Tablets

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Apple is pretty user friendly, but I'd also recommend them for people who have a hard time learning new tech or more often than not just seem unwilling to try, because the first thing they'll do is spend weeks learning it and then brag about it, when just weeks earlier they were complaining and refusing to learn anything new on the old platform they were struggling to use because they learned how to use a product of that same name 15 years ago so why should it be so different garsh darn it!

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Just bought a couple Surface 3 tablets for the wife and I. We sold our iPads because we needed the full windows for some school apps. So far, I'm impressed with them. The windows tablet apps are nothing to get excited about but it's nice having windows in a portable form factor. We can be at work and still study in our downtime.

Great build quality and while not faster than the pro 3, it's very snappy. I'd recommend them to folks that are looking for a bit more than a tablet. But fuck Microsoft for the price of accessories!
Thanks for posting the little write up. Still thinking about picking one up as our new home / travel tablet. Will be trying to make the decision before August and was reading to see if the Surface Pro 4 would come out by then also. Think I'm kind of back in the waiting game until then, but if there is no movement on the Pro 4 will probably go ahead with the the regular 3 for my trip.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Enjoying my 3 with the latest build of Windows 10. Hope the masses of popular android and iOS apps get ported with the new OS release. Until then I'm poking through Steam for games to play like Ascension.

Need to give Steam remote play a shot too. Streamed OTA video signal from my Xbox one this weekend, that was kinda awesome.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Okay, so what's a reasonable price for an Apple iPad Air 2? All I care about is WiFi and the cheapest I can find on Amazon is ~$440. Honestly, other tablets, like the Samsung Tab S or whatever, isn't exactly way cheaper.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Was gonna ask recommendations on tablets a few weeks ago when my Shield Portable had an issue with the flex cable and lost display except for a few seconds when I first powered up. Was 4 months over the year warranty so I figured I was screwed. But I contacted Nvidia to see if there was a way to repair it or at least get spare parts. I mentioned how disappointed I was since my Shield was bought with a GTX780 for remote gaming and now half the point I got it all was useless. After some questions and me supplying invoice and serial number they issued an RMA. Most hassle free RMA ever, and I wasn't even really expecting or asking for one! Pretty awesome of them, and the kind of thing that will definitely keep my business.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My dell tablet had the pc repair tag (whatever it's called) fall off cuz it was a sticker and they put it on the side of the tablet. So they had no idea how to RMA my tablet, somehow they confirmed i bought my tablet from my exact staples on the exact day, with cash! it was a longish RMA, but they really wanted to help.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Okay, so what's a reasonable price for an Apple iPad Air 2? All I care about is WiFi and the cheapest I can find on Amazon is ~$440. Honestly, other tablets, like the Samsung Tab S or whatever, isn't exactly way cheaper.
Look on Ebay. Refurb tablets for WAY cheaper than you'll find anywhere else. Lots of pro sellers, not private sellers, have all the different variations in stock, and you just choose the options you want.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Get one from the Apple refurb store. They replace a lot of stuff, and give a warranty on top of it. A real Apple warranty, not some BS crap. As good as new, for less than new.

Shop Refurbished iPad - Apple Certified Refurbished iPad Air 2 - Apple Store (U.S.)

I bought an Air 2 today, and it's a marvelous device. I bought mine new, but the $420 Apple refurb is anEASYbuy.

The thing is fast, laughably fast. No lag anywhere, wonderful screen, really decent camera. Light and easy as hell to hold with 3 fingers+small palm. Yeah, responsive, too. Really responsive. Two speaker sound is OK, but way too much bass. I'm surprised they haven't centralized the speakers and used differential porting to give nice stereo sound in both orientations. But...whatever. It's a fantastic device. Get you one.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
My dell tablet had the pc repair tag (whatever it's called) fall off cuz it was a sticker and they put it on the side of the tablet. So they had no idea how to RMA my tablet, somehow they confirmed i bought my tablet from my exact staples on the exact day, with cash! it was a longish RMA, but they really wanted to help.
Heh, my Dell Venue 8 won't charge, they want like $300 to repair it.

I've rarely used it because of power issues w/ it, they've sent me a different charge in the past, but apparently I let it sit too long and now im out of warranty and they want more than its worth to repair an issue they never fully fixed while under warranty. Weee. Glad it was cheap.

They'be blaming the use of unsactioned microSB chargers damaging the device, guy read it from a script like it's a call they regularly get.

Lusiphur

Peasant
So, I have a question for those of you with iPads. Let me first explain what my primary tablet use case is. It is for viewing Comics. Specifically cbz files held on my NAS drive. I wish to access these as if the NAS were a Samba share ie streamed not copied to the device on open. The use case would be to open the comic browsing app, navigate to the network share (shared in iTunes) and look at the file.
Now, I have been using Android tablets to do this but rooting and getting custom ROM with Samba enabled is proving more and more of a colossal pain in the ass. This is literally my only use of tablets apart from light shitter browsing so I don't really care about what ecosystem I use.
Simple question then, does the network share exposed via iTunes behave like a Samba share or does it just try to copy the content locally to the device?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Hmm I use Perfect Viewer and browse / point it to my NAS to view comics just fine on my Nexus 7 tablet. It is possible I had to root to do this, but if so it was so long ago I forgot, but no custom ROM.

Lusiphur

Peasant
Hmm I use Perfect Viewer and browse / point it to my NAS to view comics just fine on my Nexus 7 tablet. It is possible I had to root to do this, but if so it was so long ago I forgot, but no custom ROM.
Thanks. However, I just tried PV on a rooted Nexus7. It lets me set up the LAN share but doesn't show any folders.
The question remains for iOS though. Any takers?

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
The Kindle Fire HD Kids Edition made it to Germany! Yay!
Anyone here who used it? How good is the "no questions asked" warranty thing really?
Or should I just buy a real small-size tablet + case and hope for the best?

The kid is turning three in July but I like to be informed way ahead of time. Might get her one for the fourth or fifth birthday. I know she'll want one.
Unfortunately only the 6" version is available here so far so I'm waiting anyway, that's mighty small.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
My son is almost 4 and has had a kindle fire in a nice case for almost 2 years. Service in the states has been stellar, no problems with his but we've had one replaced.

Kindle Free Time is all sorts of awesome.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Last time I was at Costco they had those Samsung 7 or 8 inch tablets for $149. seemed like a legit deal.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
My Nexux 7 be bricked bros. Never buying one of theses again.
Did it die when updating to Lolipop? There have been issues the update bricking N7s (though I don't remember if it's both, or just one model), but if you bought it directly from Google, I've heard that Google has been willing to replace some.