Tennis

Szlia

DAY 6: bottom half of the draw, third round

FEDERERNever faced a break point against heavy serving australianGroth. He dropped a set though, thanks to a double fault in a breaker.

MURRAYwon 2, 2 and 1 againstSeppi. Well... He also dropped the third set 6-1. Don't ask me what happened there because I do not know!

SEEDICIDE WATCH:TsongametKarlovicat the same stage in 2009 and lost in four sets, including three breakers. Today he lost in four sets including three breakers! On the up side for the frenchman, this time he never dropped his serve!

NOTABLE FACTS: As the three previous Nadal slayers,Brownlost his next round. Oh and thatCilicvsIsnermatch we left at 10-10? It lasted 2 games today! Cilic won them both.

ROUND OF 32:Federerwill faceBautista Agutnext. The consistent spaniard should be swept away, unless Federer has an off day.Murraywill faceKarlovic. If Tsonga is known for being a so-so competitor and a poor returner, the scot should make things a lot more difficult for the tall croatian. Will it be too difficult? Possibly, but I would not bet my house on it because Karlovic is really playing well these days.

Oh and remember Sunday there is no tennis because.... tradition! I guess that's why they moved the Monfils vs Simon match mid way through to finish it under the roof and lights of the center court (Simon won btw).

Szlia

DAY 7: No tennis.

DAY 8: Gentlemen's Single 4th round.

DJOKOVICfaced as super aggressive Anderson that proved a lot more clutch than usual. In the first set breaker, it's the World N?1 who blinked with an untimely double fault and in the second set breaker, Anderson managed to recover from a poor start and shock a Djokovic who though he had the match leveled. Absolutely not amused by the situation, the serb raised his intensity, made more of these deep returns I expected him to make and cruised for a set and a half against a shaken south-african. Already a break down in the fourth, Anderson steadied the ship, served better and proved both aggressive and consistent in the rallies. Still, he could not break back. The match nicely poised at 2 sets all, play was called for the day. The crowd of court 1 screamed and shouted for the match to be completed under the lights of Center Court, like they did on Saturday with the Simon vs Monfils match, but, nope, play was adjourned (the move to Center on Saturday was exceptional, because you just can't play on sunday and the fourth round had to be played on Monday).

WAWRINKAplayed a poor, topsy-turvy match. A lot of unforced errors, erratic first serves, trademark backhand down the line AWOL... so he won in straight sets against Goffin! The Wawrinka of old would have lost that in straight, but today's double grand slam champion won that with an ugly 7-6 7-6 6-4

MURRAYfound himself in a tough battle against an inspired Karlovic. Somehow though, the scot wiggled his way through the first set to win it 9-7 in the breaker. Better even: he benefited from the hangover effect and broke Karlovic early in the 2nd. A set and break down after having played some stellar tennis who have been a huge downer for most, but Dr. Ivo kept at it and it paid late in the third where he managed to string enough booming 2nd serve returns and intimidating chip-and-charges to break the Murray serve and bag the set. Murray kept the hopes of the host nation alive though, by breaking the Karlovic serve a 2nd time late in the fourth. 7-6 6-4 5-7 6-4.

FEDERERran circles around Bautista Agut. The only suspenseful part of this match was the last game, where Federer was so willing to end with a flourish that he missed like 5 match points. In the end, the spaniard lost his serve and the match with an unforced error. 6-2 6-2 6-3.

SEEDICIDE WATCH: Troicki [22] was leading two sets to love against Pospisil, but matches are best of five for a reason. The young canadian won the next three sets and the match. 19 sets in 4 rounds! I guess he is lucky it's not the French Open! Simon [12] lead the head to head against Berdych [6] with a surprising 6 to 4. I guess the somewhat predictable play of the powerful czech suits the counter-punching tactician that is Simon. Today, the frenchman disgusted Berdych early and cruised to an easy 6-3 6-3 6-2 victory.

NOTABLE FACTS: Last year, Gasquet lost to Kyrgios after leading two sets to love and having 9 match points. So when he once again failed to convert in the 3rd set breaker after leading two sets to love, he turned his racket into firewood (well... you see what I mean, wooden racket is probably the only tradition Wimbledon does not enforce). He was very very close to find himself in a fifth set too, but, Kyrgios, after gifting the first set with a failed 2nd serve ace attempt on break point and not playing through the 2nd set because he got a warning for bad language, that genius Kygrios served another two double faults in the fourth set breaker, including another 2nd serve ace attempt when match point down. A fine line between bravery and foolishness. Not really notable, but since it's the only match not mentioned: Cilic beat last american Kudla in 4 sets.

QUARTER FINALS:

??? vs CILIC: I am really not sure of how well Cilic is playing at the moment. He reached the quarters, but, on paper, he only had the one match that should have been challenging (Isner) and he made it through by the skin of his teeth and lost another three sets against modest players. Still, when he gets the ball rolling, we have seen what he is capable of.

WAWRINKA vs GASQUET: Both guys turned pro in 2002. Both guys have been in the Top 30 for years. Yet, the faced each other just twice! Gasquet won with ease a 2006 meeting on carpet (!) and Wawrinka prevailed by the narrowest of margin on clay in 2013... Historically, Gasquet has been a lot more at ease on grass than the swiss, but the power Wawrinka can generate to bludgeon opponents off the court is really not that surface dependent... intriguing.

MURRAY vs POSPISIL: When he get his game going, Pospisil can be very dangerous, but Murray beat him three times, including twice this year.

FEDERER vs SIMON: When he emerged on the ATP Tour, it sounded Simon was Federer's kryptonite. But after two wins in 2008, the frenchman lost in the 5 following meetings. Still, three of these five Federer wins were extremely close matches. I guess it's Simon's consistency and very good defense that make things tough for Federer. Finding the right balance between patience and aggressiveness, between risk taking and percentage play, is a tough task against the frenchman when he is playing well. In theory, defending on grass is a lot tougher and should make things easier for Federer, but if he does not play a clean match, Simon will be ready to punish him for it.

localhost

Golden Knight of the Realm
So we will have Djokovic/Wawrinka and Murray/Federer. After many years, the only difference is Wawrinka instead of Nadal.

I guess in few years things will change, not because better players will reliably beat them but because they will be too old.
smile.png

Zzen

Potato del Grande
Wow, Anderson pissed away a match that should have been his. 2 double faults to get broken at 5-5 in the 5th after putting on a serving clinic over the course of 2 days.

Szlia

Yeah he had been very clutch (I mean, winning a breaker against Djokovic when you are lead 4 love?), but today he missed some chances early in the fifth (most notably a forehand down the line that he put in the double's alley when it had absolutely no business being close to any line at all, as anything down the line would have been a winner or put Djokovic under tremendous pressure) and then, leading 5-4, just when you thought the additional scoreboard pressure would do the trick and allow Anderson to win, Djokovic played his cleanest, most dominant service game of the match. I suspect that's what got Anderson mentally: he expected to have more opportunities at this juncture, but instead got less. Worse: he got none. Suddenly all the weight of Djokovic's aura fell on Anderson's shoulder. Djokovic: the guy who refuses to lose. The guy who plays his best when his back is against the wall. The seed of doubt got planted and Anderson shat the bed. A kind of self-fulfilling prophecy really.

Szlia

DAY 9: Ladies quarter finals and end of Djokovic vs Anderson(see above)

DAY 10: Gentlemen quarter finals(also the day I only saw a set and a half of Federer).

DJOKOVICtoo solid forCilic. Straight sets victory.

MURRAYtoo strong forPospisil. Straight sets victory.

FEDERERtoo good forSimon. Straight sets victory.

WAWRINKAtoo ... wait a second... too erratic to win? After the swiss went from a set down to two sets to one, I really thought it was a done deal, but not onlyGasquetforced a fifth set, but he managed to recover from getting roped back in after having served for the match in the fifth at 5-3. Better, he managed to outlast Wawrinka to win it 11-9 in the fifth. Color me surprised (just like Localhost). I thought Gasquet could win, especially considering how poorly Wawrinka played in the previous round, but I did not expected him to win with this kind of scenario. Supposedly, the quality in the first four sets was so-so, but it really picked up in the fifth.

SEEDICIDE WATCH:Wawrinka, duh.

NOTABLE FACTS: We had rain delays today and it was a lot cooler than the previous days. Notable.

SEMI-FINALS: Both Wawrinka and Gasquet have a pretty dismal record against Djokovic, but you feel that, on a good day, Wawrinka's power could allow him to bully Djokovic into submission. That seems a more dubious proposition with Gasquet. That being said, it sounds like grass does much good to the frenchman's game: instead of being content to play from 2 meters behind his baseline, on grass he has to be more offensive, he has to take the ball early and since he has the skills to do so, he end up playing his best tennis. It's a bit sad that he has to be forced to, but that's what it is. We never saw *that* Gasquet against Djokovic. I still think the lack of power will hurt him, but we'll see. As for the Federer vs Murray semi... Federer was certainly the most impressive of the two. I mean the guy faced three break points total and got broken once in 74 service games! It's true that he did not have the toughest of draws, but still. It will be an interesting match for sure.

localhost

Golden Knight of the Realm
OK I try again.

Federer / Djokovic final, Djokovic winning because Federer will suddenly lose concentration and give up without any good reason
smile.png

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
OK I try again.

Federer / Djokovic final, Djokovic winning because Federer will suddenly lose concentration and give up without any good reason
smile.png
He'll give it up for no good reason because he's old. Consistency is the first thing to go as you get older unless your Nadal and your body just fucks you over. It says something about Federer that he can be a consistent threat at his age. I'm praying he gets #18. The guy deserves it. He has to get past Murray(which he has a good chance at) and then Djoker which won't be easy at all.

Zzen

Potato del Grande
At least the Spaniard has a strong enough ground game to have a puncher's chance at beating whichever cunt-grunter wins the other semi. Probably won't happen though.

The Williams / Aza quarter was some of the highest level of play I have seen in a woman's match. Yet there were times when the crowd was laughing during points because the grunting was so contrived and over-the-top. It's a fucking joke. I wish they would start regulating the cunt-grunts within the current generation.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
The Williams / Aza quarter was some of the highest level of play I have seen in a woman's match. Yet there were times when the crowd was laughing during points because the grunting was so contrived and over-the-top. It's a fucking joke. I wish they would start regulating the cunt-grunts within the current generation.
Aza is notorious for obnoxious grunting. I think Williams was doing it over the top to mock her. She is usually somewhat more subdued.

Sharapova sounds like she is taking an orgasmic pounding every point. I can fap to that.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
It has been a while since I got out on the court myself, and watching Wimbeldon got me interested enough to fire off an order for a couple of racquets & (hopefully) get back out there. Then I discovered I already had a couple of new racquets hanging out in my closet. Oh well. Maybe I should dual wield.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
It has been a while since I got out on the court myself, and watching Wimbeldon got me interested enough to fire off an order for a couple of racquets & (hopefully) get back out there. Then I discovered I already had a couple of new racquets hanging out in my closet. Oh well. Maybe I should dual wield.
Move to St. Louis and become thesecondperson in this town to play tennis. I need someone to play against!

It's looking like the women's final will be another episode of Serena eating a little euro girl for breakfast again this year.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ha! Sorry I can't help with that one, AG. I'd get a beer with you at Urban Chestnut though, if I visit St Louis again. That place was good.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
There is only one public one in St. Louis as far as I am aware. It costs $1 a minute and must be reserved.

The other ones are either private property or are part of exorbitant country clubs that shoot peasants on sight.... like Wimbledon.

Anyway, great match is about to happen. I'm pumped! I like both of these guys. Federer is gonna win I think.

edit* ESPN has their shit fucked up. The sound is all wrong. It was like this yesterday when Aggy got spanked. All you can hear is the crowd and not the announcers. The McEnroe's are great analysts imo. Up there with Navratilova. They understand the matches to such a nuanced degree, I love it. Anyway, down with the man! ESPN is Satan.