Terminator: Resistance

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
FPS shooter came out this week, 9/10 on Steam so far. Didnt see a thread yet. ANyone tried it?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
This is, against all odds, getting good reviews. It has an encyclopedic variety of machines from the Cameron T1/T2 version of the future war, with the weapons leading up to the iconic purple lasers. That alone means it just needs to be a passably good FPS for fans of T1/T2 to be all over this.

I did an Amazon preorder for the PS4 version and it says December 10th for the release. It's also full price instead of $40. Maybe I should just grab the Steam version if it's already out.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
This is, against all odds, getting good reviews. It has an encyclopedic variety of machines from the Cameron T1/T2 version of the future war, with the weapons leading up to the iconic purple lasers. That alone means it just needs to be a passably good FPS for fans of T1/T2 to be all over this.

I did an Amazon preorder for the PS4 version and it says December 10th for the release. It's also full price instead of $40. Maybe I should just grab the Steam version if it's already out.

Thats what Im saying. Theres never been a good terminator game. This might be the first one ever.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
ANYWAYS I BOUGHT IT

5 more minutes until it finishes downloading. Also full controller support.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i played a little of it. some of the earlier missions are kind of cool when the t800's show up. there are some minor enemies (spider bots, little mini-tank turrets) that you can take out with standard weapons, but the t800's are immune to actual bullets. it's a cool addition because when they show up, you don't have access to energy weapons so you have to hide from them.

except the AI is pretty rudimentary so even though it's a little intense as soon as they show up, all it takes is patience to get passed them. it's getting high reviews i think, because it gets a lot of details right about the post judgement day terminator, and it's a functional fps. this is the video game equivalent to a popcorn flick. compared to other games at the same price point it's really not good. but it's enjoyable for what it is.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Thats what Im saying. Theres never been a good terminator game. This might be the first one ever.

This reminded me of the t2 game that was released on sega. I could not beat the level where you ride the motorcycle even though I tried hundreds of times. Going back and looking at this video

shows how dog shit this game really was.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Future Shock was good for its time;

Some other good Terminator games:

Dawn of Fate for the PS2 plays decently enough. It has a boss fight with a T-800 infiltrator with you having inadequate weapons for it, just like this new game does.

T2: The Arcade Game (in an actual arcade) is probably my favorite. It had a few console ports that tried, but you can't beat playing it with light guns at an arcade cabinet.

For a game that isn't officially Terminator while being a SICK homage to the first two movies (and a lot of other movies from the era), check out Far Cry: Blood Dragon. It's a standalone DLC game so you don't need anything else, just buy it off your store of choice digitally. Michael Biehn voices the main character. I can't recommend this game enough. The only downside is that I don't think it's on any modern systems so you might have to settle for PS3-era visuals. I've got it on PS3 myself.

Lastly, there isn't much information on it online, but Terminator Salvation (Arcade version) is a completely different game from the console Terminator Salvation game. Uses the same enemies/assets but it's an on-rails lightgun shooter with an actual light gun. It also has Ground-HKs which are weirdly absent from the console TS game. It's a great modern follow-up to T2: The Arcade Game if you like light gun gameplay and can find it anywhere (it's becoming very hard to find an arcade with it). If you happen to be in London, the arcade under the London Eye has it. So does Regal Cinema next to Fenway Park in Boston, and a few arcades in NYC.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
This reminded me of the t2 game that was released on sega. I could not beat the level where you ride the motorcycle even though I tried hundreds of times. Going back and looking at this video

shows how dog shit this game really was.

Wow, that looks horrible. I was so into T2 as a kid that I would have probably tried hundreds of times too.

Another good one is Terminator on the Sega CD, which has great music and has a lot of future war gameplay in the first half:

Notice how all of the decent Terminator games take place in the future war, or largely in it? It's too bad we never got a movie about it, and now that future has been erased by the new movie so we never will. Genisys has a lot of future war and gives us our best look at the 2029 stuff IMO, so at least there's that plus the flash-forwards in the first three movies. I wish Salvation had taken place in 2029 instead of 2018. I'm sure they were heading there with the sequels to it if it had been a trilogy as planned.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This game is getting shat on by the baristas ...oh shit I mean game journalists but has a 9/10 player review.

“Game is mindless killing” - Soy Boy IGN

spronk spronk I take one for the team in fast food thread it’s time you do the same for us. Let me know

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I estimate I played through about half of the game (im in downtown LA looking for code readers), so im qualified to give half a review.

Its a basic FPS, scavenging, crafting type of shooter. Kinda similar to some of the new Tomb Raiders but with a lot less open world play. There are some scripted sequences that play out like Call of Duty, you and your squad get ambushed by some SKynet forces and you have to shoot your way through 6-12 areas. The crafting is pretty limited, the number of quests is also very limited, number of skills is pretty limited, number of weapons is pretty limited.

You cannot travel from area to area ala Tomb Raider. Tthe game reuses the same level multiple times and maybe changes it slightly, i.e. your first mission in downtown LA is a rescue mission and a firefight during daytime, your second mission is an infiltration during night time in same level.

Not sure why after nuclear holocaust there is still sunshine and greenery everywhere (Hollywood Hills) as opposed to constant darkness. They really should have set this game 24/7 at nightime to mimic the opening sequence of T1 and T2 it would have been much more atmospheric.

There is also a bunch of bullshit about him saving a little boy and playing therapist to half a dozen scavengers/survivors. BTW, when Baron asks you if you want to fuck her in the bunker, dont do it.

Anyways, if this game didnt have you lighting up Terminators with a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range - it would be a rental at best

Best comparison I can give is a shittier Deus Ex game with a Terminator IP

Last edited:

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Theres never been a good terminator game.
T2: The Arcade Game (in an actual arcade) is probably my favorite. It had a few console ports that tried, but you can't beat playing it with light guns at an arcade cabinet.
Man, this game was the fucking shit. I didn't have the pleasure of playing it in the arcade, since I was about 4 years old.. assuming I had this game on release in 1992 I was 5.. I atleast had the light gun, the menacer to go with it. It was definitely in my top 5 games played amongst games like Streets of Rage, and Contra Hardcorps.
1574119542843.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Last Terminator game i played was on gameboy, also one of the few gameboy games i beat back then.