Terminator 2 3D (2017)

Goatface

i would never go back to my local AMC
last time i went movie started 45mins after showtime
30 solid mins of trailers then another 15 of bs loby food and cellphone rules

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
We can all pretty much agree that T3 was complete garbage, and Genisys fucked itself by giving away the bad guy in the previews. Not that that would have made it any better, given they just regurgitated T2 (poorly). Also, fuck Matt Smith. He sucks at everything outside Dr. Who. And Khaleesi sucked as Sarah. John Connor was decent, and the only redeeming quality was the crazy JK Simmons character. Lastly, Jai Courtney needs to get fucked. He's absolute trash. That being said, I'm still curious to see what kind of travesty the next film in the series will be.

I actually really liked Genisys right up until they went into the future and we got the John is the bad guy reveal, but I'm hooked whenever time travel causes events to play out differently. I actually don't watch much TV so the John is the bad guy reveal wasn't spoiled for me, but it still fucking sucked.

Sperging out about exactly how time travel works in the Terminator universe is always fun though.

People say that Terminator is a predestination paradox, but I don't think that's actually true. The events of the first movie created a new timeline based on Dyson's research of the arm and the chip, but whatever accelerated advances in robotics/computers come about as a result of that research (presumably this is why a T-1000 is sent back instead of another T-800, T-1000s did not exist in the original timeline)are not enough to keep Skynet from losing, which is why it sends the T-1000 in T2. Destroying the arm and chip along with Dyson's research brought them back to a timeline more or less congruent with the timeline in the first movie.

The Sarah Connor Chronicles are an alternate post-T2 future that happened in place of the events of T3. The only way to fit make the show compatible with the primary timeline is if you assume that the show was the original post-T2 continuity, and some unknown time travel event changed things to cause the events of the show to never happen, and we get the T3 timeline instead.

Since Skynet still loses in this timeline and it no longer knows how to find John, we get the events of T3 where it sends the TX back to try and kill the people who serve as his lieutenants in the resistance. The existence of the TX suggests that whatever changes to the timeline caused by the events of T2 gave Skynet extra time before it was defeated by the resistance, allowing it to develop the TX in the first place. The TX actually succeeds in killing several of the targets before it gets distracted by the discovery of John. Skynet can't be stopped, goes online, and Judgement Day happens. John being in a high security bunker with access to military communications creates a new timeline where he is able to build a stronger and more sophisticated resistance, which is why you see them having submarines and A-10s in Salvation.

Salvation, being already set in the future, can't affect things much, but it does begin to suggest that time is largely immutable. Due to the events of T3, the resistance is much farther along in the fight against Skynet, since Skynet hasn't even rolled out the T-800s yet. Skynet has one last chance to stop John in the past by killing Kyle Reese before he can be sent back in time, but through a series of completely implausible events, Kyle is rescued and John survives having his heart kerploded. So it seems that no matter what happens, Skynet is incapable of preventing John from uniting the resistance and leading the remains of the human race to victory. If this is true, then it's also completely impossible to stop Skynet and Judgement Day in the first place.

At some point off-screen Skynet gets the incredibly obvious idea to send a terminator farther back in time, instead of continually sending them to a time where the Connors were already aware of the existence of time traveling killer robots. Implausibly, someone discovers Skynet's plan and sends another terminator back to protect child Sarah, again suggesting the general immutability of time. This creates a timeline roughly congruent to the original Terminator and now the events of all the other Terminators belong to branch timelines. It does seem that Skynet lasts even longer in this new timeline than it did in the T3 timeline, since it is able to develop the nano-terminator and infect John. It sends the Johninator back in time to facilitate its own creation, but that seems to have been largely pointless since the creation of Skynet is inevitable.

Last edited:

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I actually really liked Genisys right up until they went into the future and we got the John is the bad guy reveal, but I'm hooked whenever time travel causes events to play out differently. I actually don't watch much TV so the John is the bad guy reveal wasn't spoiled for me, but it still fucking sucked.

Sperging out about exactly how time travel works in the Terminator universe is always fun though.

People say that Terminator is a predestination paradox, but I don't think that's actually true. The events of the first movie created a new timeline based on Dyson's research of the arm and the chip, but whatever accelerated advances in robotics/computers come about as a result of that research (presumably this is why a T-1000 is sent back instead of another T-800, T-1000s did not exist in the original timeline)are not enough to keep Skynet from losing, which is why it sends the T-1000 in T2. Destroying the arm and chip along with Dyson's research brought them back to a timeline more or less congruent with the timeline in the first movie.

The Sarah Connor Chronicles are an alternate post-T2 future that happened in place of the events of T3. The only way to fit make the show compatible with the primary timeline is if you assume that the show was the original post-T2 continuity, and some unknown time travel event changed things to cause the events of the show to never happen, and we get the T3 timeline instead.

Since Skynet still loses in this timeline and it no longer knows how to find John, we get the events of T3 where it sends the TX back to try and kill the people who serve as his lieutenants in the resistance. The existence of the TX suggests that whatever changes to the timeline caused by the events of T2 gave Skynet extra time before it was defeated by the resistance, allowing it to develop the TX in the first place. The TX actually succeeds in killing several of the targets before it gets distracted by the discovery of John. Skynet can't be stopped, goes online, and Judgement Day happens. John being in a high security bunker with access to military communications creates a new timeline where he is able to build a stronger and more sophisticated resistance, which is why you see them having submarines and A-10s in Salvation.

Salvation, being already set in the future, can't affect things much, but it does begin to suggest that time is largely immutable. Due to the events of T3, the resistance is much farther along in the fight against Skynet, since Skynet hasn't even rolled out the T-800s yet. Skynet has one last chance to stop John in the past by killing Kyle Reese before he can be sent back in time, but through a series of completely implausible events, Kyle is rescued and John survives having his heart kerploded. So it seems that no matter what happens, Skynet is incapable of preventing John from uniting the resistance and leading the remains of the human race to victory. If this is true, then it's also completely impossible to stop Skynet and Judgement Day in the first place.

At some point off-screen Skynet gets the incredibly obvious idea to send a terminator farther back in time, instead of continually sending them to a time where the Connors were already aware of the existence of time traveling killer robots. Implausibly, someone discovers Skynet's plan and sends another terminator back to protect child Sarah, again suggesting the general immutability of time. This creates a timeline roughly congruent to the original Terminator and now the events of all the other Terminators belong to branch timelines. It does seem that Skynet lasts even longer in this new timeline than it did in the T3 timeline, since it is able to develop the nano-terminator and infect John. It sends the Johninator back in time to facilitate its own creation, but that seems to have been largely pointless since the creation of Skynet is inevitable.

The thought of it being a paradox, is because the robots sending themselves back, creates and destroys them, regardless of how many times, or how many ways they do it. It always ends up "creating themselves", and someone going back to stop them. TSCC ended with Sarah and John supposedly traveling back to the 50's, which is where Skynet had supposedly planted several Terminators while they were experimenting with time travel (robots sent back, and instead of murdering everyone, they're stupid robots that wait, because killing everyone isn't their objective. There was the one in the wall that was dormant, waiting to activate. How John and Sarah eventually made it back to the future (modern time) was never explained, because it was canceled. Supposedly there was more time travel hopping planned, ala the 12 Monkeys TV series, but we all saw how chaotic that one ended up being. T1, T2, T3, all involve Terminators being sent back at different times. TSCC is post T2, but then deals with additional Terminators being sent back before T3 even happens. Genisys is the same time period as T2, but overwrites itself somehow, with Jai Courtney telling his younger self the "Genisys is Skynet" shenanigans. Will "T5" be post Genisys, modern timeline, or back to the future again, where it "left off"...

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The thought of it being a paradox, is because the robots sending themselves back, creates and destroys them, regardless of how many times, or how many ways they do it. It always ends up "creating themselves", and someone going back to stop them. TSCC ended with Sarah and John supposedly traveling back to the 50's, which is where Skynet had supposedly planted several Terminators while they were experimenting with time travel (robots sent back, and instead of murdering everyone, they're stupid robots that wait, because killing everyone isn't their objective. There was the one in the wall that was dormant, waiting to activate. How John and Sarah eventually made it back to the future (modern time) was never explained, because it was canceled. Supposedly there was more time travel hopping planned, ala the 12 Monkeys TV series, but we all saw how chaotic that one ended up being. T1, T2, T3, all involve Terminators being sent back at different times. TSCC is post T2, but then deals with additional Terminators being sent back before T3 even happens. Genisys is the same time period as T2, but overwrites itself somehow, with Jai Courtney telling his younger self the "Genisys is Skynet" shenanigans. Will "T5" be post Genisys, modern timeline, or back to the future again, where it "left off"...

Except they aren't creating themselves except maybe in the pre-T2 timeline (before chip/arm/research were destroyed) and in Genisys where Skynet sends nano-Connor back to facilitate its own creation, which is why I say it isn't a paradox. Mankind clearly created Skynet without the aid of future tech in the original timeline.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Well, I'm sad that I didn't have the opportunity to see T2 in theaters again, but... This makes it so much better.

Z0UyCSc.png

spronk

FPS noob
man Cameron seems super salty about everyone hailing all these new woman focused movies and stuff and everyone forgetting about Alien and Terminator

still its cool Hamilton is back, she had a small part in the Syfy show Defiance and was great in it. Probably more believable at her age as an action star than Daenerys Targaryen

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I remember when they had Lena Headey playing Sarah on the TV show, wonder how she felt about Daeny getting the movie role after her.

Sterling

El Presidente
I remember when they had Lena Headey playing Sarah on the TV show, wonder how she felt about Daeny getting the movie role after her.
Show was much better than that abortion of a movie. I thought she was actually pretty damn good on it.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I just watched the 3D remake, and I gotta say, it was fucking great.

I watched it on my LG OLED 4k 3D tv, and... wow. Stunning visuals. Even after all these years. And the 3D was done well. Not sure how they actually did it, but everything had depth. Very good to re-watch. My first time seeing it since it first came out in theaters all those years ago. My parents never wanted to buy the VHS.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Can confirm Terminator 2 4k is amazing as well. The Hasta La Vista scene is gorgeous.

If you guys didn’t get to see the Terminator 2 3D experience at Universal Studios Orlando or Hollywood you missed out. It was truly something special and still my favorite park “ride” of all time.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
The regular BD Skynet edition with DTS-HD 5.1 ES audio is a pretty solid copy, though the audio is disturbingly clean while the picture, admittedly great, clearly isn't the best they could produce. I'm curious about the 4K and remastering, as what I've read it has issues with digital noise reduction causing graininess (an issue with a lot of remastered editions), but the audio appears to be on par or better. If they've cleaned it up more than the Skynet copy, fuck me, I might go for it (they've released a half dozen versions of this movie, of which I've owned most).

I don't have a 3D TV, but that sounds interesting. It's not often a 3D remaster holds up. Though if you hadn't watched it since the VHS, good lord, lol...

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I would put the 3D from this movie on par with the original Avatar. It looked very "real". Gave lots of depth. Nothing appeared to stick out as if lifted post production, except for the beginning when Arnold is stealing the motorcycle. He walks behind a wooden pole that is popping out of the screen the entire time it's on frame. I realize that it really was that close based off the overall depth of the scene, but it stood out none the less.

EDIT: Ok, maybe he didn't walk behind it, but it definitely sticks out in 3D.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
As a kid I had a daytime television PG-13 cut of T2 and I watched it religiously. I also remember watching all those special effect specials on TV that would show how the scenes were filmed.

I also didn't see the first Terminator until years later, which made me wonder if people didn't know if Arnold was to be a good guy in T2 when it came out. Was that shit already spoiled before the film came out?