Tablets

Greyform

Bronze Knight of the Realm
anyone have any experience with the Nvidia shield? I am torn between the Nexus 9 and the Nvidia

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
So my kid cracked my Nexus 7 screen a couple days ago. I've never actually had a cracked screen on any phones or tablets so I have no idea how to go about this. Should I pay for it to get fixed, just deal with it (it works, but it's no where near ideal), or try to trade it in?
If you order a screen with the touch-sensor or whatever it's called already attached it's super simple to replace, basically pry open, rip junk out, screw new junk in it's place.

If you get just glass to replace though it's a bitch and takes a heat gun and more time than it's worth.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
anyone have any experience with the Nvidia shield? I am torn between the Nexus 9 and the Nvidia
The two devices couldn't be more different. Shield is a tiny-ass 5" 720p screen. If 90% of your tablet use is for gaming, then it's great.

If you mostly use a tablet for web browsing, reading, email, etc with a little gaming on the side, the Shield is a terrible choice, go Nexus. The Shield is basically a smartphone with a controller attached and a mediocre screen. A Shield is a replacement for a Gameboy/Vita, not a replacement for a real tablet.

Greyform

NO was really me being pissy and in a foul mood. I owe you an apology Sorry man.

ended up saying screw it and picked up a surface pro 3

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Lol nice, Surface Pro 3 is a beast. I'm just waiting for my wifes laptop and tablet to both hopefully die at the same time so I can justify replacing both with a Surface

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
If I want a tablet closer to the 10 inch size, is the choice basically something from one of Samsung's Galaxy lines or a Nexus 9? Kinda annoyed by that selection since I hate a bunch of things associated with Samsung(plastic, touchwiz, reversed button placement, PHYSICAL buttons) and it sounds like the Nexus 9 has build issues.

bho

If I want a tablet closer to the 10 inch size, is the choice basically something from one of Samsung's Galaxy lines or a Nexus 9? Kinda annoyed by that selection since I hate a bunch of things associated with Samsung(plastic, touchwiz, reversed button placement, PHYSICAL buttons) and it sounds like the Nexus 9 has build issues.
i dont know much about nexus 9 but i did read an article yesterday saying that they had improved build quality recently. I'd google it.

Greyform

Lol nice, Surface Pro 3 is a beast. I'm just waiting for my wifes laptop and tablet to both hopefully die at the same time so I can justify replacing both with a Surface
I like the one I purchased, It is a lot more convenient than a laptop, and it combines the ease of a tablet. It has some issues with heat if you're doing processor heavy aps but overall I am glad I went this route. That video you posted was very nice it does a great job of explaining why the decision was so tough on me. If I would have had to choose I would have gone with the shield. I was leaning hard that way before I decided to change course. But they both look like good decisions.

spronk

FPS noob
the stylus on shield is pretty awesome. i like my nexus 7, but yeah as the review says not having a microSD card kinda sucks, I probably would never use it but it'd be nice to be able to dump 10 gigs of video file if I ever want to go offline a few hours on a plane or something (i do have the 32GB model).

once my nexus 7 dies i'd probably get a shield next, there are just so many little gaming apps that only work on ios/android that having a microsoft device seems bad. plus i don't really believe microsoft gets mobile computing, and will just cram shitty apps down your throat that kill battery life.

Running steam on a tablet is sexy as fuck though...

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I believe his last comment was a counterpoint to getting the shield tablet.

Anyone have experience with fixing slowdowns on tablets? I'm not completely satisfied with what's available so now I'm considering fixing my Nexus 7(2012) so that doing literally anything doesn't take 2-4s. There's fuckall for apps on it, I read and browse on it, that's it. I was hoping 5.0 would fix things, but it didn't. Anything I can try aside from doing a factory reset?

Greyform

When the kids Nexus 7's slows down I delete a bunch of crap they have loaded on them over the years. It seems to help.
The oldest has never had a problem she is more of a Youtube and Netflix watcher. The other two are pretty hard on theirs and I have had to send them in for repair for the power adaptor more than once.

But the youngest is the toughest on his, he is always downloading crap and filling it up. the closer it gets to full the slower it runs.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My 2013 Nexus 7 is still as fast as the day I bought it. If the screen was just a bit larger it would be an incredible machine.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Remember, flash-based storage(tablets, phones) get slower the closer to full that they get. It has nothing to do with the overall amount of items installed, just the ratio of used to open space. One giant file will slow you down just as much as 200 little ones, if they are the same overall size.

To keep your device running at 90% speed, don't go over half full. From that point on, the closer you get to full, the slower it gets. On most computer SSD benchmarks, a drive that is 98% full runs 10x slower than a drive that is 50% full. The flash memory in your tablet will work the same way. Ideally, stay under half. Realistically, ALWAYS have at least 20% open storage space to avoid insane slowdown. So leave ~3-4GB free on that 16GB drive or 6-7GB free on a 32GB device.

Remember, flash-based storage(tablets, phones) get slower the closer to full that they get. It has nothing to do with the overall amount of items installed, just the ratio of used to open space. One giant file will slow you down just as much as 200 little ones, if they are the same overall size.

To keep your device running at 90% speed, don't go over half full. From that point on, the closer you get to full, the slower it gets. On most computer SSD benchmarks, a drive that is 98% full runs 10x slower than a drive that is 50% full. The flash memory in your tablet will work the same way. Ideally, stay under half. Realistically, ALWAYS have at least 20% open storage space to avoid insane slowdown. So leave ~3-4GB free on that 16GB drive or 6-7GB free on a 32GB device.
Perhaps someone more qualified can speak to this, but TRIM has been a feature in Android since 4.3 so my understanding is that slowdown from a full (or close to full) SSD is not an issue anymore. I'd be interested to see something that says otherwise as I thought that's what the feature was designed to do.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I was always under the impression that the implementation of TRIM is what now makes it so you really don't start to see significant performance hits until your flash memory is so full that there just isn't enough space to efficiently rearrange files on the fly. In early flash memory, speed degraded for basically every percent full you were, starting at zero. Nowadays with TRIM it offsets most performance issues until you are very full (less than 20% free space).