Take the job or not?

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
Been offered a job in Dubai that pays $20k more a year than I'm making right now, plus they are providing housing (though it probably sucks). I don't think there are taxes taken out either. I've always wanted to visit Dubai, I find the area exciting. Kind of like the wild west, a little untamed, new and fresh. The only problem is, the job I would be doing, I would most likely either dislike or possibly hate it.

Also just broke up with a long time girlfriend and this would give me some much needed separation. (Still hung up on her)

Thoughts?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
No. Shittiness of Islamic society aside, that entire area is pretty ripe for completely disintegrating with the current state of events.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I think Zehn worked in Oman for a bit and someone else here was in/around Qatar. Hopefully they can shed some light on the area.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I think OP would have a hard time fitting into the culture there. As in, dangerous to his life hard time.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah, they crucify people who think the Star Wars prequels are good.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
Is it short term or a permanent job? If permanent and you've never been there to experience it, I wouldn't do it for an extra 20k.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'd go there for a short-term contract. 3 or 6 months maybe. Definitely wouldn't live there anywhere close to permanently. Living under Islamic law would suck hard.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
If it's compound housing and they give you a car/driver, then maybe. Otherwise I'd want more than 20k.

It's apparently an okay place to be an American. They give you more slack than you think if you're reasonable and don't flaunt it. I know a guy there who works as a sports reporter and he seems to like it a lot.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Been offered a job in Dubai that pays $20k more a year than I'm making right now, plus they are providing housing (though it probably sucks). I don't think there are taxes taken out either. I've always wanted to visit Dubai, I find the area exciting. Kind of like the wild west, a little untamed, new and fresh. The only problem is, the job I would be doing, I would most likely either dislike or possibly hate it.

Also just broke up with a long time girlfriend and this would give me some much needed separation. (Still hung up on her)

Thoughts?
If you aren't making enough money to justify retiring in 5 years by taking this job, then no.

khalid

Unelected Mod
If I were you, I would probably spend a few days praying to Deeprak Chopra and seeing if quantum mechanics gives you an answer.

iannis

Musty Nester
3-6 months as an American. Sure. By the time they've decided to kidnap you and behead you for aposty/heresy/not being sandy enough then you're leaving.

More than that? Fuck nah. I would not invest a year. If I was going to do a year in the middle east, I'd do it in Israel. Who the hell knows if Dubai will even exist next year.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
You are single. You will be in a place with no alcohol and where you cant fuck anything. Plus its fucking hot. Plus muslims. 20k is not worth it.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Know several people that have worked in the middle east in the petro chemical industry. No way would they have gone for $20k more. I'm pretty sure the money they get is a pretty good multiple of their regular pay in the states. They had the bonus of being in an almost 100% community that provided schools for kids and lots of other American type stuff. Just $20k and have to blend in with the locals...no thanks.

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
It would be for one year, renewable if I wanted. I could also leave at any time if I absolutely couldn't stand it.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'd get a picture/floor plan/layout of the area they were putting me up in first. As long as it looked reasonable and not like a Columbian drug shack village, I'd take the 20k extra and go on the adventure.

Like you said, can leave at any time if the shit goes bad.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Do the year, take the money, come back and go do something you really want to do. Look at it as an investment.

As long as the job isn't jacking off camels or something, something tolerable that may help you down the road.

Arch

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm pretty sure Dubai is about the only place I would be willing to go over there to work. To my knowledge they want infidels over there as they are trying to create a tourist mecca of sorts (they built all of that crazy expensive shit over there and are known for bringing in experts from around the world to train/teach/whatever). You also have the added perk from being a short flight away from almost anywhere awesome in Europe. If I was single I would give it a shot.