Tablets

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
I bought the Kobo Glo a month ago and I can't imagine myself using the Nexus 7 as an e-reader ever again. Eink rocks, pure and simple. With the light, I can read it anywhere without burning my eyes like a tablet and it looks super nice.

Next gen tablets I want to see a dual monitor, once side with LCD and one side with Eink. Doesn't matter if it costs 500+ because I will use the SHIT out of that device.

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
We'll see. I think many people that are looking at buying an ultrabook / MacBook will look at the Surface Pro as an option. You get better portability, touchscreen, and possibly wouldn't have to worry about getting / carrying one of the cheapy tablets. Depends on the user. I'm definitely going to get either a surface or a hybrid whenever they become available with Haswell, and it'll be interesting to see how much use my 7-inch tablet will get after I have a Win8 Tablet.

While I don't think that initially a lot of people that are looking at buying a cheap tablet will think, "Wow I should just get one of these beastly Surface Pros," it could be that people who start to buy these as laptop replacements will realize they don't need a cheap tablet.

Braen

<Medals Crew>
At the price its launching at its an enthusiast device few want and less need.
What do you mean?

surface-pro-000.jpg

Illuziun

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Battery life is my primary concern with a tablet. I want to be able to use it for watching movies or listening to music/bull shitting on 15 hour flights. I really like the new iPad mini, because I like that size the best, but it seems it's comparable to the Fire in battery life, which means like 4 hours of heavy use, making it worthless to me...

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Battery life is my primary concern with a tablet. I want to be able to use it for watching movies or listening to music/bull shitting on 15 hour flights. I really like the new iPad mini, because I like that size the best, but it seems it's comparable to the Fire in battery life, which means like 4 hours of heavy use, making it worthless to me...
You can consider picking up something like this:http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Would basically double the useful life of whatever tablet you use.

Cor_sl

shitlord
You can consider picking up something like this:http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Would basically double the useful life of whatever tablet you use.
I have one of them (different brand - about 11000mah capacity). I can charge my Retina iPad up to full battery once, which gives me about 14-16 hours of battery life. The iPad mini has a 4500mah battery so you'd get two full charges - would be good for 22-24 hours or so.

We'll see. I think many people that are looking at buying an ultrabook / MacBook will look at the Surface Pro as an option. You get better portability, touchscreen, and possibly wouldn't have to worry about getting / carrying one of the cheapy tablets. Depends on the user. I'm definitely going to get either a surface or a hybrid whenever they become available with Haswell, and it'll be interesting to see how much use my 7-inch tablet will get after I have a Win8 Tablet.

While I don't think that initially a lot of people that are looking at buying a cheap tablet will think, "Wow I should just get one of these beastly Surface Pros," it could be that people who start to buy these as laptop replacements will realize they don't need a cheap tablet.
Indeed. The Surface Pro shouldn't be compared to tablets - it should be compared to ultrabooks. While I don't think it's going to sell a lot, I think it's coming in at a great price. I was expecting more, to be honest.

I disagree that people won't want a tablet in addition to a Surface Pro, though. The Surface Pro is going to be a little too thick and heavy for long term use. Well, this version will be, anyway. Maybe the Haswell version will be better.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I use my Ipad Mini all fucking day and haven't run it dry yet. In fact that's one of the reasons I took back my Nexus 7 to get the Mini instead. Battery life is much better. I have a retina screen and I don't even use that Ipad at all anymore.

Alexzander

Golden Knight of the Realm
Does anyone here have experience using an ipad for presentations? I'll most likely be making ppts on my desktop, then bouncing the files down to the pad for work. Are there any apps besides keynote I should be looking at for this? What about Bluetooth clickers and what not?

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Does anyone here have experience using an ipad for presentations? I'll most likely be making ppts on my desktop, then bouncing the files down to the pad for work. Are there any apps besides keynote I should be looking at for this? What about Bluetooth clickers and what not?
Not specifically, but I know there's quite a few options out there specifically for teachers. I imagine it's the same with a more business tilt....

Tenks

I decided to order a Nexus7. Need something to browse with around the house and some e-reading. If I like it well enough I may get a Nexus10 as well.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I like the book style cases for tablets. Don't need a screen film if you have one.
smile.png

Tenks

Is it possible to transfer books to the Nexus to read without having to use a 3rd party reading app?

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Well you need to read the file some how. Depending on what you are using .pdf .mobi .epub .rtf etc you'll need some way to view them. Google has as app but I have no idea how good it is since I don't use it. Why on earth would you not want to use a third party app? I use Aldiko which if set up properly can sync library and where you left off on multiple devices.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Is it possible to transfer books to the Nexus to read without having to use a 3rd party reading app?
Like has been said, you'll need some kind of app to open and read the files anyway. What's wrong with the kindle app? You can drag/drop files to your Nexus (or download from somewhere) and read them with the Kindle app.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Probably best to use Calibre and just maintain your library there. Stupid easy to convert files if you need and keep your library backed up and organized. I mean, so long as you're going the pirate route. Drag shit in to Calibre, and when tablet is plugged in click "send to device". Unless it needs converted first, obviously.

Seriously though, I can't understand anyone with "questionable" source books on any E-reader/tablet not using Calibre. It's a huge no-brainer like winamp was years ago for music.