TERA

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ha. I used those sliders on a human and high elf. Have to say the max setting looks deformed, its really funny (though the +3 setting on a high elf wearing the "v-neck" swimsuit looks good). Now, the +1 / +2 setting looks great, too bad those settings can't be made to work on all armors.

Parallel45

Silver Knight of the Realm
New class was released in KTera. Elin-Kratos!

On a side note, why the fuck haven't any new MMOs copied this combat system yet?

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
blade and soul is a semi-action combat system with lock-on. not a tab system like most of recent MMOs. i believe wildstar is sort of action combat but with WoW clone everything else. i think blade and soul has a open world pvp and it looked pretty fucking awesome.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Depends on how Korean it is. That new class looks amazing. Animations and effects are top notch. Shame Wildstar has nothing like that at all.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Blade & Soul is far superior to Tera. The combat makes Tera seem rather stale, its very reactive. You can play in the Chinese OBT which has been going on for a month now, though to be honest, it is somewhat of a hassle to start playing. There is an English patch out for it that translates all the basic stuff (menu's, stats, maps), enough so that you can play the game since its just like other MMO's. If you liked combat in Tera, you will enjoy B&S combat, just get used to press the F key a lot.

Biggest drawback is that the servers are in China, so your latency could be high. Here in Iowa I get 200-210, which makes the game very playable, but I have to use a VPN. The Chinese version of B&S doesn't like Windows 8/8.1 though.

edit: As for open world PvP. Yes and no. The game has 2 main Factions, and you have to join one in order to join any Guild. Each Faction has an outfit, when you wear it you are a target for anyone of the other Faction at anytime...even in towns someone can come up and gank you while you're using your bank or selling stuff. There is one max lvl area with many daily quests that make you wear your Faction outfit, this is where you'll get into big brawls, as some of the quests have you kill certain npcs in the opposing Factions camp. You will need to reach a certain Faction Rank in order to gain two very useful skills once you hit the lvl cap; the ability to run up / across walls, and permanent increase to your Stamina (which allows you to sprint longer). Fun times really. There are also 1v1 and 3v3 arenas that you can join at anytime and earn rank / items

There are also 4 other sets of minor Factions, you'll get thier outfits via quests or killing that certain Faction. These are spread out across the gameworld, from the lowbie areas to the max lvl areas. There are certain outfits you can get only by wearing a Faction suit and killing npc's of the opposing Faction to spawn a boss (have to kill that boss many times to get tokens to buy the special outfit).

Parallel45

Silver Knight of the Realm
Blade and soul does seem promising, but who knows when it will make it over to the west. I'm curious to see how the semi-lock on system works.

Tera does have a few lock on skills but it is still largely a collision/hitbox based. I still wish some new MMO would copy it. It would have been perfect for something like TSO.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Blade and soul does seem promising, but who knows when it will make it over to the west. I'm curious to see how the semi-lock on system works.

Tera does have a few lock on skills but it is still largely a collision/hitbox based. I still wish some new MMO would copy it. It would have been perfect for something like TSO.
The lock-on system is really nothing more than a target indicator showing you what you are aiming at currently, you can change how it works a little though. If you have three mobs in front of you, but one has some sort of debuff on it, you can set the reticule to "lock" on that mob before the others. It also acts as a range indicator for skills, if you see a mob you are aiming at light up, then you know its in range of your skills.

Combat just feels more dynamic, classes have many skills that are reactive to what you do, or another player does or what a mob does. Like my Destroyer will leap to a mob, which stuns it (and everything around it), which triggers skill that lets me launch it into the air, which triggers a skill that allows me to jump up in the air and pile drive it into the ground, which stuns it again, and that allows me to grab it in a choke hold to either punch it, slam it down into the ground, hook it with my axe and toss it far away, twirl around with it to hit anything around me with its body, or launch it back up into the air again (my pile drive skill can reset on a crit).

Then you can combo off what other players do to mobs, and this is important in dungeons when you want to stop a boss from using a skill. If another player uses some sort of "prep" skill on the boss, you will see a brief flash of color around the boss (color denotes the type of skill..stun/weaken/knockdown), which will allow you to use a follow-up skill to either stun/knockdown the boss. You can setup the UI so that you get a big prompt in the middle of the screen telling you what skill to use to finish the combo (either press its hotkey or spacebar). Once you get used to the control setup, combat flows really well

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The lock-on system is really nothing more than a target indicator showing you what you are aiming at currently, you can change how it works a little though. If you have three mobs in front of you, but one has some sort of debuff on it, you can set the reticule to "lock" on that mob before the others. It also acts as a range indicator for skills, if you see a mob you are aiming at light up, then you know its in range of your skills.

Combat just feels more dynamic, classes have many skills that are reactive to what you do, or another player does or what a mob does. Like my Destroyer will leap to a mob, which stuns it (and everything around it), which triggers skill that lets me launch it into the air, which triggers a skill that allows me to jump up in the air and pile drive it into the ground, which stuns it again, and that allows me to grab it in a choke hold to either punch it, slam it down into the ground, hook it with my axe and toss it far away, twirl around with it to hit anything around me with its body, or launch it back up into the air again (my pile drive skill can reset on a crit).

Then you can combo off what other players do to mobs, and this is important in dungeons when you want to stop a boss from using a skill. If another player uses some sort of "prep" skill on the boss, you will see a brief flash of color around the boss (color denotes the type of skill..stun/weaken/knockdown), which will allow you to use a follow-up skill to either stun/knockdown the boss. You can setup the UI so that you get a big prompt in the middle of the screen telling you what skill to use to finish the combo (either press its hotkey or spacebar). Once you get used to the control setup, combat flows really well
Sounds fun, but I wont hold my breathe waiting for it. Companies are probably very wary of ports because they just haven't done well. Combat only helps so much also, rest of the game needs to be fleshed out also(where tera failed for the most part at launch).

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea, it won't be released over here until NCSoft makes some money off WildStar. Leveling a character to 45 (lvl cap in China) was pretty fast, and fun (new game, fun combat, quick dungeons). Not sure what "endgame" would be in Blade & Soul, at least in China. Before the content patch a couple days ago, once you hit 45, you just did the most rewarding dailies, ran the top 9 dungeons (instant queues since there isn't a holy trinity) to earn money so you could afford maxing out your gear. There is crafting, which is pretty simple and offers useful items (some will earn nice money). Worth playing if you get a chance too.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I didn't know Blade and Soul was F2P in China, installed it yesterday. I managed to get to 19 without understanding a single word, quest, spells, UI. Game is fun, makes wish even more that it was released in English. I like it better than TERA so far.

Kaljin

N00b
I want to play it but it's NCSoft/The people who killed CoX; I just have a hard time trusting this publisher even if I'm currently playing GW2 for whatever reason (I blame it on boredom) there is really nothing that convinces me I should try it even with friends that can hook me up with the asian/china version.

I tend to trust Oloh on most korean bound MMO's and as "purty" as this looks it just doesn't have that entincement feel to it - it could be various thing(s) to it.

I will give props to the entire animation/graphics crew tho' kudos for a visually defined "game"
smile.png

PS: I play Tera for my Lancer ass/armor - wtg on smashing mobs that make the buttocks purr.