Textbook Tips and Tricks

The Master

Bronze Squire
Amazon has decent prices on some books and with prime the free shipping helps immensely. I don't have an Amazon Prime membership but I've made free one month trials each semester to get the books I need from there.
If you're in school, that means you probably have an e-mail address that ends in .edu. Amazon Student is Amazon Prime, except free, the only requirement is that you can provide a .edu e-mail. Enjoy.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
Isn't prime only free for 6 months with an .edu address?

After that, there's still a pretty huge discount, though - 50%, I think? Totally worth the money.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Prime Student is free for 6 months then, I think, $39 a year for the next 4 years.

We're in the midst of it now but I haven't paid for it yet so I can't confirm that amount.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Just signed up for Amazon Student, just in time to get books for the Spring Semester. Thanks again for the heads up!

The Master

Bronze Squire
Isn't prime only free for 6 months with an .edu address?

After that, there's still a pretty huge discount, though - 50%, I think? Totally worth the money.
Did they change it? It used to just be free, period (you had to renew it every year to prove you still had the address). Though I guess with the lame "Here is a $1 coupon for mp3's if you don't pick 2-day shipping" thing, they probably started losing a bit of money on Prime/Student.

Blide_sl

shitlord
Did they change it? It used to just be free, period (you had to renew it every year to prove you still had the address).
It used to be free for a year. I looked at renewing my student one recently and seem to recall it wanting me provide documentation that I was still enrolled beyond the .edu account... Which makes sense since I still have access to my .edu account despite graduating a year and half ago.

As for the question at hand. Used books on Amazon are the way to go. Of course good prices are harder to find as you approach the beginning of the semester, then they drop again shortly after that.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So where's the best place to torrent them? And once you have the file, what's the standard way to use them? Just on the computer or would a reader be better? What would be the best choice if so, Kindle? Nook? One just as good as the other?

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
SHILL ALERT!

If you can't find it on torrents, or swipe it from the book store to stick it to the man, trywww.cheapesttextbooks.com. It'll compare prices across every major online book merchant, even some of the rental sites.

Book renting, what a weird concept. Next thing you know, they'll lend them out for free at some centralized, publicly funded building!!!

/shill off

Killjoy_sl

shitlord
Most of my classes have a textbook that incorporates some type of online or learning software for the actual assignments and requires an activation code. What I end up with is a code that cost me $150 and a giant textbook that I never open. Looks like The Man is shutting the used textbook market right the fuck down.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Pretty much. Everything is moving towards online access codes which you cant obviously resale and maybe cost 10% less than a traditional book. College book industry can go fuck itself and die in a fire.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Are you looking for International editions? My Genetics course this semester required an access code for MasteringGenetics and I found the international edition for 45 bucks and it came with the access code as well.

Gadrel_sl

shitlord
In law school I do two things to get books cheaply: I buy books used off Amazon towards the end of a semester when people put them up for sale and supply outstrips demand. The prices are usually much cheaper.

Another good trick is to look at the differences between the current edition of the textbook and the previous edition. The library usually has both. A lot of times the differences are very, very minimal. A good example would be Lopucki/Warren's Secured Transactions course book. The 7th edition is $120 used, the 6th edition is a whopping $1 used. I used the 6th edition for a class that required the 7th, but the only difference between the two was one case covering 3 pages. Easy $100 savings.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
It is difficult for a lot of people to buy books at the end of the semester, though. You don't know if they are going to change editions or change books completely, and you may not know what teh changes between the editions are, or to what extent the professor will use the material like the unit questions from the book, which can vary greatly between editions. I'm taking this human/computer interaction class and the difference between the second and third editions is like night and day. And I took an art class when I was at NVCC that seemed like everyone in the class had a different edition of the book and it didn't matter.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
My nursing fundamentals and pathophysiology book each cost $250 and the online access code was $60. Separate. I think I need a tablet to make this less expensive. ;\

Gadrel_sl

shitlord
It is difficult for a lot of people to buy books at the end of the semester, though. You don't know if they are going to change editions or change books completely, and you may not know what teh changes between the editions are, or to what extent the professor will use the material like the unit questions from the book, which can vary greatly between editions. I'm taking this human/computer interaction class and the difference between the second and third editions is like night and day. And I took an art class when I was at NVCC that seemed like everyone in the class had a different edition of the book and it didn't matter.
My advice probably only applies to law school where the difference between textbook editions is fairly minor. The reason being: the law, in most areas, changes very slowly. So the difference between editions released three years apart may be only a handful of cases.

Also, our law library usually has both the new and previous editions, making it easy to compare the two.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
You can also use older textbooks in economic and psychology - with the exception of online access codes. They're shilling those online things hardcore at the econ conference, and it just boggles my mind. There's no reason you need animation to understand indifference curves... in fact, I have no clue what it's supposed to add to understanding. Although, at least in my department, they're not being used - so old editions are perfectly fine.

I think it's worthwhile to email your professor and check ahead of class. All but the most inept tend to care enough about their students to look at the differences between editions. Worst case is that you'll be assigned homework from the textbook. However, in that case you can just go and make copies in the library. Some books do mix around chapters, but looking at the table of contents gets around that.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
anyone know a place i can snipe a college text book, gf needs one asap has a case study and all the books are sold out around school and on campus.

ethical dilemmas and decisions in criminal justice 7th edition.

i dont know shit about this, not even sure if she cna buy like a text document on amazon so she has the shit asap, its due tommorow, was hoping maybe i could download it read alot of you're guys storys.