Tablets

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
So I sent back the Dell Venue 8 Pro and bought the HP Omni 10. The screen size is much better for running Windows. It also has a fantastic high-res screen. The port placements are dumb as hell, with all of them being on the bottom when held in landscape orientation. I even installed WoW on it and it played on low settings. It wouldn't install directly onto the SD card. I had to make a local folder then link it to a folder on the SD card. Overall, it's a nice little machine.

With that said, I'm sending this one back, too. HP doesn't make any keyboard docks for it, and I have decided that is something I'm going to want to use with it. Sure, you can buy universal keyboard cases and whatnot, but I want something made for it, fits perfectly, and looks good. So, I'm going to try the Venue Pro 11 next. They're $339 at their Outlet store.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
bought a wd 1tb ultra external to go along with the dell venue 8 for our trip to japan, (to store pics and shit) this little tiny ass tablet is gonna save so much weight!

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Ive almost bought a Venue a few times now, really need to get rid of my W700 and just order the thing. Have a severe case of 'dont really need it' and 'save for the next version/wave of W8 tablets'.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Newegg has the Asus T100 32GB refurb on sale for $289.99 with $25 discount if you use V.me to checkout. I picked one up for my birthday.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Is a 7" tablet large enough for reading comics/graphic novels or should I go with a 10"?

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
7" isokfor comics in landscape. Problem is you have to scroll down each page, which isn't a big deal. It just gets obnoxious with 2 page spreads. But yeah, if you're going to be reading a lot of comics 10" is absolutely the way to go. Having a page just be a page is way better,

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
If you're eyeing a 9 inch Kindle they'll let you pay over 4 months now, FYI.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
9" Nook is less than half the price of a 9" Kindle. I like Amazon, but they are getting stupid with their Kindle prices and proprietary shit(no Google Play store on Kindles)

If I'm buying an android tablet, I wouldn't touch a kindle. Way too expensive, especially considering the shit they try to pull.

Vaclav

Don't see the value differences, current Nook compares to the nonHDX Kindle, and it's a $30 difference between them with the Kindle HD having a camera being the only major difference.

HDX are drastically overpriced though, yes.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
except the non HDX Kindle near that pricepoint is still 7". Amazon doesn't make a tablet over 7" that is under like $370 anymore. Its ridiculous. So yeah, the 32GB Nook HD+ is $179, the 32GB Kindle Fire HDX is $285, and the Nook is a 9" screen vs the Kindles 7". It's really a no-brainer if someone wants an e-reader.

Sure, the Nook isnt the best android tablet on the market, but it has incredible value if you want an e-reader that is bigger than 7". You just cant get a decent 9-10" Android tablet from anyone else for under $200.

To compare 9" tablet to 9" tablet, 32GB Nook HD+ is $179, Amazon Kindle HDX 8.9 32GB is $444.

Sure the Kindle is more powerful and has a higher rez screen, but the Nook is a perfectly suitable 1280p for less than half the cost.

Vaclav

Guess it recently went back up, was $189-219 most of the year to date including like 2 weeks ago when I was musing another to not need to share thelarge one with the wife.

Not to mention WiFi is the only option for Nook - fine for most but a huuuuuge difference to some. Also saying it's limited to only the stated space is somewhat inaccurate since its got cloud services for Amazon content plus a limited amount otherwise.

Don't get me wrong, Nook ain't bad but the difference vs sale prices and equivalent models is marginal. (Note: I do personally loathe Barnes & Noble management from ages ago, never would support them personally their regional management they put into place while helping Babbages get back on their feet included a witch hunt vs my manager and I as ASM because we managed ZERO theft in a store in a country town for two quarters... You know, stuff that a normal company pats you on the back for...)

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Why would anyone get a nook or one of those other crappy 7" when you can get the Nexus 7 for the same price if not cheaper (Ive seen them as low as $135 for the 16gb model)

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Because the NOOK IS A 9 INCH SCREEN. It's priced like a cheap 7", but has a better than 1080p 9" screen(1280p). HUGE difference.

You can't find a decent 9-10" tablet for twice the cost of a Nook HD+

Everyone seems to be completely missing this point. The whole discussion started because someone wanted an e-reader with a screen bigger than 7" screen, and the Nook is far and away the best value for something significantly bigger than 7"

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
OH, I thought it was a 7"... Sorry and disregard then.
biggrin.png