Tales of...

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

norp

Bronze Squire
Just a quick question to series veterans, is the combat just a zergy-clusterfuck at all times or am I just not seeing the full picture because of only playing the demo?

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Just a quick question to series veterans, is the combat just a zergy-clusterfuck at all times or am I just not seeing the full picture because of only playing the demo?

Not sure yet, they do have a dodge mechanic in this time so here is to hoping it is less button mashing this time around. Pretty sure the hardest setting will get your shit pushed in if you don't block/dodge, and overall play smart.

eXarc

Molten Core Raider
There is always a shitload going on in combat, but it is a controlled chaos once you get the mechanics of character switching and linking down. Combat is always a bit different in the series as well, not sure how the system is in Berseria.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
10 hours in and they are still throwing unlockables at me, some of it is basic stuff like run into enemy from the rear for advantage on combat start but other things I had no idea about like super attacks and from what I read more later allows you to chain them/dual them.

Vinen

God is dead
10 hours in and they are still throwing unlockables at me, some of it is basic stuff like run into enemy from the rear for advantage on combat start but other things I had no idea about like super attacks and from what I read more later allows you to chain them/dual them.

This is good to hear after the abortion that was Zestria. Is the story at least coherent and not jumping all over the place?

My favorite is still Tales of Destiny 2 (JP, not Eternia). Holy shit could the game get noisy (sound and visual) when spells and ougi were being casted and triggered around each other.
Edit: There is something to say for the simplicity of 2D. Still think the combat system in Destroy 2 was superior to the 3D systems.

And ROFL. Forgot I had bought the Fangirl version of Destiny which is told from Leon's POV. Just looked at my gamestack and it was there.

Last edited:

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
This is good to hear after the abortion that was Zestria. Is the story at least coherent and not jumping all over the place?

Yes some minor spoilers about the plot.

You are betrayed and your sole purpose is revenge so you go around using anyone and anything to get that revenge, she is brutal as fuck sometimes and reminds me of the Claymore anime. Not sure where story is going but I have some guesses already, that said it has surprised me twice already and that is a rare thing.

Vinen

God is dead
Yes some minor spoilers about the plot.

You are betrayed and your sole purpose is revenge so you go around using anyone and anything to get that revenge, she is brutal as fuck sometimes and reminds me of the Claymore anime. Not sure where story is going but I have some guesses already, that said it has surprised me twice already and that is a rare thing.

Is she as murdery as the Tales of Vesperia main hero?

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
No, under her rage she appears to still care about the innocent.

Last edited:

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I'll be picking beseria up today anything special I should know ahead of the time besides apparently being the best tales game in years?

littles

Lord Nagafen Raider
I beat this and if Vespiria is a 10 for a tales game then I put Berseria at an 8.5. The only things I didn't really like about the game were the itemization (just give me uber items that I can find or craft, I don't want to feel like I need to farm a million parts to upgrade my new sword to +1), the English voice actress felt like she was talking while clenching her teeth the entire time which really bothered me for whatever reason, and the dungeons were rather straight forward with not a ton of puzzles.

Other than those things the combat was decently fluid and the story was different enough that I actually beat the game which is saying something since it's the first jrpg I have seen through to the end in quite a awhile.

While she still seems to care about the innocent she still is all for killing any and everybody in her way, I think she is far more murdery than the vesperia hero in that she literally rips the angels/people/demons souls from their bodies when she kills them.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Yeah Vesperia was easily my 10/10 for Tales so far for me - I'll be picking this up after i finish up FF15. I may actually buy the steam version just for more visuals (if possible)

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Beat this last night, I found this game really fantastic. I liked it considerably more than Vesperia. I actually rate Vesperia rather low on my "tales of" list. I don't get the love for it, but each their own I guess. Beseria is one of the best in the series. I found the main character to be a total and complete badass. The only thing I didn't like was...

playing 3D pacman with a surfboard, and the countless white glowies to click on. Why they couldn't have made those so you just had to move over them as well, I'll never know.

Phelps McManus

<Silver Donator>
I have never played a Tales game before, but I am ~10 hours into Berseria and I really like it. I thought the action-based combat would turn me off, but it is enjoyable - better than FFXV.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I kinda screwed up and

beat the EX dungeon too early making the end boss of the main story leet mode

so I've been grade farming the fuck out of everything in prep for the 2nd playthrough.

<3 grade

edit: lol, smashed my old grade record by over 150 grade.

848de028f7cb2efd0e2871492caac30d.png

Last edited:

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Upgraded Vesperia would be awesome, especially on Steam. Vesperia and Abyss are my two favorite tales games, I think they'd both sell well remastered.