Tales of...

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
I'm about halfway into Xillia. It's not a bad game but it's very much a JRPG (with emphasis on the J). Only other Tales game I played was Vesperia but it's been a few years and don't really remember it.

The thing with Xillia is that on Normal it's stupidly easy. On Hard, random fights take forever and bosses will rape me. Generally I run around on Hard and switch to Moderate for bosses after having my ass handed to me.

The shop system is what breaks the game though. You never know if you're over or under geared though since you level up the shops. It's very easy to over-level the weapon shop and be overpowered relative to where you are expected to be.

Overall it's a good game though and looking forward to Xillia 2 next year.

Arica_sl

shitlord
Is it worth importing Tales of Vesperia for the ps3 even though I know absolutely no Japanese? I'd use a translation guide obviously.

Thanks

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Bumping this thread.

Tales of Xillia 2 comes out on Tuesday (the 18th) in the U.S. Like all "Tales of" games, it gets mixed reviews but it looks pretty and if you liked the first (and I did), it's definitely worth picking up. With that being said, these niche games seem to go on sale, relatively, quick so it's a judgement call as to when to pick it up.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I really need to go back and finish ToX1
frown.png
I get too lazy to unpack my PS3 though *sniffle*

turbo

Molten Core Raider
No games outside of rare hand held games seem to interest me for rpg's outside of Disgaea. Not sure why but after you have ate Kobe Beef, Salisbury steak just doesn't cut it!

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Not sure why you'd compare Tales and Disgaea, they're entirely different games. It's like comparing SC2 and Civilization or something. Sure they're both RPG, but the Tales series is most well known for its action combat, stringing combos together and beating bosses by skill as much as by stats. On the other hand, Disgaea is a tactical RPG, it uses mostly grid based and turn based combat(obviously not rigid rules here depends on the title and stuff), which is the entire opposite style.

Looks like drunk posting to me, especially the double post part.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Seeing someone refer to Disgaea as the Kobe beef of RPGs was good for a laugh at least.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Thats preference talking, hell if i were to say what Kobe beef was to me in the form of an RPG id be saying Dragons Dogma or D:OS.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Never played any of the Disgaea games myself.

Personally I'll admit the "Tales of" games aren't the best. The dialogue and story can be downright awful at times. They also rely, heavily, on JRPG tropes. But with that being said, they're still fun and give you a lot of game for your dollar.

If I had to pick a favorite JRPG series or game, I'd have a really hard time deciding but I'd probably go with the Valkyrie Profile series.

Column_sl

shitlord
Has anyone played Sword Art Online on the Vita? It's damn impressive game, I was surprised. I have the english version from China, but the digital version is on PSN this week.

If you like Tales you will really like this I believe.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
I plan on picking up both Xillia 2 and SAO tommorrow. Happy to hear SAO is a good game, it did look pretty fun from the few gameplay videos I caught.

Column_sl

shitlord
The only thing that sucks about SAO is all the waifu crap. There is literally 30 mins of dialogue before you can even start playing out of the first town haha

Saban_sl

shitlord
Do you get a bonus for having a Tales of Xillia 1 save? Also what business did this game have costing me 70bux?

Saban_sl

shitlord
Do you get a bonus for having a Tales of Xillia 1 save? Also what business did this game have costing me 70bux?
ahh as soon as you get past the initial tutorial you get a bonus item for having a save game and another if you cleared the game.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
ahh as soon as you get past the initial tutorial you get a bonus item for having a save game and another if you cleared the game.
Did you get one for having a Tales of Symphonia or Graces F save? Don't remember if you played either of those.