The Al`kabor Project (EQMac) - PoP 1/5

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
I spoke to the guys today. The short answer is that a release date has been pushed back to an unknown time. I apologize if this makes me a liar but I will try to explain the reasons.

In Spring last year developer morale was low when Haynar left, and Rob started talking to me about opening the source up. While he did not make any firm commitment I still took it to mean that he wanted to do it soon. I also wanted to do this, so I took it as a high probability of it happening. And since I have a big mouth I wrote the post here without getting any firm commitment from staff.

However since then, Haynar has (mostly) returned. We got a new highly active developer who is fixing a lot of quests (Elroz). Only one guild has beaten Quarm and only two have gotten to him. (Quarm is custom content we do not want spoiled; we also have another little thing we want users to find first) Some of the player community have expressed concern over my post here and do not want the source opened yet. On top of this the individual 'clout' as it were of the developers shifts over time and so the opinions of some devs matter more now, and some of them do not want to release at this time. (not complaining about this, contribution grants clout and that's how it should be)

So the current answer for now is to open after TAKP becomes less active, i.e. our server pop trails off after guilds start losing interest and developer commits slow down. My personal stance on this is that I would prefer to open up sometime this year but it won't happen until the other guys are ready.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
I spoke to the guys today. The short answer is that a release date has been pushed back to an unknown time. I apologize if this makes me a liar but I will try to explain the reasons.

In Spring last year developer morale was low when Haynar left, and Rob started talking to me about opening the source up. While he did not make any firm commitment I still took it to mean that he wanted to do it soon. I also wanted to do this, so I took it as a high probability of it happening. And since I have a big mouth I wrote the post here without getting any firm commitment from staff.

However since then, Haynar has (mostly) returned. We got a new highly active developer who is fixing a lot of quests (Elroz). Only one guild has beaten Quarm and only two have gotten to him. (Quarm is custom content we do not want spoiled; we also have another little thing we want users to find first) Some of the player community have expressed concern over my post here and do not want the source opened yet. On top of this the individual 'clout' as it were of the developers shifts over time and so the opinions of some devs matter more now, and some of them do not want to release at this time. (not complaining about this, contribution grants clout and that's how it should be)

So the current answer for now is to open after TAKP becomes less active, i.e. our server pop trails off after guilds start losing interest and developer commits slow down. My personal stance on this is that I would prefer to open up sometime this year but it won't happen until the other guys are ready.
If they're still polishing stuff then that makes sense. Old world content could use a facelift. Lot of cosmetic text missing in various quests.

The goal was to release when everything's complete, and as long as there's a plan to make good on that bargain eventually, that seems fair to me.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think it is best for it to not be opened up from the player's perspective. Keep people all in one place rather than let others open up their own copycat servers.

I agree with waiting until the server is dying and then let someone else take their spin on it IMO

Zaide

TLP Idealist

A shame you couldn’t keep your word.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

Not wanting to spoil Quarm is one of the main reasons it sounds like? No worries about "lying" I know how it goes bruv.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I think it is best for it to not be opened up from the player's perspective. Keep people all in one place rather than let others open up their own copycat servers.

I agree with waiting until the server is dying and then let someone else take their spin on it IMO
I just really want a single box only version :) if they release it around the time Project1999 Green wraps up, and advertise it appropriately, I bet it could get a decent population.

• 1Like

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
It's really all of the reasons I mentioned combined.

A lot of the inherited PEQ quests had made-up text in them and omissions. I noticed that when I implemented some of our quests but apparently it's a larger problem than I realized. That's what Elroz has been fixing. He's been going through every quest NPC in the game and trying to get responses from them so this includes stuff not on Allakhazam. New developers to a project tend to be enthusiastic and put in a lot of time before they burn out. We never had a dedicated quest guy before so he's been busy these past several months. Part of the delay is simply a desire for the first release to not be in the middle of a polish phase when forkers would have to update their quests every week.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE

My morale would be low if Haynar left too.

He was an absolute realist, unafraid to tackle/hash out the *hard shit* and super goal oriented.

Glad u got him back and happy to promote anything for ya in the neckbeard channels.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

your_mum

Trakanon Raider
understandable but disappointing for the eqemu community imo... p99, takp, a lot others, that have continuously made the same database changes forked from peq.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
PEQ already has much of my NPC data. I found some of my parse results on the p99 wiki a few months ago by chance because the wiki people pulled numbers from Project EQ which got them from my work.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Thought about doing the new TLP but decided to just start playing back here instead. If anyone wants to play I'd be happy to help someone start some new toons. Still running my old three box combo of Paladin / Necromancer / Shaman (level 59, 59, and 54 respectively). Diving back into three boxing after 4-5 years of not play EQ is a bitch lol. This trio has a lot of potential but man it takes a lot of actions per minute to be fully effective. I spend half my time just twitching and cannibalizing lol. Thinking maybe I'll replace paladin and shaman with warrior and cleric someday, not any time soon tho.

• 1Like

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
In case you're wondering why I'm okay with the release being delayed, this below post is a small sample of Elroz's continued work on random stuff that's just missing across multiple expansions:

1676495498720.png

1676495599130.png

1676495653239.png

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Several single boxers levelling lately. Server has a lot of boxers but we are usually so happy to see a single boxer that they get showered with plat and gear. Lots of groups of all level ranges levelling according to /who all 5 50. Great time to start the server imo. If anyone does want to start up let me know and I'll hook you up with plat and gear.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Also good to know for anyone considering starting on the server -- the old PoP / EQMac era norm of Mass Group Buffs happening outside Doggle Bank in PoK several times a day is still a thing. And often if a newbie asks for an MGB buff to happen one of the vets will make sure to organize one just to be nice. Level 50-65 buffs that land on a level 1. Makes levelling through the early levels on a mature server way less painful. One of the many things that was so great about EQMac that still happens on TAKP.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Spent this evening playing alts dungeons crawling through Kaesora with a newer player to the server. He had never done anything in Kaesora other than camp Xalgoz, had such a blast showing him the ropes that I didn't even notice my toons ding two levels -- second of which was a hell level -- until as we were logging.

Plenty of other lowbies levelling right now. Several single box necros levelling tonight and a couple two boxers. Mostly three boxers but still. Such a friendly server, and the way the group EXP bonus works on this server you're always making more EXP by adding a fourth, even if they just sit there and AFK.

Started giving away gear to lowbies, stuff my 59 paladin outgrew, and ended up having some level 65s hand down gear to me as a thank you to being nice to the lowbies. Just as an example of how healthy this server's community is.

EQ's 24 year old gameplay might be a little stale but a great community makes up for so much of that. Really glad I started playing again.

• 1Like

Ether

Lord Nagafen Raider
I just started up a 3-box with a buddy this past weekend, so we are running a full group. It’s definitely an adjustment from single boxing, but thinking of the content we’ll be able to do just the 2 of us is exciting.

If anyone has any any plat/gear to hook us up with, it’d be much appreciated! Spells are more expensive than I remember. Name in game is Koja/Kanadros/Woodzy. Usually around on weeknights ~7pm CST and Sundays.

• 1Solidarity