Tales of...

Sean_sl

shitlord
Aside from their being limited space remaining in the game room, i hardly touch my PS3 aside from those rare times a gem is released that i cannot pass up. I play enough games as is i could stand to miss a few! Hopefully by the time Xil-2 is coming out FF15 will also be on its way....right? (wishful thinking overload here!)
Man, I hope so. With how many years FF15 has been in development it better come out by the end of 2014 or in Q1 2015 at the absolute latest. There's just no excuse at this point.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Decided to roll the dice and let GameFly choose for me, and ended up with Xillia instead of Dragon's Crown. Hope it isn't an insufferable pile of shit like Graces f was!

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Everything I've read is it's better than Graces (not too difficult) and slightly worse than Vesperia.

The character advancement/customization (new grid style system) and combat being the big selling points with this game.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
So far its good, and yes better than Graces - However visually its not much better than Graces and not as good looking as Vesperia. The colors seem drab, but im not too far in just yet.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The colors seem drab, but im not too far in just yet.
There's a blue vignette filter/shader applied to the entire image that makes the game look like it's being played on a 20 year old tube television that had an image burned into it. It looks fucking terrible, even worse than Graces f's half-assed Wii port did. Yay for art direction?

Game itself is pretty good though, I like the story and don't really mind any of the characters (Milla's VA doesn't have a lisp, so either it's intentional or it's not really a lisp but just very poor audio recording). Either way, I find it barely noticeable after 15 hours or so, even playing her story.

Combat is kind of shitty though. Higher difficulties are only harder because monsters have retarded hp levels, which quickly turns into tedium. R-stick shortcuts can only do the quick press attack, which is extremely dumb design, and I've had a lot of issues getting L-stick artes to actually use correct one I'm trying to press. I haven't successfully executed a chain since the tutorial "explained" how to do it. No clue what's up with skills either, I suspect the AI can't actually use about 80% of them so you just waste SP if you never take direct control of that character.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
There's a blue vignette filter/shader applied to the entire image that makes the game look like it's being played on a 20 year old tube television that had an image burned into it. It looks fucking terrible, even worse than Graces f's half-assed Wii port did. Yay for art direction?

Game itself is pretty good though, I like the story and don't really mind any of the characters (Milla's VA doesn't have a lisp, so either it's intentional or it's not really a lisp but just very poor audio recording). Either way, I find it barely noticeable after 15 hours or so, even playing her story.

Combat is kind of shitty though. Higher difficulties are only harder because monsters have retarded hp levels, which quickly turns into tedium. R-stick shortcuts can only do the quick press attack, which is extremely dumb design, and I've had a lot of issues getting L-stick artes to actually use correct one I'm trying to press. I haven't successfully executed a chain since the tutorial "explained" how to do it. No clue what's up with skills either, I suspect the AI can't actually use about 80% of them so you just waste SP if you never take direct control of that character.
Yeah, im digging it, but im not as impressed as i was expecting really. The colors are fuckin annoying as all hell but il get over it.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I like the game overall but there's so many little issues that make it annoying, like how in Manual mode you jump with Up instead of X+Up, so using the Up+Circle Arte is annoying as shit as you have to press Up before circle(otherwise it does the normal arte) but if you don't time it well you jump then use a shifted arte instead.

How the NPCs seem to be doing jackshit a lot of the time, I got the ranged girl and she's like low TP and she won't fucking autoattack stuff, from range, stupid AI, also sometimes, often when a mob is against the edges of an area(and they always are), they don't attack it cause of positionning or whatever don't know.

Also sharing my TP costs with whoever I'm linked with, even though I generate a ton more TP than them since I'm actually attacking like twice as much, so I can't be spamming shifted arte without draining my linked partner.

Finally(for now), how the Arte combos just decide to not work if the other guy is performing an action at the same time or whatever. Like I can understand if they're stunned/knocked down, makes sense, but sometimes it just won't go because he's doing some stupid normal attacks or moving around and I have to use my Arte multiple times to get the combo to fucking stick. It doesn't even make sense since other times they'll simply interupt whatever they're doing, teleport next to me and perform the combo, so I don't get it, maybe my R2 button is fucked.

Anyway other than the annoyances, I really like the character progression and the item shop stuff and so far the story and characters are nice.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Anyway other than the annoyances, I really like the character progression and the item shop stuff and so far the story and characters are nice.
Same, enjoying the game quite a bit even though the combat has some issues. The web thing is great and the item shop stuff is good. Definitely like the story and characters.

The color palette definitely seems drab compared to Vesperia, which had some heavy saturation and shading effects. It's not as drab as Graces F though and looks just about as good as Veperia on a technical level, just not artistically. It could be that it also just doesn't like certain RGB output settings, going to mess with it a bit there. I have it on Full Range right now since all my content to my TV is setup to be that way and I'll see if it works better on Limited.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Well, after playing around with the Video settings it seems it doesn't matter as long as you have it setup properly. They just used way too bland of a color palette for the environments. I think the characters look pretty good; they don't pop quite like Vesperia's do (which looks better), but they're not too dull either.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Fucking hell, when you're in a desert area all you see is blue hue surrounding the screen, made me want to rage.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Seems my R2 button was indeed busted, changed it to R1(btw love being able to rebind buttons in console games, wish more had the option) and now it works fine, targetting is on the busted button. Sucks though cause I really don't want to buy a new PS3 pad.

The combat gets quite a lot better when you have 4 chars and like 6+ AC and many artes to pull combos from, early on it drags on and it's very mash heavy but now I do a lot of comboing and I have many different Artes for different situation like juggling mobs in the air or doing big damage or the arte combos stuff, it's quite nice.

Vinen

God is dead
Combat System is fucking awful in Xillia. Definite regression from prior games... feels clunky

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I like the combat, and the character progression system is one of the best. Milla was a bit weird to control at first but now I like her a lot.

Definitely better than Graces overall, it's up there with Vesperia for me but not as good as Abyss.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Combat is definitely getting a lot better the further I get into it. Ally AI also starts to behave a lot better once they have a good number of abilities unlocked and there's some nice stuff when you get into the second Orb on your characters like time extensions for Over Limits and upgrades to Jude's Snap Pivot.

Needless

Toe Sucker
biggest gripe of xillia... the main character being a fist user.
I want "swag" ass weapons god damnit.

Sean_sl

shitlord
So, 38 is a bit too low for those Devil Beasts. Ran into one and it one-shot all my party members even when setting it to Easy.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I'm not very far into this game.. but immediately seeing Ivar all i can picture is:
rrr_img_40131.jpg

With a ponytail lol
I miss .hack
frown.png