Tennis

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This match has the feeling of inevitability to it. Fed is just serving the lights out while Murray is having to struggle tooth and nail in quite a few of his service games only to eventually collapse near the end of the set. Just don't see anything changing in this match either.

Sterling

El Presidente
Hingis in both Women's doubles finals and mixed finals. Also this Semifinal is kind of weird. Murray winning most of his service games but struggling and getting crushed on Fed's serve.

Araxen

I think Federer found a time machine. Murray is actually playing really well but Federer is just the better player today.

Merrith

I think Federer found a time machine. Murray is actually playing really well but Federer is just the better player today.
Murray isn't playing badly at all, but it has to be mentally fatiguing to watch Fed just cruise through his service games while you're battling tooth and nail more often than not to hold.

Araxen

Murray isn't playing badly at all, but it has to be mentally fatiguing to watch Fed just cruise through his service games while you're battling tooth and nail more often than not to hold.
That's basically Roger's entire Tennis career and got him the nickname Robot Federer. Robot Federer has come back to us!

Merrith

That's basically Roger's entire Tennis career and got him the nickname Robot Federer. Robot Federer has come back to us!
He's been serving quite well this tournament, better than I've seen in awhile. He's going to need it against Djoker in the final.

PKS

N00b
Fucking hell, Murray served like a boss and still lost. Well played Federer. Tight as hell. Just don't you fucking dare drop a single %'age point in the final.

Araxen

I can't be the only one anxiously awaiting Szila's review of today's matches! lol

Szlia

Well... I am the first to be disappointed but I was at a movie festival and I only saw the first 8 games of the Federer vs Murray match. On the up side I got to see the only break point Federer faced!

The only thing I can say is that I am slightly worried that he peaked too early. He played one of his best game ever as far as serving go (76% first serve, 84% points won behind it!) and also one of his cleanest (56 winners for 11 unforced errors!). It feels like a little less than that could have been enough against Murray and that such stats might be needed against Djokovic on Sunday (because Djokovic won in straight sets against Gasquet)

On a side note that might take center stage, there could be some rain on Sunday. That could mean a stop and go final or an indoor final. As Simon said after his rain interrupted match against the swiss, seeing how relaxed Federer is during the interruptions is downright scary (not sure he would be super relaxed if he happen to be behind in the final when the rain comes though). As far as indoor goes, it is supposed to help the offense (no disruption due to wind = easier to be aggressive), so either way, rain on Sunday should not be a problem for the swiss.

Zzen

Potato del Grande
One of the greatest tie breakers ever. These old English people are in ecstasy.

Szlia

I wonder what was the death toll for that 2nd set breaker. I know it almost got me. These guys should be sponsored by pacemaker manufacturers...

Zzen

Potato del Grande
I think you can go ahead and cap Rodger's majors @ 17 now. He came out playing at an incredibly high level and the conditions, crowd, etc. were as favorable as they could be for him. If he didn't win today, I don't see him winning a major again.

Szlia

I find it difficult to be that categorical. What happened today?

1st set: Federer was a break ahead thanks to a string of brilliant plays returning. He lost that lead immediately because he missed to many first serves and Djokovic played a brilliant passing shot. He had a couple set points on the Djokovic serve but both time the serb found great first serves that Federer could not return. Came the tie break, Federer had a bit of lost opportunities blues while Djokovic had the knife firmly between his teeth.

2nd set: Federer struggled mightily behind his 2nd delivery, but still managed to deal with the only break point he faced. Federer had opportunities at 2-2 (not enough 1st serves for Djokovic, but the serb saved a break point by hitting the line in a really and another with a one-two punch) and 5-5 (a very tense and long game where both player had ups and downs - Federer was in a rally on break point but made an uforced error). Through a magical feat of clutchiness he managed to go from 3-6 down to winning 12-10, so you can't even blame Federer for the missed opportunities during the set there.

3rd set: Federer saves a couple break point early, with a serve and volley that milk a passing error from Djokovic and an ace. He then had a break opportunity where he managed to get involved in a rally, but the serb forced Federer into error. The big regret is really on this 3rd game because the swiss lead 40-15, but then Djokovic did 2 great first serve return in a row followed by a difficult drop volley for a winner to get a break point, but a somewhat framed return messed with Federer's timing, missing long a seemingly easy 1-2 punch put-away. And after the rain delay, Federer asked the question at 30-30 on the Djokovic serve with a decent chip & charge, but the serb was up to the task. After that, only 2 points were won against the servers in 5 games.

4th set: Federer loses his serve because Djokovic strings 4 insane returns (3 on first serves). The swiss tries to put pressure on Djokovic in a couple of service games, but the World N?1 found a great passing shot here, a couple great first serve there and after recovering from 0-30 at 4-3, the serb found another string of great returns that won him a 2nd break and the match.

So really, Federer did not do much wrong today. He did not serve as well as he could have. He made significantly more unforced errors when involved in rallies during the final than he did during the rest of the tournament, which probably cost him some additional opportunities, but even if he almost lost in straight sets, he was not that far from winning in straight sets (set points in the first, won the second, break point in the third).

I think Federer's problem today was that it's very difficult for him to go to the net once a rally is engaged, because Djokovic maintains great depth of shot and is very good at producing passing shots, even when under a lot of pressure. In fact, we saw several time Federer attacking, moving slightly up the court and then tracking back when it seemed Djokovic would be on too good a position to attempt a passing shot. Also, in the rallies, it's a bit too easy for Djokovic to play deep shots with a lot of volume to the Federer backhand, knowing that it's very difficult for the swiss, even on grass, to be aggressive on these balls (just the once, Federer produced an insane combination of a short slice down the line followed by a vicious back hand cross court passing shot, but Djokovic can live with that happening once). Even if Federer tries to run around his backhand, anything that is not a winning shot allows the serb to counter into the open court, forcing the swiss to run and defend in his forhand corner, which, if done well enough, will probably mean a forced error or a sliced squash-like shot. Djokovic even managed to do that off backhands down the line from Federer.

Obviously, the more time passes, the less opportunities Federer will have to win a 18th title, but when you see the ease with which he reached the final these two weeks and the type of match Djokovic had to play to win, I really find it difficult to believe he will no longer be in the conversation in a near future, and, as long as he is in the conversation, he has a chance of lifting the trophy.

PS: Hingis and Paes crushed Babos and Peya in the mixed double final (1 and 1). Paes was on fire. It was so ridiculous that by the end even the opponents were laughing in disbelief.

Zzen

Potato del Grande
It is certainly possible, I just don't see it happening. Agassi made his last final in a major 35, Federer is 34. He is still the 2nd ranked player in the world, but father time is undefeated. At some point the chances will dry up, and I don't know if he will see a better one than he did today.

BG said it well today, it doesn't seem like Federer can beat 2 of the big 4 in best of 5 matches to win a major. It feel likes Djoker is about to go on a run where he piles up a handful of majors in the next couple years.

Szlia

To put things into perspective, if you change the outcome of a grand total of 3 points in the whole match, Federer wins in straight sets (set point in the first set, break point in the third, game point in the third), so making definitive conclusions based on a close match where both had opportunities seems a bit foolish to me! It's certain that being a bit lucky with the draw cannot hurt, but I am not even sure it is needed, as both Nadal and Murray were in his half at Wimbledon and he still reached the final and had chances in it.

Well... US Open next!