Tales of...

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
So Ni No Kuni has reignited my desire for JRPG's and I'm considering picking up Tales of Vesperia for the 360 and Tales of Graces f for the PS3 and after some feedback on them.

From the reviews I've seen everyone seems to love Vesperia but I've seen conflicting reviews about Graces with the one from gametrailers kind of souring me on it but I figure if anywhere could give me true feedback then here (and Sean in particular) would do it. For the record I love all the Phantasy Stars, just picked up FF5-9 for ps3, have the rest up to 13-2 on ps2/3 and 360, spent ages tracking down Kingdom Hearts 1/2 and have pretty much all the JRPG's available on the 360 apart from Tales (shitty release and discontinue over here for it) so it's not like I'm averse to bad games (hi Infinite Undiscovery) and was really loving White Knight Chronicles before NNK replaced it in my console.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Graces F is one of the weaker Tales, but it'll do in a pinch if you really need a JRPG fix. The combat's not as good as Vesperia's, but it's not bad either. The story, characters, graphics (it's an upscaled Wii port), are all kind of a step below Vesperia, but again they're not really bad. It's a pretty large game and it'll take up a good chunk of your time if you really want a JRPG to play. It's definitely a lot better than shit like Infinite Undiscovery and The Last Remnant at the very least.

Vesperia on the other hand is really just amazing in every category. Beautiful art, great combat, a great supporting cast and an awesome protagonist that isn't afraid to exact his justice upon the world (really don't want to spoil why he's a badass, it's awesome). You should absolutely play Vesperia.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's definitely a lot better than shit like Infinite Undiscovery and The Last Remnant at the very least.
Have to disagree strongly there. The Last Remnant (PC) was one of the best JRPGs I played this gen--vastly better than Graces f, which I would put down at Star Ocean TLH levels of awful. Bad characters, bad story, mind-numbingly boring combat.

Vesperia sounded a lot more interesting.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Graces F was shit, and i love Tales games but that was no where near up to par with Vesperia. Likewise i agree - with new next gen consoles coming around i would fuckin love a new Last Remnant. I've mentioned it before but aside from the horrible performance tech wise the game was pretty amazing. Star Ocean the 2nd story will forever be my favorite jrpg of all time.

Needless

Toe Sucker
putting further emphasis on Graces F being a pile of turd.
If you want to play a good, recent game, play Vesperia.

Xillia looks amazing, I can't wait for it~

ZProtoss

Golden Squire
Vesperia was a fantastic game. Reiterating what was mentioned above when it comes to the protagonist. Vesperia's protagonist was one of the most refreshing/unique to hit the genre in a long, long time.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Some serious Graces hate up in here. I didn't think it was that bad. It wasn't like, good, but it was a decent time killer and there's far worse shit out there.

Definitely not in Vesperia's league on any front though.

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
So seems almost universal dislike of Graces, guess worst comes to worst I can grab it from EBGames here and if it sucks too badly return it. Will def grab Vesperia next week from the UK though and just gabbed a Vita to make use of the FF games I grabbed yesterday from PSN sale so I'm probably ok with not looking at Graces

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Game is looking sharp - only reason my PS3 has not been traded in just yet.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Just my 2c, Last Odyssey was really good IMO. Check it out if you havent played it.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Tales of Phantasia PS1 remake, there's an english patch that is really well done. The game is actually kind of difficult in and old school kind of way.

top_psx_shots_zpsf4779801.jpg

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Played it, got bored midways through - i rarely finish anything turn based ever.

(LO that is)

Sean_sl

shitlord
PS3's Tales of Xillia 2 Officially Coming West

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/...ly-coming-west

- I dont remember part 2 being as good as part 1 according to reviews, and i likely wont have a ps3/xbox by the time its released :/
I am super fucking happy that Namco-Bandai is finally pulling their heads out of their asses with regards to the Tales series in the Western regions. This is going to be a great couple years for Tales fans with Xillia in August, Symphonia Chronicles HD next Spring, and Xillia 2 sometime after that.

You should absolutely keep your PS3 around man, there's still going to be great games released for it for the next 2 years or so. There's still plenty of RPGs coming and the PS3 will still have life in it a couple years into the PS4's launch. I definitely would not get rid of it.

Goldenmean_sl

shitlord
I hate to admit this, but I never actually finished Vesperia, though I did go through Tales of Graces multiple times to unlock true ending, etc. Not saying Graces is the better game, because it isn't, but I didn't find it to be the horrible drek lots of other people are saying it is.

And in my defense, I picked up Vesperia when it launched, but then heard about the enhanced edition for the PS3 releasing in Japan, so decided to shelve the 360 version and hope they released the enhanced version domestically, because at this point in my life, I have more games than time, and didn't want to spoil myself on the unenhanced version. Of course Namco-Bandai have a long tradition of not releasing stuff in the west, and despite constant rumors, it looks like they finally confirmed we aren't getting the PS3 version. Should probably dust off the vanilla version and go through that now.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
That's awesome to hear. Sypmphonia was one of those Gamecube games that I bought randomly and just loved it. Vesperia I spent way too much time playing. Think that I had Poison (?) on my Amazon list for a while, but my PS2 was packaged a while back. Am really looking to Xillia and excited about the HD Symph.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I was super disappointed that they never released the PS3 version of Vesperia in the West. I'd have bought another copy of it in a heartbeat. I'd still buy another copy in a heartbeat, even if it came out 2-3 years from now and well into the PS4's life. I truly hope that Namdo-Bandai has gotten over this bullshit of not releasing Tales games in the West.

If the Hyperdimension Neptunia series is successful enough to keep getting localized then surely the fucking Tales series isn't a bust. Considering some of the stuff I've seen localized over the life of the PS2 and PS3 and stuff that keeps getting made and localized it really must not takemany salesto offset the cost of it and surely the Tales series, which is far and away leagues above some of this other shit in quality, makes enough to be profitable. I can only assume that the Namco-Bandai guys were either greedy and it wasn't "enough" of a profit for them to care about the Western fans or there was some asinine Xenophobia going on, possibly both. Plus, with Vesperia it'd only have been adding in a bit of extra content, not an entire game localization. Shit is just baffling.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I am super fucking happy that Namco-Bandai is finally pulling their heads out of their asses with regards to the Tales series in the Western regions. This is going to be a great couple years for Tales fans with Xillia in August, Symphonia Chronicles HD next Spring, and Xillia 2 sometime after that.

You should absolutely keep your PS3 around man, there's still going to be great games released for it for the next 2 years or so. There's still plenty of RPGs coming and the PS3 will still have life in it a couple years into the PS4's launch. I definitely would not get rid of it.
Aside from their being limited space remaining in the game room, i hardly touch my PS3 aside from those rare times a gem is released that i cannot pass up. I play enough games as is i could stand to miss a few! Hopefully by the time Xil-2 is coming out FF15 will also be on its way....right? (wishful thinking overload here!)