Texas this summer

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Do you live in texas? If you answer yes to this, I'll be completely horrified. That list of food recommendations is very cringe. I'll start off with the most obvious. Rudy's sucks, pls no.

As for my dude ranch experience, never been to one with a small group. Every time it's been very large groups with 100+ people. It's good if you like the casual southern picnic atmosphere, but it might be weird with a smaller group.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Do you live in texas? If you answer yes to this, I'll be completely horrified. That list of food recommendations is very cringe. I'll start off with the most obvious. Rudy's sucks, pls no.

As for my dude ranch experience, never been to one with a small group. Every time it's been very large groups with 100+ people. It's good if you like the casual southern picnic atmosphere, but it might be weird with a smaller group.

Yes, I live in Texas, and the Rudy's in Round Rock and next to Lake Travis are both great (or at least were, 10 years ago). I like a spicy low sugar very vinegary BBQ sauce. I have never had Rudy's outside of Austin, and everyone I have talked to that hates them, had them outside of Austin.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Yes, I live in Texas, and the Rudy's in Round Rock and next to Lake Travis are both great (or at least were, 10 years ago). I like a spicy low sugar very vinegary BBQ sauce. I have never had Rudy's outside of Austin, and everyone I have talked to that hates them, had them outside of Austin.
Bless your heart.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Bless your heart.

If you want to recommend food places, go for it. I mostly went with places that had multiple locations with reasonable expectations. There is no point listing some mom and pop Italian/Tex-Mex/Steak places that are in the burbs, far away from anywhere a tourist might be.

If I need to make it more clear on The Oasis, you go there for the view, not the food.

Don't be talking shit about Babes though!

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Heim BBQ in Ft Worth is excellent, I think it's actually better than Pecan Lodge in Dallas, and almost as good as any in Austin!

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm not a Texas aficionado by any means, but I really liked the BBQ at Terry Black's in Austin. Everything was really good. And we ordered almost every single thing.

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
Here's the thing about BBQ, it's all(almost) good. The secret is out, low and slow. It's harder to find bad BBQ than good. People's opinions are more based on if they like vinegar in the sauce or not, they just don't realize this fact

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I'm not a Texas aficionado by any means, but I really liked the BBQ at Terry Black's in Austin. Everything was really good. And we ordered almost every single thing.
Thing about texas is there's a shitload of mom and pop BBQ places that are A+. Can point to pretty much any spot in the triangle area and have one for sure. Consider looking for tex-mex bbq joints too and give one of those a try. It's a thing pretty unique to texas. To give you an idea, just picked out literally the first one I saw on the map. And of course, take reviews into accounts. People aint afraid to review bomb even decent bbq in texas.

1619890120962.png
wooop.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Beware of bbq in Dallas. We have cattleack and pecan lodge. Most everything else tops out at mediocre. (Lots of mediocre restaurants is a bit of theme in Dallas)

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Thing about Texas is, its about the same size as France: Hey Guys, I am going to France, what are some good restaurants?

Will second most of the recommendations here except Rudy's which admittedly I haven't been to a long time. Everyone raves about Buckee's as the gas station truck stop to go to but I have never been to one. Natural Bridge Caverns are the caves near central Texas. I live on the east side of the state, and Houston has it's own list of places to go: All of Pappa's restraurnts are good, and I love Pappasito's like everyone else. . I like Gringo's now, too but its more middling fare in price and quality; its what we get weekish for the family meal on Saturdays. Fogo's is amazing but pricey.

It's hard to give recommendations since we have been living on Door Dash and Grub Hub for what feels like forever now, I more than most.

Kiki

Log Wizard
Everyone raves about Buckee's as the gas station truck stop to go to but I have never been to one.

Go to the bathroom, descriptions don't do it justice. It will ruin every other gas station in the entire world for you. Maybe ignorance is bliss however.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Go to the bathroom, descriptions don't do it justice. It will ruin every other gas station in the entire world for you. Maybe ignorance is bliss however.
Bucc-ee's is just a little world of its own, and you'll really miss out if you don't stop to get some road trip munchies when you pass by. So many things there are good. Nugs, Fudge, BBQ sandwiches, all sorts of weird texas shit. I think half the markup goes into the bathroom team.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's weird to me that Buc-ee's gets a recommendation. I mean, in the end, it's still just a gas station. It's a nice one to stop at if you need gas, to pee, or like mentioned some snacks. But it's still just a gas station. They do everything right.

That said, I recommend getting some candied nuts.

Kiki

Log Wizard
It's weird to me that Buc-ee's gets a recommendation. I mean, in the end, it's still just a gas station. It's a nice one to stop at if you need gas, to pee, or like mentioned some snacks. But it's still just a gas station. They do everything right.

That said, I recommend getting some candied nuts.

It's the perfect model of how every other gas station should be.

• 1Like