Tablets

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I picked up my surface pro 2 last week and it's great. I got the 128GB version at the local Best Buy since I could return it if I didn't get one with the upgraded CPU, but their stock was recent enough that I got the i5 4300. It's a bit annoying not having a keyboard for it, but I'm waiting for MS to release the clamshell keyboard with the additional battery in it.

Most of my complaints are minor and have to do with windows 8 instead of the hardware. I ended up disabling auto rotation because windows changes the resolution when it rotates, which fullscreen programs (especially hearthstone) tend to handle poorly. I also want to keep the windows button from waking it, but I've yet to figure that out. the only hardware complaint is that the screen has some minor backlight bleed, but it's only noticeable on a black screen.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
What's the best tablet for a maximum of $400?

Ideally I'll use it mostly for a portable way to watch TV/movies (i.e. move it with me as I move around the house when cleaning, cooking, etc.), but also some web browsing and reading.

At first glance it looks like the basic Nexus 10 from Google would work well, but I'm not really familiar with all the options that other companies like Samsung and Asus offer.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
What's the best tablet for a maximum of $400?

Ideally I'll use it mostly for a portable way to watch TV/movies (i.e. move it with me as I move around the house when cleaning, cooking, etc.), but also some web browsing and reading.

At first glance it looks like the basic Nexus 10 from Google would work well, but I'm not really familiar with all the options that other companies like Samsung and Asus offer.
Any particular size you're interested in? The Nexus 10 has been out of stock for a while, but if a 7" tablet is big enough it's hard to go wrong with the Nexus 7.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Any particular size you're interested in? The Nexus 10 has been out of stock for a while, but if a 7" tablet is big enough it's hard to go wrong with the Nexus 7.
Second that opinion. Nexus 7 has been fantastic, and I love the stock Android that's on it compared to other tablets. Clean, fast, simple, and a gorgeous display.

McCheese

Considering I'll mostly be using it to watch TV/movies, I'd really prefer something larger than a 7" tablet. I've been comparing different sizes at Best Buy and it seems like 7" is just too small to really enjoy watching stuff.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Considering I'll mostly be using it to watch TV/movies, I'd really prefer something larger than a 7" tablet. I've been comparing different sizes at Best Buy and it seems like 7" is just too small to really enjoy watching stuff.
Where is the media coming from primarily?

Internet? NAS? Portable Hard Drive?

McCheese

Where is the media coming from primarily?

Internet? NAS? Portable Hard Drive?
Netflix streaming and portable storage, mostly.

*Edit* I've been looking at Kindles lately. I've heard good things from people who mostly use their tablets as media consumption devices.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
*Edit* I've been looking at Kindles lately. I've heard good things from people who mostly use their tablets as media consumption devices.
Seriously consider the Nook HD+ over a Kindle Fire HDX. Yes, the Nook isn't quite as powerful, but the screen is still plenty good(your video files aren't going to be more than 1080p anyways, and the Nook has a higher resolution than that, just not as high as the 1600p Kindle), but the Nook is also only $150 vs Kindles ridiculous Apple-like pricing of almost $400. The Nook has better sound too if you're using the built-in speakers. The Nook has 2 speakers for stereo sound, Kindle only has 1. I'm also not sure if the Kindle has an SD card slot for storage expansion, the Nook definitely does.

Also the Nook is fully open to the Android app store, you have to root the Kindle to be able to use anything other than Amazon's app store.

the only tangible advantage to the Kindle is that a Kindle is the ONLY way to stream Amazon Prime video on an Android tablet...they have no Android app and don't allow it through mobile browsers either if that is an issue. The Kindle also has a camera, Nook does not.

Hell, you can buy 2 Nook HD+ devices for less than one Kindle Fire HDX(both are 9" tablets)

Df~_sl

shitlord
Just got my nexus7... havent used android in a long long time..

Loaded up ClockworkMod... any must buy/pirate software?

Tablet will be used for...
Making and editing simple PPT and Excel, VNC/Remote desktop, plus anything interesting you guys recommend

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
New nexus 7 is sweet. You will love it. Fast, responsive, great on battery life, and the screen is killer. 100% better than the first generation which I also have.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just got my nexus7... havent used android in a long long time..

Loaded up ClockworkMod... any must buy/pirate software?

Making and editing simple PPT and Excel, VNC/Remote desktop, plus anything interesting you guys recommend
Haven't rooted in quite a while, but you may not need too. I installed some "cracked" apps recently, where whoever cracked it so it wasn't necessary to root, and you didn't have to pay for it off the Play Store. Worked like a charm. Was great.

The beauty of Android is you can install any .apk file you get.

Df~_sl

shitlord
Its already rooted... now just need to find a good source for non malware infested apks.

TitaniumBackup, ES File Explorer... and some other stuff loaded up...

I don't notice much difference between my 5s ipad4 and this... which is probably a good thing... considering I got the 32gb version for 209 new from staples.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
What app do you use to edit Excel sheets? Or do you just use GDocs?

Df~_sl

shitlord
Thats what I am here for... advice on which apps to use.

Currently just have Gdocs installed, but am looking for office 365 if my work can foot the subscription or find another way around it.

Df~_sl

shitlord
I forgot how ridiculous the playstore and ios appstore were...

Looking for a permission manager on android... search app ops, find twenty app ops, which are legit? which are junk? no idea...

I feel like my grandparents!

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I forgot how ridiculous the playstore and ios appstore were...

Looking for a permission manager on android... search app ops, find twenty app ops, which are legit? which are junk? no idea...

I feel like my grandparents!
Since you're already rooted, grab the Xposed framework from[FRAMEWORK ONLY!] Xposed - ROM modding without modifying APKs (2.4.1)(02.12.2013) - xda-developersand download the AppOpsXposed module. That will give you Google's App Ops back that was removed from 4.4.2.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
so ended up getting the dell venue pro 8, basically windows 8 tablet, she already has a 10in ipad so a 8in smaller tablet that could fit in her purse (the ipad did fit... but i mean she needed a big purse lol). just opened it (aparently there is a fury of windows 8 tablet buying this week). thought the rubber wouldn't feel good (it has rubber backing) but it ends up "not" slipping off your hand and going wtf!, fall. so rubber = good.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Well, it finally happened...

One of my kids smashed the screen on my Nexus 7 (1st gen). Honestly I'm surprised it took them so long.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
So I work for an Event management company and often go out on business trips. I need a recommendation for a couple of tablets. The owner is a bit of a Luddite despite the fact technology allows us to own/manage a few trade shows with 300k-1m revenue with only 2 full time employees. My sister gifted him a new ipad a few months ago, and he promptly sold it to a part time employee for $150 because he could not return it and did not see any use for it. My personal kindle broke the other day.

1. Looking for recommendations for a cheap tablet at $100 or less, possibly something i can buy from craigslist or new. This is simply so i can use the internet and such when on our trips. Our company has no laptops, nor do I have a personal one. Maybe something I can do a bit of work on also.

2. Also need recommendations for a tablet for work. Something fully features high-end I imagine, Would like to really start in earnest figuring out how to enhance our show, and improve the business side of things with a tablet once our next show is over about a month from now. If anyone in event management/planning has some advice for this that would be excellent.