Tales of Maj'Eyal

Plaid_sl

shitlord
I could never beat this game. Bought it to play adventure mode. Going to have to re-visit classic mode. These new posts are giving me the itch for the challenge. Longest living character was a warrior with heavy focus on magic resists.

Krag

Peasant
Playing a Cursed, is cursed aura really worth bothering with? A minimum investment of 9 generics (plus the increased difficulty early on) would need to be pretty damn amazing. I might have the points for it though, since I'm leaning towards skipping Fungus so that I can still use the Blighted Maul.
It's been quite a while since I tried out Cursed (and I never got far with one), but it seems like the cursed aura was buffed in a patch since then. It still looks like it's somewhat weak early on, so I'd probably ignore until I got some Cursed characters far into the game regularly.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Wasn't sure if I would like this game, but damn it if I can't help click on restart when I die. They make it simple enough, that restarting isn't a huge pain in the ass. No long dialoge to go through, just bam, right into the action with your new character.
smile.png

Each time, I say I'll do better this time! haha

velk

Trakanon Raider
It's been quite a while since I tried out Cursed (and I never got far with one), but it seems like the cursed aura was buffed in a patch since then. It still looks like it's somewhat weak early on, so I'd probably ignore until I got some Cursed characters far into the game regularly.
It's actually a curse to start with - most of the items you pick up will have a curse on them that gives you negative luck and bad effects. It's only when you start upping the second tree that the curses become weaker and actually give you abilities etc. At max level they are pretty damn awesome. It's very much go big or go home though, if you aren't willing to sink 10 generics into it ASAP don't bother - those 10 come at the cost of some other pretty tasty generic options like celestial light, stone alchemy, anti-magic or fungus.

The biggest drawback is that artifacts can't be cursed, so you have to make some hard choices about gearing.

Vaclav

Artifacts can be cursed.... unless you're talking about something past yellow/orange.

Vorph

Yeah, all my armor/weapon artifacts are cursed.

I'm currently doing a build loosely based on a cornac cursed who won not too long ago. He used antimagic and psiblades, but no fungus. Sounded interesting to me because I've never tried mindstars on any character before. Not sure I like their design though. Damage seems utter shit until you get tier 5 drops because of how the multipliers work. So right now I'm stuck with 3 points in Weapons Mastery that I remove and then replace every time I level up.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
So far I have made it the furthest with human berserker, I got really lucky on gear as my resists and HP regen are just retarded all across the board. I just enter a dungeon and wait to be surrounded and circle of death/counter attack everything. Good times.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Getting lazy kills you fast in this game. Got to level 33, didn't pay attention as I was sending swarms of summons at a boss and got sniped for like 700 damage by something that snuck up on me.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
Speaking about sniping, can you still get oneshot (or atleast ending up close to death) by offscreen bosses/monsters? That shit made me so mad the last time I played the game. Also, what's a good beginner class/race combo these days; my old account is probably gone now but I remember alchemist being really good thanks to the godly golem.

Vorph

Getting lazy kills you fast in this game. Got to level 33, didn't pay attention as I was sending swarms of summons at a boss and got sniped for like 700 damage by something that snuck up on me.
I know the feeling. I lost a cursed that picked up a tier 5 battleaxe at level 18. Should have been smooth sailing for a really long time, but I underestimated the strength of alternate layout bosses and got fucked by Horned Horror at the bottom of the maze. I also think I'm going to shut off alternate layouts, I really don't care for most of them.

That character may have been bugged anyway though. My Tranquil Meadow portal was located on the exact same spot as the portal to Angolwen, so when I stupidly turned in the apprentice quest the portal to Angolwen appeared and there was no way to get into Tranquil Meadow anymore (I hadn't done it yet, so I was screwed).

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Speaking about sniping, can you still get oneshot (or atleast ending up close to death) by offscreen bosses/monsters? That shit made me so mad the last time I played the game. Also, what's a good beginner class/race combo these days; my old account is probably gone now but I remember alchemist being really good thanks to the godly golem.
Yeah, you still can but it's fairly rare. I think the only attacks with ranges that long are poisons and it's not hard to get 100% poison immunity..

I started as a thalore bulwark until I unlocked summoner and since I've done plain human that since the extra category unlock is nice plus no xp penalty means I'm good on levels.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Technically no, players on normal difficulty have 100% instant death immunity ( you can see it on the charsheet ), but with the way that speed works you can get what looks like a oneshot to you - for example my alchemist got killed in one turn by Elandar - he was buffed up fast enough to cast two massive spells in one of my turns.

As for offscreen - that mostly depends on you - all monsters have 10 sight range and 10 infravision. If you get items or skills to match that you can always see them, and if you go higher you can always see them before they can react ( barring walking around corners etc ). Heightened senses and infravision don't stack anymore, so it's not as easy as it once was, but high level lamps often have 9 light or infravision.
It's also a big part of tactical planning, especially when you know a boss is around - use of skills like track, earth's eyes, arcane vision, premonition etc can make a beatdown into a walk in the park.

A dwarf or shalore berserker can be a pretty good beginner combo ( shalore starts a bit slower but picks up at level 8 ) - berserker really doesn't have a lot of deep tactics other than charge and beatdown. Always have a movement infusion though so you can GTFO when you realise you charged into an open room with 5 casters ;p You probably want to join the anti-magic team before you rescue Derth, and then use level 20 category point on the fungus tree.

velk

Trakanon Raider
What weapons should I be using as a summoner?
Your summons get more powerful with mind power, so mindstars are typically the best. You want ones that give +% physical damage, +mindpower, +mindcrit, will or cunning. The damage on the mindstar itself doesn't do anything unless you try to melee with it ( don't ).

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
Didn't get into this right away, now I am completely addicted.

Although I need to develop the patience required to play. Currently I've only had mild success with a Berserker and Wyrmic. Probably because I'm strong enough to SMASH MY FACE into enemies.

Auto-Explore is awesome, love speeding through levels with it.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Oozemancer is all sorts of broken. Was pretty much on auto-pilot the entire game. Only part that sucks is everything late game has a huge as fuck nature resistance so while you're unkillable, everything else takes for fucking ever to kill as well.

Looking forward to trying adventurer. Mindslayer with oozes? Yes plz.

Pinadil

Silver Knight of the Realm
Finally beat this with an alchemist, 3k acid bombs to clear rooms and snipe around corners. Everything clicked when I started gearing properly. Take + hp in the early game, then switch to + damage type and crit.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Oozemancer is all sorts of broken. Was pretty much on auto-pilot the entire game. Only part that sucks is everything late game has a huge as fuck nature resistance so while you're unkillable, everything else takes for fucking ever to kill as well.
You got natural acid right ? Open up with acid beam, and it's all over for stuff with 100% nature resist.