Tablets

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I was already planning on using calibre. I already had it set up for my girlfriend's nook and knew it was great. Like Death wing said I wanted to use Google Play and looks like I can't. So I'm just using Moon+ now.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yep and if you configure Calibre properly and tell it what kind of format your tablet reader is(.mobi or .epub), it'll just convert on the fly while transferring books over. You never have to even think about what version you are downloading, just grab whatever you want, push it to your tablet and it converts before it copies if it needs to(typically takes an extra 5-10 seconds maybe, its fast). Calibri is a must for anyone that has a decent amount of ebooks.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Well Windows 8 Pro only requires 20gb of space, so they are either partitioning off recovery files, or there's just other software preinstalled that you can remove. Not a big deal. Like you said, cheap 64gb SD and you've got a ~140gb usable tablet/ultrabook.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
And so it should be. I have to fight to fill 64GB on mine and it's entirely frivolous when I do.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>

Neph_sl

shitlord
If you read the press release, it clearly shows this is aimed at certain professions/industries.
Had to look the press release up to see who needs this kind of space...

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2013...-to-128GB.html

Companies regularly utilizing large amounts of data such as 3D CAD files, X-rays, film edits, music tracks, project blueprints, training videos and service manuals all benefit from having a greater choice of storage options for iPad.
AutoCAD, music production, and pro football software makers have quotes in the release.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Who cares? You can buy a 64gb sdcard and use that. 128gb cards will be on their way soon, too. I don't understand the internet outrage about this.
Oh, I dunno, false advertising, maybe? It's beyond ridiculous that you have to resort to using a slow SD card to make up for the fact that ~65% of your 64GB flash is used by Windows and unavailable for anything else. This problem simply doesn't exist with Android and iOS alternatives, so Microsoft is screwing the pooch on this. There's no other reasonable way to look at it.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Oh, I dunno, false advertising, maybe? It's beyond ridiculous that you have to resort to using a slow SD card to make up for the fact that ~65% of your 64GB flash is used by Windows and unavailable for anything else.
Windows 8 only requires 16-20gb, do you really think you wont be able to free up any of the space on the Surface Pros when they ship? The numbers are inflated by bloatware, I'm sure almost all of which you can remove without issue. Also, I'm sure you know this, but you shouldn't be comparing Windows 8 Pro to fucking Android or iOS.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Have their been lawsuits alleging false advertising regarding memory size on all these devices before? I imagine someone who has a vendetta against Apple could sue saying an iPhone advertised as 8GB really only has 7.2GB of space or whatever.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Windows 8 only requires 16-20gb, do you really think you wont be able to free up any of the space on the Surface Pros when they ship? The numbers are inflated by bloatware, I'm sure almost all of which you can remove without issue. Also, I'm sure you know this, but you shouldn't be comparing Windows 8 Pro to fucking Android or iOS.
The Windows RT Surface isn't much better in terms of initial bloat, and RT compares just fine to Android and iOS. In any case, you're absolutely correct in terms of only needing ~15GB for the OS, and that can be pared down a bit further once it's installed and running. There's no getting around the fact that you will never, ever have the advertised amount of space for use on your Surface (or Surface Pro), or even close to it, and this is a huge marketing difference between Apple/Google and Microsoft devices that is easily exploitable in the minds of the buying public.

Have their been lawsuits alleging false advertising regarding memory size on all these devices before? I imagine someone who has a vendetta against Apple could sue saying an iPhone advertised as 8GB really only has 7.2GB of space or whatever.
There are some fantastically butthurt people out there. Wouldn't put it past them. i.e. the "my Subway foot long sandwich is only 11 inches long" people.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyt...umer_confusion

Since the early 2000s most consumer hard drive capacities are grouped in certain size classes measured in gigabytes. The exact capacity of a given drive is usually some number above or below the class designation. Although most manufacturers of hard disk drives and flash-memory disk devices define 1 gigabyte as 1000000000bytes, software like Microsoft Windows reports size in gigabytes by dividing the total capacity in bytes by 1073741824 (230 = 1 Gibibyte), while still reporting the result with the symbol "GB". This practice is a cause of confusion, as a hard disk with an advertised capacity of, for example, "400 GB" (meaning 400000000000bytes) might be reported by the operating system as only "372 GB". Other software, like Mac OS X 10.6[3] and some components of the Linux kernel[4] measure using the decimal units. The JEDEC memory standards uses the IEEE 100 nomenclatures which defines a gigabyte as 1073741824bytes (or 230 bytes).[5]
The difference between units based on SI and binary prefixes increases as a semi-logarithmic (linear-log) function-for example, the SI kilobyte value is nearly 98% of the kibibyte, a megabyte is under 96% of a mebibyte, and a gigabyte is just over 93% of a gibibyte value. This means that a 300 GB (279 GiB) hard disk is indicated only as 279 GB. As storage sizes increase and larger units are used, this difference becomes even more pronounced. Some legal challenges have been waged over this confusion such as a suit against Western Digital.[6][7] Western Digital settled the challenge and added explicit disclaimers to products that the usable capacity may differ from the advertised capacity.[7]
Because of its physical design, computer memory capacity is a multiple of base 2, thus, memory size at the hardware level can always be factored by a power of two. It is thus convenient to use binary units for non-disk memory devices at the hardware level, for example, in boards using DIMM memory. That is, a memory capacity of 1073741824bytes, for example, is conveniently expressed as 1 GiB as opposed to 1.074 GB. Software applications, however, allocate memory in varying degrees of granularity as needed to fulfill data structure requirements and binary multiples are usually not required. Other computer measurements, like storage hardware size, data transfer rates, clock speeds, operations per second, etc., do not depend on an inherent base, and are usually presented in decimal units.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
This isn't a consumer confusion issue. Are you fucking kidding me? On a 64GB drive, the OS is using nearly two thirds of the available space on the flash.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Move the recovery partition off of the drive to a USB stick if it's that big of an issue.

Someoneelse_sl

shitlord
The Windows RT Surface isn't much better in terms of initial bloat, and RT compares just fine to Android and iOS. In any case, you're absolutely correct in terms of only needing ~15GB for the OS, and that can be pared down a bit further once it's installed and running. There's no getting around the fact that you will never, ever have the advertised amount of space for use on your Surface (or Surface Pro), or even close to it, and this is a huge marketing difference between Apple/Google and Microsoft devices that is easily exploitable in the minds of the buying public.

There are some fantastically butthurt people out there. Wouldn't put it past them. i.e. the "my Subway foot long sandwich is only 11 inches long" people.
Who in there right mind purchased RT anyways. Let them whine. Complete failure of an OS.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
This isn't a consumer confusion issue. Are you fucking kidding me? On a 64GB drive, the OS is using nearly two thirds of the available space on the flash.
Should have specified I was responding to Eyashusa's post.