Teaching English as a foreign language

I'm looking into the possibility of becoming an English teacher in Vietnam but I have a couple questions that I hope can be answered.

Is anyone here familiar with Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) certificates?

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Don't know about the TEFL, but I know you can find a job in 3 days if english is your mothertongue, it's even decently paid (at least 300k VND / $15 per hour for a beginner in one of those language school), which is already enough to live confortably everywhere (well Hanoi is getting somewhat expensive if you want to live with the western confort, but $1500 a month should be enough, and you should be able to win significantly more than that after a few months.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
I'm looking into the possibility of becoming an English teacher in Vietnam but I have a couple questions that I hope can be answered.

Is anyone here familiar with Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) certificates?
TEFL is recognized certification in Canada. Now, a lot of places will accept people with bachelor in arts department (English, History, Classic) and really not necessary as long as your english is mothertongue and you have some kind of background in teaching/education.

Don't know about the TEFL, but I know you can find a job in 3 days if english is your mothertongue, it's even decently paid (at least 300k VND / $15 per hour for a beginner in one of those language school), which is already enough to live confortably everywhere (well Hanoi is getting somewhat expensive if you want to live with the western confort, but $1500 a month should be enough, and you should be able to win significantly more than that after a few months.
I have heard finding a teaching job is like being a kid in a candy store, but I didn't know even beginner jobs would pay so well. I plan to find a job before I leave the US but I'm terrified of being offered a job that pays the equivalent of $15USD per hour only to have them say "Oh, we're only giving you $5 per hour" when I get to Vietnam. As for the living conditions (and expensiveness) of living near Hanoi, I've already decided to live in southern Vietnam near HCMC; mainly because I've been told by several native Vietnamese that they are generally less rude to foreigners but I believe it's also slightly cheaper there.

TEFL is recognized certification in Canada. Now, a lot of places will accept people with bachelor in arts department (English, History, Classic) and really not necessary as long as your english is mothertongue and you have some kind of background in teaching/education.
The necessity of a bachelor's degree was one of my biggest concerns, thank you. Are you able to comment on the kind of wage differences a new expatriate can expect while holding a bachelor's degree plus TEFL (TEFL is a required document for all intents and purposes) vs someone just holding a TEFL?

Also, I've been reading up on different versions of TEFL; Do you know what kind of differences (when looking for a job, in rate of pay, etc.) I should expect with a CELTA certificate vs a TESOL? Those are the two TEFL's I am most likely to choose between when I start taking classes here.

Any other things you guys could say to quell my fears of literally moving to the other side of the world would be appreciated.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
You'll be fine just take it easy and look into the psychological effects of moving long distance that you'll have to tackle. They are probably your biggest concern.

Don't go into dark alleys at night alone, common sense stuff in that regard. See if you can find a youtuber who lives in Vietnam and videoblogs about life there, like this guy does for China

serpentza

You can wrap your head better around what life is like there by vicariously living through another's experiences, and you might get wizened up to some scams that they might try to pull on you when you first get there.

Also, note that if you are a US citizen who moves abroad, and you make above a certain pay, I think you gotta pay taxes twice. Once in the resident country and another time back here. Which sucks balls.

Overall though, you're an adult, you can do this shit if you want to. Lots of people do.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk

I teach English as a second language as a career. I've been doing it for about 8 - 9 years now. I started doing it overseas (Russia, Spain, Kazakhstan) and now I do it full-time in the U.S. I'll address some of your questions below, but if you have more questions feel free to ask.

TEFL certificates vary WILDLY and there is no real control or oversight of them. My advice would be to spend the extra time and money and get a CELTA. A CELTA is head-and-shoulders above any other TEFL certificate, and it is pretty much the internationally recognized standard in every country but the United States and Canada. If you have a CELTA, the entire world opens up to you. I have a CELTA, and I'm in the process of becoming a CELTA trainer myself, so if you have any CELTA-specific questions, let me know.

I have heard finding a teaching job is like being a kid in a candy store, but I didn't know even beginner jobs would pay so well. I plan to find a job before I leave the US but I'm terrified of being offered a job that pays the equivalent of $15USD per hour only to have them say "Oh, we're only giving you $5 per hour" when I get to Vietnam. As for the living conditions (and expensiveness) of living near Hanoi, I've already decided to live in southern Vietnam near HCMC; mainly because I've been told by several native Vietnamese that they are generally less rude to foreigners but I believe it's also slightly cheaper there.

Kind of going back to my previous point about getting a well-recognized TEFL cert, the more credentials you have, the more opportunities you'll have for better schools. All English schools are NOT created equal, but by sticking with some of the well-known ones, you can pretty much guarantee at least a certain level of professionalism. For example, International House is based in England, and they are good about being professional, honoring contracts, and paying livable wages as a result. Another solid one is The British Council. You could also find a chain of schools that is local to the region you're going (in your case, Vietnam). You're more likely to get a good salary and reliable professionalism from a chain of schools that is used to dealing with foreign teachers as opposed to a single mom and pop school where you might be their only foreigner.

The necessity of a bachelor's degree was one of my biggest concerns, thank you. Are you able to comment on the kind of wage differences a new expatriate can expect while holding a bachelor's degree plus TEFL (TEFL is a required document for all intents and purposes) vs someone just holding a TEFL?

Also, I've been reading up on different versions of TEFL; Do you know what kind of differences (when looking for a job, in rate of pay, etc.) I should expect with a CELTA certificate vs a TESOL? Those are the two TEFL's I am most likely to choose between when I start taking classes here.

As long as you're working for a reputable school, you will make at least a livable wage for the area you're in. Schools that trick people into coming and not honoring their contracts don't last long, because people just hop back on a plane and leave. Like most jobs, the more credentials you bring to the table, the more money you'll be able to negotiate. If you have just a TEFL certificate, you will probably have trouble finding a job at truly reputable, international English schools (International House, British Council, etc.). If you have a TEFL cert and a bachelor's, more doors will open, and you'll be able to command a (slightly) higher salary. A CELTA + a bachelor's degree (especially if that degree is in a language-related field) and you pretty much have all the bargaining power in the world.

One important thing to find out when looking for a job is whether you have to pay rent yourself, or an apartment is provided for you as part of your package. Obviously, if an apartment is provided for you, you can get by with considerably less salary. On the other hand, if you're expected to pay your own rent and utilities, you'll need to make sure that you're going to have enough money left over to live comfortably each month. Personally, I'd never go with a school that didn't provide an apartment for me. I know people who had to pay their own rent (although they received a stipend each month) and they ran into headaches of rent increases and dealing with landlords. That shit is hard enough in your home country, so imagine it abroad.

Any other things you guys could say to quell my fears of literally moving to the other side of the world would be appreciated.

Before signing a contract with any school, shoot some emails to some of their teachers. You can simply ask the hiring person for contact information. If the school is reputable, they won't mind letting you talk to some of their current teachers. If a school ever declines, abort! That's a HUGE red flag.

Don't worry about taxes. The chances of you making enough money (especially working in a place like Vietnam) for it to be an issue with the American government is practically zero.

Learn some of the language before you go. Knowing even a little bit can make the first days and weeks SO much easier. Don't be one of those typical teachers who shows up in another country knowing only English.

If you decide to get a CELTA, a good option is to do your CELTA training in (or near) the country where you eventually want to teach. Not only will this be good cultural exposure and let you sort of stick your toes in the water, it can also give you some great networking opportunities. For example, I did my CELTA in Spain, and several people were able to get jobs teaching there immediately after finishing their CELTA.

Keep in mind that a lot of schools view you with the same risk that you view them. They don't know you, and they don't know that you're going to honor anything you say. They could go through all the signing paperwork, government issues, etc., only to have you be like "Nah, gonna pass after all. Peace out!" via email a day before your arrival. Don't take things personally, and remember it's all business.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gurgeh

Saigon is indeed slightly cheaper, and yeah people in the south are nicer. Saigon is quite easy to live in nowadays, you can find decent western food, a lot of people speak english , and there is a large number of english speaking expatriates. The drawback is obviously that you have more competition in your business. Basicaly what you are supposed to do if you're serious about teaching and living a while in Vietnam is to start teaching in the language schools and start finding students for private tutoring, if you're good, you'll end up with classes of 20 vietnamese in your appartment paying each 100k VND per hour, i.e. close to $100 per hour. It's significantly easier to achieve that in Hanoi, where good english teachers are in very high demand, and are much rarer than in Saigon.

Basicaly if you want an easy 3/6 months vacation, Saigon is the way to go. If you believe you're there for longer than that, probably heading for Hanoi straight away is the better move, you'll find more high paying opportunities. As for the cost of living, Hanoi used to be much cheaper than Saigon, nowadays I'd say Hanoi is slightly more expensive now but it's not so different.

I'm being told that people are starting to try to avoid language schools because there are too many unprofessionnal backpackers teaching for a couple of weeks here and there to pay for their vacations, and a lot of them are just bad at it. So if you're looking for a good job, try to not look like one, the "cool american in thongs, a flower shirt and a long beard" is not as popular as it used to be for those kind of jobs.

Last edited:
My advice would be to spend the extra time and money and get a CELTA.
This was my plan after reading several articles on the different TEFL certificates out there. I was surprised when I read there's no governing body overseeing all the hundreds of TEFL sources there are.
Kind of going back to my previous point about getting a well-recognized TEFL cert, the more credentials you have, the more opportunities you'll have for better schools. All English schools are NOT created equal, but by sticking with some of the well-known ones, you can pretty much guarantee at least a certain level of professionalism. For example, International House is based in England, and they are good about being professional, honoring contracts, and paying livable wages as a result. Another solid one is The British Council. You could also find a chain of schools that is local to the region you're going (in your case, Vietnam). You're more likely to get a good salary and reliable professionalism from a chain of schools that is used to dealing with foreign teachers as opposed to a single mom and pop school where you might be their only foreigner.
This entire paragraph has made me realize I shouldn't just browse schools by myself. When the time comes for me to apply to schools before leaving the US, I will seek out an organization like the ones you mentioned.
As long as you're working for a reputable school, you will make at least a livable wage for the area you're in.
That is a huge weight off my shoulders.
If you have just a TEFL certificate, you will probably have trouble finding a job at truly reputable, international English schools
Hmm, even if it is a CELTA? In an ideal world, I would love to acquire a bachelor's degree before I go over there but I don't want to be in debt for years.
Learn some of the language before you go.
Luckily, I've got some Vietnamese friends that I've been exchanging English lessons for Viet lessons over the past few months. On that note, the tones of speaking Vietnamese are very difficult to learn, haha.
Keep in mind that a lot of schools view you with the same risk that you view them.
I hadn't considered that actually. That's a good thing to remember.

Your entire post was super informative. Thank you very much. If you're ever bored and want to share anything and everything you can about your experiences teaching abroad, I would gladly read it all.

private tutoring
A couple of my Vietnamese friends have tried convincing me to move there a.s.a.p. and tutor out of my apartment before I look for official teaching jobs. I'm not brave enough for that, but I definitely plan on hosting some classes from my apartment for supplemental income.
It's significantly easier to achieve that in Hanoi
Have you lived in Vietnam, to know that for sure? My contacts who live in HCMC have been there their whole lives and say all of their teachers had no issues finding jobs.
So if you're looking for a good job, try to not look like one, the "cool american in thongs, a flower shirt and a long beard" is not as popular as it used to be for those kind of jobs.
Haha, I appreciate the advice but thankfully I prefer to dress professionally.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
man this sounds great, i wish i would have done something like this out of college. which country is best for banging underage girls?

Last edited:

Gurgeh

Have you lived in Vietnam, to know that for sure? My contacts who live in HCMC have been there their whole lives and say all of their teachers had no issues finding jobs.
I've spent over a year in Vietnam now, the wife is vietnamese ( from Hanoi), I've spent about 40% of my time in the north and 30% in the south and 30% in the center. My advice would be to see for yourself, HAN-SGN is 2 hours and you can find flights for as low as $60, you can find decent hotels both in Saigon and Hanoi for $20 a night, so checking both for 4/5 days each would be rather cheap, hell you could even try Da Nang which is becoming a major touristic city, no doubt you can easily find a job there as well.

Anyway, if you made plans months in advance to come in Vietnam, you probably made your first mistake. If you're dealing with locals expect whatever deal you negociated to not be quite what you expected and to have to find a new job quickly, which should be rather easy. When in Rome, do as the Roman do, they say. Well in Vietnam it means to not plan too much ahead and to hope for the best. If you're considering Vietnam and not Korea or Japan it means you're not too risk-averse and I'm quite sure that whatever deal you found in advance, you can find much better within weeks once you arrived.

Note that there isn't much love between the south and the north vietnamese, so if you talked to southern vietnamese, they'll tell you north is shit and it works the other way around. So you can't trust too much what they say. For me, it's obvious that in this business there are more opportunities in the north (where it's not quite as organized as in the south) and there is more security in the south (the business is more organized...).

I've spent over a year in Vietnam now
Oh, that's great. I never expected to find someone who lives over there on this board, haha. Aside from my questions about teaching, I have a few quality of life concerns (all of which could be researched by me, but if I can hear it from someone who has "recently" made the transition to living there I'll take that 100 times out of 100). I'm gonna be moving there from Pennsylvania, so I'm used to conditions like snow/average temps./not much humidity. I know it will be humid, but how much of an issue are mosquitoes and insects there, and is bug spray a thing in VN or will I have to import it?
Have you noticed any issues with electricity? EX: Are grounded outlets common there? Should I fear having things like my computer fried due to power surges/some other type of electrical problem I'm just unfamiliar with?
How about drinking water? Around the major cities, is it safe to drink straight from the tap, or should I stick to bottled water? Is bottled water expensive there?
The traffic looks so damn intimidating, but most people say once you're used to it, it's not that bad. Is that true in your experience?
What is the internet like over there? Speed/price/etc.
checking both for 4/5 days each would be rather cheap
That's very true. I'm the kind of guy who likes to find the best option and stick with it, so I was thinking from a mindset of "If you move to the south, you'd better plan not to move for a long time!".
if you made plans months in advance to come in Vietnam, you probably made your first mistake.
Nah, I haven't made any plans like that. Luckily, one of my friends over there offered me a place to stay in her house until I'm able to get on my feet.
Note that there isn't much love between the south and the north vietnamese
Haha, so I've heard. But even some of my northern friends have agreed that they are generally the more rude people.

If you want to share any other things I should be cautious/aware of making the transition from America to Vietnam, I would greatly appreciate it!

Last edited:

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
I've taught English in Japan for 5 years now. I got the job without a CELTA, TEFL, or any other kind of qualification other than a uni degree.

The company you work for matters far more than anything else.

Edit: My background is in Business, no teaching anywhere in my resume. I ended up teaching Business English in the Wall Street area of Tokyo.

Last edited:

McCheese

I've taught English in Japan for 5 years now. I got the job without a CELTA, TEFL, or any other kind of qualification other than a uni degree.

The company you work for matters far more than anything else.

Edit: My background is in Business, no teaching anywhere in my resume. I ended up teaching Business English in the Wall Street area of Tokyo.

When you say "company," do you teach English in a corporate environment or do you teach English in a private language school?

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
When you say "company," do you teach English in a corporate environment or do you teach English in a private language school?

Both. I teach at a private language school, but I also contract out teaching lessons at various companies directly to the students in groups of usually 3-6, but as many as 12, and sometimes 1 on 1. I teach some pretty famous and well known people at top global companies but I have confidentiality agreements so I'm not allowed to discuss them.

That's kind of out of reach of a new teacher to the country so I was referring more to him joining a language company in Korea. Which one he joins really matters. Do the research - there's usually forums discussing the pros and cons of each language company, especially the cons, and see if they are ones you can live with.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
As a side note, I'm the laziest guy you will ever meet. I only work 3 hours a day on weekdays only and spend the rest of my time with friends, playing video games, watching anime, and dicking around in Akihabara. It's pretty much an ideal life.

Happy to meet up with anyone who comes to Japan too. Three down so far, but I always love showing new people the sites and food.

McCheese

Both. I teach at a private language school, but I also contract out teaching lessons at various companies directly to the students in groups of usually 3-6, but as many as 12, and sometimes 1 on 1. I teach some pretty famous and well known people at top global companies but I have confidentiality agreements so I'm not allowed to discuss them.

That's kind of out of reach of a new teacher to the country so I was referring more to him joining a language company in Korea. Which one he joins really matters. Do the research - there's usually forums discussing the pros and cons of each language company, especially the cons, and see if they are ones you can live with.

OK. That's basically what I did as well. I always hated teaching the corporate clients, but it was the best money by far.