Take the job or not?

Vinen

God is dead
I'm pretty sure Dubai is about the only place I would be willing to go over there to work. To my knowledge they want infidels over there as they are trying to create a tourist mecca of sorts (they built all of that crazy expensive shit over there and are known for bringing in experts from around the world to train/teach/whatever). You also have the added perk from being a short flight away from almost anywhere awesome in Europe. If I was single I would give it a shot.
Same.

Want hookers for the weekend? Fly to Thailand or Germany?
Want a beach vacation? Fly to Thailand
Want aids or ebola? Fly to Africa

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Not worth it for 20K unless your cost of living goes way down simultaneously. At least at the "surface", it's westernized simply so they can attract businessmen. Businessmen would not be interested in places that don't serve alcohol and have women wearing burqas everywhere, so Dubai is Allah's exception for the sake of the almighty dollar. That being said, I wouldn't want to live there, so the money would have to be really good.

On the upside though, it's perfectly legal to enslave and beat your Bangladeshi maid, accusations of rape against you will just get the accuser thrown in jail, and there are no SJW's or blue hairs around since they're busy prioritizing things like gamergate over muslim child rape, so there are positives..

Sterling

El Presidente
Depends a little bit on how much you make now. 20k extra if you're making 40k now is a lot different than if you're already making 150k.

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
What is the job?
I'd be teaching music at a university. The reason why I say that I wouldn't like it is because I've been trying to get out of the teaching side of things. I'm a bit burned out. I have my bachelors and masters in music, but I have found the career to be tedious with hours that extend well outside the normal work day, and doesn't pay as well as it should. I've been trying to find another avenue to pursue that doesn't require me going back to school for years, but I've come up empty so far, and bills gotta get paid.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I'd be teaching music at a university. The reason why I say that I wouldn't like it is because I've been trying to get out of the teaching side of things. I'm a bit burned out. I have my bachelors and masters in music, but I have found the career to be tedious with hours that extend well outside the normal work day, and doesn't pay as well as it should. I've been trying to find another avenue to pursue that doesn't require me going back to school for years, but I've come up empty so far, and bills gotta get paid.
Music is Haram because it distracts from the glory that is Allah, but as long as ISIS doesn't reach Dubai you should mostly be ok.

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
Depends a little bit on how much you make now. 20k extra if you're making 40k now is a lot different than if you're already making 150k.
Ya, it would be a nice jump. Even though I have a masters with 10 years experience, I'm only making 55k right now, and that's because I teach. Teaching pays terribly. I'd be making $75k there.

-------------------

Starting in high school, my passion was geared towards teaching music, so that's what I built everything towards. I worked with other peoples bands and ensembles while I got my degrees and I loved it. Couldn't wait to graduate and have my own group. When I finally got it I saw all the other bullshit that goes on behind the scenes with working for a school and the other things included in the work day, and it killed it for me. So here I am, 35, and wanting out of what I spent 20 years building, but I have yet to find a suitable alternative, so I'm sticking to what I'm good at while using the opportunity to travel.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
20k would seem like you could -pick up a part time job for year if you needed $20k. Seems really low to move to another country regardless of one that may or may not be hostile to the west in some aspects.

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well travel is covered. My current lease for my car and apartment are both up in 2 months so the timing is right. I would just put my stuff like electronics in storage while I was gone. Working a separate job just for more income doesn't seem appealing in the least. I value my free time more than what money could do.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah it is only 75k, but add in all the living expenses they are paying too. If they are paying your rent, food, etc then it adds up quick.

But no way, not for 75k. I have to believe you can get more out of them and they are lowballing you. If it is something you want to do, try coming back to them with a better number.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sounds like you're getting old bro, you don't become a musician and teacher for the money.

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
Sounds like you're getting old bro, you don't become a musician and teacher for the money.
Possibly. I knew about the low pay when I started the courses in college, but I figured it wouldn't be that big of deal because I'd be happy with my career, and doing what I loved > $$. But I don't love what I'm doing and the money sucks ass. Especially when I have friends making 2-3 times more and their jobs are extremely easy in comparison. So it's a lose/lose.

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah, you should see if you can get 100k or something. Never know, they might give it to you. Also if you can really just bail if it sucks, try it for a few months just to see.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I would definetly scope out how much cost and a pain in the ass to leave if you decide you hate it.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
The absolute only reason to travel to Dubai to live and work is if you are a petroleum chemical engineer, and the pay you would receive in five years time would warrant retiring once you came home.

Otherwise fuck that shit with someone else's dick on a ten foot pole.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Take it, 100% sure. Spend as much money and vacation time as possible taking relatively cheap trips to different places in the middle east.

My dad did something similar in Cairo in the early 90s and it was a hugely positive move for him, and that was with a whole family.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
This is a no-brainer to me. It's 20K extra, plus living costs, so add another 10K, plus experience that sticks out on a resume, plus life experience, plus the ability to back out, plus making a living with a music degree. I have been involved in teaching music for years, mostly at the university and grad school level, and opportunities like these are golden.

Plus, you might gain some insight into Muslim culture that you can bring back to the States. Could be beneficial to all.

Wuwei_sl

shitlord
Yeah, as others have said just go for it. It would definately be a different experience that might even allow you some time to reflect on your future.

Do it for the experience, the memories and stories, but not for the money imo.