Tablets

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I'm in love with my Venue 8 Pro, but I don't use it in desktop mode. I think the 8 inch screen size is perfect for reading, web browsing, and watching TV/movies, while still being easy to hold and move around.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Got an unexpected safety bonus and was eyeballing this hereCertified Refurbished Kindle Fire HD 8.9 Tablet, I was really considering the Nook but my entire library is through my Kindle. Do you think there is a huge difference between the HD and HDX?

EDIT: Holy shit I just realized I have to pay MORE for an ad free experience on the Fire...WTF Amazon!? I think I'll just get the Nook, thanks for the recommendations everyone.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, Amazon has really done a lot of consumer-unfriendly, retarded shit with the newer Kindles.

FYI, grab Calibre for your PC and you can convert all your ebooks quickly and easily to any format

calibre - E-book management

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Eh Heko: The "ads" are just the lock screen, and 50% or so are free apps and books, with half of the others being deep discounts.

It's a really silly thing to be a deal breaker.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Well, a new 32GB 9" Nook is still 20 bucks cheaper than a refurb 16GB 9" Kindle w/ads. Its a no-brainer, go Nook.

Vaclav

Nod, your other arguments are definitely worth considering. The ads bit is just silly though, frankly I'd be annoyed if myads flipped off - probably forget to grab Amazon First stuff without for one, heh.

Hekotat

Nod, your other arguments are definitely worth considering. The ads bit is just silly though, frankly I'd be annoyed if myads flipped off - probably forget to grab Amazon First stuff without for one, heh.
I just read about the ad thing on a review comparison site, I didn't know it was just the lock screen. Still annoying though.

Can't you just use the kindle app on the Nook?

Vaclav

Yes, for most things. Kindle First and the free dictation are Kindle device specific I believe though.

Also if camera matters to you, that's another Kindle 8.9 plus.

They're both excellent choices though, although do keep in mind the first couple months this year new Kindle 8.9s were priced like those refurbs so if you decide to go Kindle waiting likely would be sensible.

Hekotat

Thanks for the input Baklava, We'll see how things go before I start my traveling in a few weeks.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Can't you just use the kindle app on the Nook?
Yes you can, the Nook is a 100% normal Android tablet, with full access to the Google Play store. Kindle only lets you use the Amazon App store. You have to root the device to get the Google App store. You can also use google books, or whatever else you want on the Nook

spronk

FPS noob
i use kindle on my nexus for any amazon bought books, i use moon reader pro for any epub/pdf/mobi/etc books I pirate/download/whatever, you can open the kindle books actually in moon reader pro too it handles pretty much anything and the UI and settings variety is fantastic.

Vaclav

Heko: Remember how I said a sale on Kindles was likely soon? Apparently $40 off for the 8.9 I consider the best deal. Same price as refurbs are usually for new ATM I think.

Not sure how stock is on them though article that I read is stating the 8.9's are selling quickly though.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
Place where I work got some HP Elitepad 1000 G2's. I'm not sure where they got the idea to put the world "elite" in its name. Excepting the sd slot, it has no ports whatsoever. To get to the sd card slot, you have to take a paperclip and insert it into a hole which then pops open the cover. So elite.

Vaclav

MicroSD? The clip hole covers seems the norm for microSD stuff I've seen.

Hekotat

Heko: Remember how I said a sale on Kindles was likely soon? Apparently $40 off for the 8.9 I consider the best deal. Same price as refurbs are usually for new ATM I think.

Not sure how stock is on them though article that I read is stating the 8.9's are selling quickly though.
I saw that actually, I like the idea of the Kindle due to the micro usb charging plug compared to the Nook's proprietary shit.

Really eyeballing that HD.

Vaclav

Also just got on Blinkfeed in the past hours apparently for the HD 7 and the HD 8.9 2012 models (like that one should be hardware wise) Cyanogen now has a modded kernel for it to make it stock android as well now. Not really read the article in full though since I was in an argument with the wife though - but data should be out there to check out if it's of interest.

And yea, been happy as anything with the 8.9 personally - anything I've wanted on it that was Google Play only I've been able to sideload successfully without any rooting - but then again that's a total of three apps so far. (And one ended up getting an Amazon version a week later)

Prices like now make it hard to say no if you're in the market for a tablet.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I just replaced the screen on my Nexus 7 (first gen). $45 replacement screen/digitizer and about 90 minutes of work (including the three teardowns I had to do because i didn't seat a connector properly).
smile.png

I feel like I've leveled up