Tablets

Lenas

Trump's Staff
You read the whole thing? The part where he said he couldn't even recommend it yet for artists? Had nothing to do with the pressure levels but he isn't some MS shill. BTW you keep saying it's 2048 vs 256, it's not. The SP2 is 1024 levels of pressure.

Column_sl

shitlord
No, I said its competitor is 2048...

I'm still waiting for the final review before I totally shit on it. They have supposedly done some interesting things with the Wintab driver for the Ntrig.

It's still a step back in tech imo.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Finally decided to root my Kindle Fire HDX. Can someone link me a "safe" root download/process with instructions?

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Pretty sure only brand new HDX's can be rooted out of the box. If you've already connected to wifi and updated it, I think you're outta luck atm.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Well do some reading on the XDA forums because there are a ton of devs there and that's the impression I got. Posts talking about it were from this month.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
Getting a Surface Pro 3 to field for my company if anyone has been looking at them. Our supplier says they ship Jun 10th.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I swear I think Microsoft can't catch a break anymore. All the reviews for the Surface 3, just like the Surface 2, seem to be lukewarm at best. All seem to whine about the fact that it either isn't as comfortable to use on your lap as a full blown laptop, or that the keyboard/trackpad isn't as good as a dedicated laptop. Therefore for those two reasons alone, the device is "average". It's as if they forget entirely that the device is meant to replace TWO different devices, and that inevitably some compromises HAVE to be made. The reviews should reflect this reality instead of panning the device because it doesn't achieve the impossible. It's like someone managing to successfully combine a car and a plane into a single vehicle, and it getting panned because it still has to use jet fuel instead of normal gasoline.

I've got a few Surface 3's on pre-order, but if they're as good or better than the Surface 2 Pro's I'll be ecstatic. All our mobile workers are now using Surface 2 Pro's and they are all very happy. Haven't heard a single complaint about keyboards or not being able to use it on their laps. From an admin side not having to deal with fucking Ipads anymore is sheer joy. Their surfaces update/patch/secure via the same policies and scripts the rest of our windows computers do..

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I came here to admit I was wrong about Nooks. I've been championing them as a great, cheap tablet for quite a while. Well, my wife and mom each had Nook Colors from 2-3 years ago, and they are great. However, I bought my mom a new Nook HD+ last Christmas, to get her a nicer/bigger tablet, and it has been a total piece of shit so far. About a month in, it started charging intemittantly, until eventually it just wouldn't charge at all. Had to send it back since it was still under warranty and only 3 months old. B&N sent us a refurb Nook. Ok, no big deal, I've had good luck with refurb electronics. Well, in the month that my mom has had the refurb unit, it's basically completely erased it's own storage 3 times now. Just loses absolutely everything that is stored on it, and when you reboot it acts like a brand new tablet, asking you to set it up and register it like it's been reset to factory default.

What a goddamned POS. I'm almost hesitant to send it back for another refurb again and waste our time, but being 6 months after purchase, there's no way I'm getting a refund at this point to go get her something reliable.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I swear I think Microsoft can't catch a break anymore. All the reviews for the Surface 3, just like the Surface 2, seem to be lukewarm at best. All seem to whine about the fact that it either isn't as comfortable to use on your lap as a full blown laptop, or that the keyboard/trackpad isn't as good as a dedicated laptop. Therefore for those two reasons alone, the device is "average". It's as if they forget entirely that the device is meant to replace TWO different devices, and that inevitably some compromises HAVE to be made. The reviews should reflect this reality instead of panning the device because it doesn't achieve the impossible. It's like someone managing to successfully combine a car and a plane into a single vehicle, and it getting panned because it still has to use jet fuel instead of normal gasoline.

I've got a few Surface 3's on pre-order, but if they're as good or better than the Surface 2 Pro's I'll be ecstatic. All our mobile workers are now using Surface 2 Pro's and they are all very happy. Haven't heard a single complaint about keyboards or not being able to use it on their laps. From an admin side not having to deal with fucking Ipads anymore is sheer joy. Their surfaces update/patch/secure via the same policies and scripts the rest of our windows computers do..
People just love to hate MS I saw people calling the SP flimsy the other day, and I can't think of any tablet that is more solid than the SP.

I am torn on the 3. I love the size of my SP1 but the techs come a ways so it may be time to upgrade for me, still not sure I want something larger since I tend to use this in tablet mode most of the time.

Siliconemelons

After spending some time with my Surface 2 I can really feel the shittyness that is RT, they need to decide if it's going to actually BE something or not... seeing as there was no Surface 3 RT we can assume they are dumping it, and I can see why.

Desktop Outlook won't connect to my work accounts, but the Metro mail app took it instantly and synced calendar and contacts...

Remove the desktop functionality or put it in fully... the halfassedness of it is what breaks the experience of the tablet.

And the thing is anything but flimsy, event the stand is solid for what it is.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
i7 is the HD5000, other models are the HD4400. i7 and i3 models come out later than the i5's.

Edit - if you're talking about the SP3, don't know about the ASUS.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
After spending some time with my Surface 2 I can really feel the shittyness that is RT, they need to decide if it's going to actually BE something or not... seeing as there was no Surface 3 RT we can assume they are dumping it, and I can see why.

Desktop Outlook won't connect to my work accounts, but the Metro mail app took it instantly and synced calendar and contacts...

Remove the desktop functionality or put it in fully... the halfassedness of it is what breaks the experience of the tablet.

And the thing is anything but flimsy, event the stand is solid for what it is.
My girlfriend has one, I find it leagues better than iOS (haven't use an android tablet) if only because I can surf the web while watching a movie. I don't know what you mean about the desktop, it is fully implemented, administering the Surface works almost exactly the same as Desktop Windows 8. In my opinion the only reason to ever buy an iPad would be the superior app selection, the OS of the RT is much better.

Siliconemelons

My girlfriend has one, I find it leagues better than iOS (haven't use an android tablet) if only because I can surf the web while watching a movie. I don't know what you mean about the desktop, it is fully implemented, administering the Surface works almost exactly the same as Desktop Windows 8. In my opinion the only reason to ever buy an iPad would be the superior app selection, the OS of the RT is much better.
Well its the fact it does not like domains, or can join one- while I didn't expect to be able to join a domain on RT I figured I would at least be allowed to get to domain shares via giving it my domain creds individually etc.

Desktop mode outlook wont work with my work exchange server yet the metro mail app and calendar app will- and I would like the desktop version to work do I can just stay in desktop- the only reason I even touch metro is for mail and calendar and also Lync- there should be the desktop version of that also.

Because of the way better content creation exp on surface the keyboard is a must- so I really need to get one. I know there would be limitations with RT- the shared folders thing was a coin flip- but they specifically made outlook into a desktop app for 8.1RT to cater to the business side using surface rts as primary function laptop replacements- I.E the office suite- and when the KEY component of that- outlook does not work...well at least for me, its frustrating. Get outlook working and desktop mode lync and the things a keeper- add more domain friendly file sharing etc and it would be even better.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
So, my Nexus 10 is a little over a year old, and it's starting to shit out on me. It was running really slow and herky jerky, so I did a factory reset, and that seemed to clear up the performance issues I was experiencing. However, it has been resetting itself on a fairly regular basis. I wouldn't say frequently by any means, but given how little I use it (maybe 30 minutes a day to browse some news sites, and very rarely to watch TV shows/movies while travelling) it's getting pretty concerning. Basically I'll be looking at a website, and suddenly the screen will very very briefly corrupt, then goes blank, then the Google logo comes on as it restarts. It's probably happened 10-20 times in the past 6 months.

How is Google's customer service? Should I even bother trying to get a replacement or some sort of service? Like I said, it's over a year old at this point.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am looking for a tablet to surf the internet, watch movies and tv, and read books. I don't really care about any kind of advanced game or word processing. Also, I do not own a single apple product. Is the Kindle Fire HDX the way to go?

spronk

FPS noob
id wait until the new nexus comes out this month or next, way better screen and shit. the kindle fire hdx kinda sucks, its loaded with bloatware (you cant take off without fucking around a lot), the amazon shit is pretty annoying and a very closed sandbox, and battery life is mediocre. the kindle paper white is really awesome and goes on sale for $50-75 a lot, but its books only but battery life is insane, like 2 months on a single charge.

the surface pro 3 is also pretty good but probably way overkill for what you want. i 90% read books and 10% surf/watch old TV shows and my nexus 7 is awesome for it, the new nexus screen is even more baller (i think 1440p?) and supports wireless charging which is awesome. I've gotten super lazy and having to physically plug in a cord every few days into my tablet is a serious first world problem