I have been rebooting or and powering off with more frequency to help as well. It is still running slower that's normal. Is there anything I can do or do iPads need to be put out to pasture after 3 years?
I have a 2.5 yr old iPad 2 and it's also pretty slow. But I was just attributing it's slowness to the act that I've upgraded my desktop and phone but not the iPad. So everything around it was getting faster, while it stayed the same. I'll probably sell it and get an iPad 4 though just for the extra lightning connector.

wrt usage/#firstworldproblems, phone is for when I'm out of the house, laptop is for work/gaming, desktop/HTPC is for watching TV, storing photos/music, and backups. iPad is for select gaming (FFIV right now) and for browsing facebook/twitter while watching TV. Everything has its own niche and gets use.

Crone

I'm not sure if this is for sure, as it seems a bit off, but I'm returning my Surface RT, and because I got the type cover for free, with the deal they recently had, Microsoft said that I could keep it.

So... I assume the type cover for Surface Pro or RT is the same, but I have a type cover I'm willing to unload cheap. Trade for some steam game codes?

Black. Hardly used but a few times.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
After a week or so of having MS surface RT I'm going to be returning it.

Let me be clear that I'm not returning it because if the tablet itself. It's an amazing piece of technology that will only get better as more and more apps come to the Windows environment.

My tablet has nearly retired my laptop when traveling except when I want to play League on the road.

I use my desktop the most, but if I am at home, I use my tablet over my phone for browsing/checking email/FB/whatever on the couch or if I dont feel like getting out of bed yet. Granted my droid phone (thunderbolt) is badly in need of an upgrade, but my Nexus 10 is far more enjoyable to use when I don't need to be at the desktop.

Celebrindal

Golden Squire
Getting an iPad mini this week. Never had an iPad before, is there anything worth having on it? A list of must-haves or worth checking out?

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'd definitely wait on the mini until the next generation when they will allegedly have retina display... although I'm not sure how terrible non-retina display is on the mini, I just think it was a retarded oversight/money grab on Apple's part to not include it in the first iteration.