The 80s kid thread

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
magnum_pi.jpg

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you watched this live in a classroom then you are my bro. If you weren't born when this happened I hope you die horribly and you should feel bad.

rrr_img_67316.jpg
Grew up in Central Florida. It was the norm to actually go outside and watch the shuttles go up, as you could see it from hundreds of miles away. I'd already seen many launches, but this one you knew immediately that something had gone wrong. I can still see it in my mind to this day watching the two rocket trails off in opposite directions. Sad stuff.

I still have the Orlando Sentinel newspaper announcement from the day after it happened.

Not to derail, but holy fuck!! I had no idea the cabin remained intact after the explosion. The report says that some astronauts could have been alive on impact with the water!

Space Shuttle Challenger disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wiki_sl said:
The crew cabin, made of reinforced aluminum, was a particularly robust section of the shuttle.[22] During vehicle breakup, it detached in one piece and slowly tumbled into a ballistic arc. NASA estimated the load factor at separation to be between 12 and 20 g; within two seconds it had already dropped to below 4 g and within ten seconds the cabin was in free fall. The forces involved at this stage were likely insufficient to cause major injury.

At least some of the astronauts were likely alive and at least briefly conscious after the breakup, as three of the four recovered Personal Egress Air Packs (PEAPs) on the flight deck were found to have been activated. Investigators found their remaining unused air supply roughly consistent with the expected consumption during the 2 minute 45 second post-breakup trajectory.

While analyzing the wreckage, investigators discovered that several electrical system switches on Pilot Mike Smith's right-hand panel had been moved from their usual launch positions. Fellow Astronaut Richard Mullane wrote, "These switches were protected with lever locks that required them to be pulled outward against a spring force before they could be moved to a new position." Later tests established that neither force of the explosion nor the impact with the ocean could have moved them, indicating that Smith made the switch changes, presumably in a futile attempt to restore electrical power to the cockpit after the crew cabin detached from the rest of the orbiter.[23]

Whether the astronauts remained conscious long after the breakup is unknown, and largely depends on whether the detached crew cabin maintained pressure integrity. If it did not, the time of useful consciousness at that altitude is just a few seconds; the PEAPs supplied only unpressurized air, and hence would not have helped the crew to retain consciousness. If, on the other hand, the cabin was not depressurized or only slowly depressurizing, the astronauts may have been conscious for the entire fall until impact.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
80s kid checking in!

You guys disappoint me. All these posts in and no mention that some of the best horror films ever were released in that period? My parents loved watching horror films and me and my sister who were under 10 watched the films with them. Scared the shit out of us but it was fun!

220px-Nightmare01.jpg
220px-Evil_dead_ver1.jpg
220px-Evil_Dead_II_poster.jpg
220px-The_Shining_poster.jpg
220px-Friday_the_thirteenth_movie_poster.jpg