Tablets

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
So I grabbed a Nexus 7 instead of a Kindle Fire because you guys recommend it. It arrived today and I am in love with this thing. So smooth, and easy to use.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
Hi6mn.jpg

Hi6mn.jpg

Hi6mn.jpg

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I have a Lenovo A2109 I picked up for $199. It gets the worst reviews possible for the screen viewing at some angles but apparently I don't use the tablet like most people because it works just fine for me. I compared it side by side to the Nexus 7 and the 9" screen on the Lenovo won me over. I guess it depends on how you use your tablet and how you view it. Had it about 2 weeks now and really like it. Little smaller than the 10" tabs and a little easier to read than the 7".

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Played with a nexus 7 at sam's and man those are snappy compared to my galaxy tab 10.1. Just don't have the need to upgrade right now. I can deal with the lag switching between tabs when browsing.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Happy with iPad 2. No need for anything else. I have a shitty Acer Iconia A100 for the few Android things I wanted to check out, but it's horrible by comparison.

khanable_sl

shitlord
OG iPad -> Samsung galaxy tab 10.1 -> iPad mini

iPad mini had been by far my favorite. The size fits me perfectly.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I really want a nexus 10 but I can't justify spending $399 to replace my Lenovo k1 that I've had for a year.

Cor_sl

shitlord
OG iPad -> Samsung galaxy tab 10.1 -> iPad mini

iPad mini had been by far my favorite. The size fits me perfectly.
I borrowed my brothers mini for a week and the form factor is incredible. It's definitely nicer than the larger iPad.

It's just the screen that lets the package down. It's hard to go back to such a low res screen after owning a retina iPad. Hopefully next year.

Solariss

Golden Squire
Just got my mom a Nexus 7.. Very responsive screen, nice visuals, and perfect size. She loves the thing.. I've always liked the feel and layout of Apple devices more, but have never bought one. I think this is on par though

khanable_sl

shitlord
I borrowed my brothers mini for a week and the form factor is incredible. It's definitely nicer than the larger iPad.

It's just the screen that lets the package down. It's hard to go back to such a low res screen after owning a retina iPad. Hopefully next year.
Yea, the screen is kind of a downer. I have the retina macbook pro so basically all screens look like shit at this point.

just one of the many first world problems I have to deal with

frown.png

frown.png

frown.png

Ratama

Lord Nagafen Raider
Thinking about picking up an iPad Mini as a gift this year. Does anyone have experience with using it for e-reading purposes? And can you buy e-books from Amazon and read them on it, or is that a Kindle-only gig?

Stosh

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Thinking about picking up an iPad Mini as a gift this year. Does anyone have experience with using it for e-reading purposes? And can you buy e-books from Amazon and read them on it, or is that a Kindle-only gig?
Kindle has an app for pretty much any platform. I have a Kindle that now sits unused on my nightstand because I do all my reading on the Ipad Kindle app. You can't buy books directly from the Ipad app itself, but that's not an issue since you're using an Ipad that can browse Amazon anyway. I've seen some web reviews on the Kindle paperwhite versus the Ipad mini (I have a full size retina display.) that have said they prefer the Ipad mini to the Kindle for reading. Only complaints I've heard about text on the mini involve web newspapers like the NY Times that have fixed fonts.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't understand the reading on tablet thing. My iPad is great and all, but if I'm sitting down to read a book I'd rather it look as close to paper as possible. eInk devices are super fucking cheap, if you enjoy reading for pleasure you should have one.

Braen

<Medals Crew>
I borrowed Stephen King's 11/22/63 from the local library. The thing is like 3 inches thick. So I got the epub and am now reading it in comfort on my Nexus 7 at my desk, my bed or wherever I want to read it. I can turn the lights off and read while my wife sleeps.

And sometimes I might want to change gears and read another book. Having them all in my tablet is so much more convenient then carrying around multiple books and I usually have my tablet with me.

For example, I will be reading one of the Song of Ice and Fire novels and remember something from a previous book. Instead of looking for the big book at home, I just load the e-book and find the piece of information I was looking for.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I don't understand the reading on tablet thing. My iPad is great and all, but if I'm sitting down to read a book I'd rather it look as close to paper as possible. eInk devices are super fucking cheap, if you enjoy reading for pleasure you should have one.
Not to mention the weight factor. I haven't tried it, but I can't really imagine reading for a long time on a full sized ipad. The kindle weighs almost nothing and you can easily hold it in one hand.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Not to mention the weight factor. I haven't tried it, but I can't really imagine reading for a long time on a full sized ipad. The kindle weighs almost nothing and you can easily hold it in one hand.
I read on my iPad all the time. Yeah, it took some getting used to, but it's really not as bad as you'd figure it would be.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
All this. Fuckin' love my now ancient nook 3G. As nice as my hand-me-down nook tablet is I tried it for reading and it's just not the same.

My buddy with the same two devices got used to using the tablet when his nook broke, but when he got it working again he said the difference was huge. Especially when he's reading at work outside during the day.

but it's really not as bad as you'd figure it would be.
That's a cover blurb if ever I've seen one.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Heh. What I meant, clearly, is "I'm not going to spend more money on a reader, because my iPad does the job well enough".

Maybe I just don't read enough to care.