The Al`kabor Project (EQMac) - PoP 1/5

Excidium

Trakanon Raider
Just started here. Anybody playing on this server right now? Looking for some pity platinum.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Can I make Dark Men of Odus here? Or are a bunch of woke trust fund babies gonna have a melter over it?

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Can I make Dark Men of Odus here? Or are a bunch of woke trust fund babies gonna have a melter over it?
I imagine Haynar might veto the name alone just due to it being associated with P99. But you can try. I'd support it.

The blowup over the name is always good fun, considering you guys roleplayed erudites exactly to lore specifications - snobby, upper-class scholars who think of other races as less intelligent. EQ always has had those subtle undertones of races hating each other. As long as you stick to EQ lore and not make "Jerome the Wizard" again (which is immersion breaking although hilarious), I can't imagine it to be taken as anything other than EQ lore aficionados roleplaying.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I imagine Haynar might veto the name alone just due to it being associated with P99. But you can try. I'd support it.

The blowup over the name is always good fun, considering you guys roleplayed erudites exactly to lore specifications - snobby, upper-class scholars who think of other races as less intelligent. EQ always has had those subtle undertones of races hating each other. As long as you stick to EQ lore and not make "Jerome the Wizard" again (which is immersion breaking although hilarious), I can't imagine it to be taken as anything other than EQ lore aficionados roleplaying.

How about the GM named Djembe from Fansy the bard's logs? Why was that okay then for a staff member and would now be considered "extremely racist".

Jerome is a Biblical name too.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
How about the GM named Djembe from Fansy the bard's logs? Why was that okay then for a staff member and would now be considered "extremely racist".

Jerome is a Biblical name too.
Yeah, that's all great and stuff, but you've admitted to me in private that Dark Men of Odus is a parody of how black people are treated, and the goal is to invoke feelings of racism from a community that already is borderline racist. Your goal here is to disrupt and stoke division in a community that would otherwise not even approach these subjects because the game itself doesn't explore that subject in depth.

You and I know that the only saving grace from having people be honest with their feelings about their fellow players is that the 'old south' racism is not an explored subject in EQ, nor should it be, because in lore racism/xenophobia is just limited to which quests you can and cannot do, and has no real bearing on your decisions at endgame.

Personally, I think you should do it and actually fucking /own/ the lore.

Use traditional Erud names, like Al'Kabor, Jordin, Gayle, Demicla, Palus, etc - not real-world names appropriated for EQ lore.

Erudites – Erudite names are usually pretty serious, hard to pronounce, to reflect their intelligence. Combinations sometimes contain variations of zen, ae, iel, ubi, num, uil, obil, and other unique combinations.

Also, refer to the EverQuest Name Policy. Clearly some exceptions were allowed (like Jeff Kaplan's Tigole Bitties - much to the chagrin of people like Shawn Lord who has expressed his disdain in interviews), but I don't think biblical names were ever allowed. You didn't see "Jesus Christ" running around in EQ, for example.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Yeah, that's all great and stuff, but you've admitted to me in private that Dark Men of Odus is a parody of how black people are treated, and the goal is to invoke feelings of racism from a community that already is borderline racist. Your goal here is to disrupt and stoke division in a community that would otherwise not even approach these subjects because the game itself doesn't explore that subject in depth.

You and I know that the only saving grace from having people be honest with their feelings about their fellow players is that the 'old south' racism is not an explored subject in EQ, nor should it be, because in lore racism/xenophobia is just limited to which quests you can and cannot do, and has no real bearing on your decisions at endgame.

Use traditional Erud names, like Al'Kabor, Jordin, Gayle, Demicla, Palus, etc - not real-world names appropriated for EQ lore.

Also, refer to the EverQuest Name Policy. Clearly some exceptions were allowed (like Jeff Kaplan's Tigole Bitties), but I don't think biblical names were ever allowed. You didn't see "Jesus Christ" running around in EQ, for example.

Where did I say that was the entire goal and not a hilarious side effect that I enjoyed prodding

I made an Erudite named Skullmogger not "Blackface"

Erudite RP is best RP

• 1Like

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Where did I say that was the entire goal and not a hilarious side effect

I made an Erudite named Skullmogger not "Blackface"
I mean why would you pick the theme if not surfacing the subtle racism in the community that's always been there?
Your actions have always proved more than the words you spoke.

Also, more referring to Jeremy's characters which were a bit less subtle than yours.
I quite enjoyed your picks, but then you started to see some really fucking borderline racist shit from the rest of the guild because it got attention due to its choice.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
wow I was about to start up on this server with as an erudite wizard named Jamal. I can’t? No racist intent behind it. Seems pretty extreme level of name moderation..

• 1Worf

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Haynar is truly one of the good ones, as far as I know. He did deny staff playing their own server in our recruitment thread, which is demonstrably false many times over. But still, tackled the tough issues and sought to make things authentically classic regardless of the trust fund babies bribing for ezmode.

Please let me know what was borderline racist. The staff never came to me about anything, and only made knee jerk emotional rulings without context or evidence.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Isn’t it racist to demand that black characters take white names? Didn’t slave owners use to do that?

🤔🤔🤔🤔

• 2Like

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
PoP is launching in a few weeks and this thread's discussion is about how borderline racist you can get away with when naming characters and guilds. How nice.

The answer is no, they don't take this kind of thing well over there and would likely force a rename. If it wouldn't fly in P99's community, don't bet on it flying in EQMac's. These guys voluntarily rotated content for a decade without GMs mandating anything so they're the touchy feely types.

• 1Like
  • 1Pathetic

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
PoP is launching in a few weeks and this thread's discussion is about how borderline racist you can get away with when naming characters and guilds. How nice.

The answer is no, they don't take this kind of thing well over there and would likely force a rename. If it wouldn't fly in P99's community, don't bet on it flying in EQMac's. These guys voluntarily rotated content for a decade without GMs mandating anything so they're the touchy feely types.
So you’re telling me I can’t use the EQ name I’ve been using for 20 years, Jamal, because it’s racist? The fuck? Now THATS RACIST.

• 2Like

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Well if the past mattered you'd probably be banned from even making a character in the first place.

• 1Worf

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Isn’t it racist to demand that black characters take white names? Didn’t slave owners use to do that?

🤔🤔🤔🤔

GM Djembe, Master Skullmogger and Father Erud are smiling down on you from the Plane of Sky.

Today you are an honorary Erudite.

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE

It's not that I'm trying to be borderline racist as they're turning RP into race baiting.

Well, I for one am not interested in communities like these.

A reminder, it wasn't racist for a decade. It still isn't. Erud bless.

Pogi.G

Silver Baronet of the Realm

Also, refer to the EverQuest Name Policy. Clearly some exceptions were allowed (like Jeff Kaplan's Tigole Bitties - much to the chagrin of people like Shawn Lord who has expressed his disdain in interviews), but I don't think biblical names were ever allowed. You didn't see "Jesus Christ" running around in EQ, for example.

All I'm hearing is it would be perfectly okay to use:

Jeromezen
Jeromeae
Jeromeiel
Jeromeubi
Etc...

• 1Like

Pogi.G

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So you’re telling me I can’t use the EQ name I’ve been using for 20 years, Jamal, because it’s racist? The fuck? Now THATS RACIST.

Unless you're black, it's cultural appropriation.

Embarrassed Shame GIF

• 1Worf