Terminator Genisys (2015)

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
That's kind of what I figured.

But aren't we also implying that Arnold blew up her house/mother just to save her? Not enough details on that event.

One nitpick, in T3 we had the fembot converting Arnold back. And in this one Asian T1000 re-activated the broken T800. How come robot John Connor didn't just do that? And the cuts away from Arnold engaging him but not showing the aftermath or how he got away or if John ran away was a bit head scratching. Was it supposed to instill a bit of questioning that maybe he had been subverted? Because they'd start a fight then cutscene to Kyle and Sarah with Arnold showing up later just fine and no John chasing them.

I still liked it, I have a potato in my head for a brain.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
That's kind of what I figured.

But aren't we also implying that Arnold blew up her house/mother just to save her? Not enough details on that event.

One nitpick, in T3 we had the fembot converting Arnold back. And in this one Asian T1000 re-activated the broken T800. How come robot John Connor didn't just do that? And the cuts away from Arnold engaging him but not showing the aftermath or how he got away or if John ran away was a bit head scratching. Was it supposed to instill a bit of questioning that maybe he had been subverted? Because they'd start a fight then cutscene to Kyle and Sarah with Arnold showing up later just fine and no John chasing them.

I still liked it, I have a potato in my head for a brain.
Well, the point of that scene where the T-1000 reactivates a "dead" T-800 was mostly meant to foreshadow the resurrection of Guardian at the end after he gets dumped into the vat of polymimetic alloy. I think they didn't want to re-use the sideplot of subverted T-800 after T3. That's one thing I gotta give this movie, they tried to break some new ground while still trying to give homage to the older good ones.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
It's a setup movie. First in a new trilogy. I'm pretty sure every one of those questions is meant to be asked by the audience.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The impression I got is that John Conner was willingly working with skynet for some reason, which I assume will be explored in sequels. Both he and skynet seemed somewhat surprised at Pops being present and wondering who had sent him.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Two words:

Synthesis Ending.

Pretty sure they're going with the whole 'Machines have feelings too' route. There's a second AI out there now, I think. I also think Arnold will do a 180 in the next film and be the villain again.

I even got that Mass Effect vibe from the damn holograms towards the end :/ Really did like this film though. Going to watch it again before it hits bluray.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I liked the opening act in 1984 quite a lot but once Kyle and Sara started having dialogue together the whole movie tanked. The effects are good, the action set pieces are good, but they have no chemistry and the writing is just godawful. Way too much Terminator 3 in this mess.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
When John Connor is working for or with Skynet, the whole purpose of the human race in the Terminator saga is thrown out of the window.
So....yeah, this movie is pretty dumb.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
When John Connor is working for or with Skynet, the whole purpose of the human race in the Terminator saga is thrown out of the window.
So....yeah, this movie is pretty dumb.
There was never a chance you were going to enjoy this movie anyway.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Well, he's sorta right in that a John Conner terminator should pretty much be game over and he should have wiped his ass with Khaleesi & friends. I mean, Christ, he's Jesus Christ.

But at least the tech that allowed Skynet to assimilate JC had an achilles heel to exploit. Albeit a fairly retarded one.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Is that what Republicans have been thinking the entire time these last 7 years?

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I really enjoyed it. It was a fun ride with some nice nostalgic. Needed some more Matt Smith!

I hope they get enough momentum to make the next one. It only made $27mm on opening weekend -(

Jait

Molten Core Raider
It only made $27mm on opening weekend -(
Those are Domestic actuals. It made quite a bit more actually. Well over 100m already.

Terminator: Genisys (2015) - Box Office Mojo

edit: Don't get me wrong. That's a flop, I'm sure they expected 80m+ in the US. I think the USA girls world cup may have affected it. There was only 1.5m difference between #3 and #1 this weekend. All totals were pretty low it seems. /shrug

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Opening on a Tuesday night leading into july 4th weekend didn't help their case.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The wife and I see movies at the Cineopolis near us (nice theater, serves drinks and dinner) and the place was pretty full on Wednesday night when we went. I liked the movie, but its not something I would buy on Blueray. I put it on par with the first one, but only because the first one is painfully dated. Also...

I think John was not taken over, per se. He seemed to have several chances to kill Sarah and Kyle and to be deliberately avoiding it, if possible, while mainly just trying to protect skynet. I think he is allied with Skynet of his own free will for reasons not yet fully known. If the movie flopped, I hope the writer reveals where he intended to go with that.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I put it on par with the first one, but only because the first one is painfully dated.
rrr_img_102586.jpg

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Dude, it was a classic in its day, but come on. All that 80s keyboard music, the overdone dialog, the old school car with the screen in the background shot.... it just has not aged particularly well. T2 has some of the same issues, but it remains the best of the movies.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Half in the Bag Review

"This movie is like a nice shiny object you dangle in front of a cat"

"Are we still talking about this movie? We've talked about this movie more than the writers did!"

Doubt I'll see this, maybe pirate it if I get really bored and have some ratio to kill.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
"Fucking Bill and Ted used their time machine much more efficiently." LOL

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I really enjoyed it. It was a fun ride with some nice nostalgic. Needed some more Matt Smith!

I hope they get enough momentum to make the next one. It only made $27mm on opening weekend -(
I'm shocked it made that much. A 75 year old terminator with a shitty new plot twist. This movie tanking had nothing to do with Women's World Cup or 4th of July. Most people are just smart enough to stay away from an on screen abortion.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I enjoyed parts of the movie a lot, other parts were poorly put together. I didn't actually remember the poster where it spoils John as the new brand of Terminator, but it still wasn't a surprise because he was obviously some kind of villain as soon as he showed back up. The only surprise was that he was some crazy nanite terminator that actually used to be John, as opposed to being some random impostor. I love the time travel and paradox shit, I could spend hours and hours just talking about that alone. Most everything else was meh. I thought Jai Courtney and Emilia Clarke were passable, but they didn't really have chemistry like Michael Biehn and Linda Hamilton did, which resulted in most of their dialogue being kinda mediocre. But Emilia Clarke didn't stand out as being particularly bad like some people are saying.

I was half expecting them to do a full on grimdark ending where Kyle shoots Sarah in the head so that the T-800 can activate the detonator, but obviously that's not something they can do in a PG13 movie, and it kinda leaves them high and dry for sequels. Definitely noticed the PG13 rating though, just like with Salvation. All the grit of the first two is completely gone, replaced with generic forgettable action scenes, and unlike 3 it doesn't even have boobs in it.