The Astronomy Thread

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
http://spaceobs.org/en/2013/02/25/co...ion-with-mars/

There is a chance that the comet C/2013 A1 (Siding Spring), discovered in the beginning of 2013, might collide with Mars. At the moment, based on the observation arc of 74 days, the nominal close approach distance between the red planet and the comet might be as little as 0.00073 AU, that is approximately 109,200 km! Distance to Mars? natural satellite Deimos will be smaller by 6000 km, making it 103,000 km. On the 19th October 2014, the comet might reach apparent magnitude of -8?-8.5, as seen from Mars! Perhaps it will be possible to accuire high-resolution images from the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO).

Since C/2013 A1 is a hyperbolic comet and moves in a retrograde orbit, its velocity with respect to the planet will be very high, approximately 56 km/s. With the current estimate of the absolute magnitude of the nucleus M2 = 10.3, which might indicate the diameter from 10 to 50 km, the energy of impact might reach the equivalent of staggering 2?10?? megatonnes! This kind of event can leave a crater 500 km across and 2 km deep. Such an event would overshadow even the famous bombardment of Jupiter by the disintegrated comet Shoemaker?Levy 9 in July 1994, which by some estimates was originally 15 km in diameter.

All that is said above is based on the current measurements, and will of course be refined as more data comes in. In any case, even now we can say that the close approach will happen. The current orbit uncertainty allows for a collision scenario, but the possibility of this is small. Astronomers keep watching this interesting comet, and I will keep you up to date with the news.

Nominal orbital elements were taken from JPL NASA website, calculations were done in Mercury package.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
We are in fantastic shape to get a huge amount of science data if it did crash into Mars. That's not even mentioning we should be able to get some great images from such an impact.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
I hope it plows into Mars and fucks it up 3 ways from Sunday, if the % is high enough in time I want them to send something out just to watch it, then a rover to land near it and explore it. Televise the shit out of it, make sure every man woman and child with access to a television or the internet sees the destruction something like this just happened to our next door neighbor, maybe then we can start building the already feasible technology to deflect/change the trajectory of these asteroid/comets. We have the technology to prevent this from happening to us, if we die from a comet/asteroid strike then our species deserves to be the laughing stock of the entire universe.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I hope it plows into Mars and fucks it up 3 ways from Sunday, if the % is high enough in time I want them to send something out just to watch it, then a rover to land near it and explore it. Televise the shit out of it, make sure every man woman and child with access to a television or the internet sees the destruction something like this just happened to our next door neighbor, maybe then we can start building the already feasible technology to deflect/change the trajectory of these asteroid/comets. We have the technology to prevent this from happening to us, if we die from a comet/asteroid strike then our species deserves to be the laughing stock of the entire universe.
Im still dissapointed how little coverage Shoemaker-Levy got, the explosion released 6,000 megatons of TNT, supposedly 600x the world's entire nuclear arsenal

Lenas

Trump's Staff
If it does plow Mars, hopefully it'll be on the opposite side of the planet than Curiosity.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
If it does plow Mars, hopefully it'll be on the opposite side of the planet than Curiosity.
Haha was thinking about that when I first read that story. Wonder how pissed and amazed the people at NASA would be if it would impact near Curiosity.

iannis

Musty Nester
Emergency Budget Request submitted to congress under the "That Asshole God Smashed Our Rover ACT" act.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
From a science perspective, it would be pretty amazing. We have never witnessed a impact on a non-gaseous planet before. It would suck if the explosion took out our rovers and satellites, though ;P

Troll_sl

shitlord
The dust storms kicked up by an impact would be fierce, I'm thinking. Mars already has them in spades. I'm not sure even Curiosity could survive them.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
The comet is predicted to pass Mars much further out than that asteroid passed Earth a week or two ago. No one is predicting that it's going to hit Mars. Just that there's an incredibly small chance it might.

It would be pretty awesome though.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The comet is predicted to pass Mars much further out than that asteroid passed Earth a week or two ago. No one is predicting that it's going to hit Mars. Just that there's an incredibly small chance it might.

It would be pretty awesome though.
That's what I figured when that article didn't list the probability.

Scientist: "There's a 99.999% chance the asteroid will miss mars."
Press:" So you're saying there's a chance."
Scientist: "... yes..."
Faux Science News article: "POSSIBLE COLLISION WITH MARS!"

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
That's what I figured when that article didn't list the probability.

Scientist: "There's a 99.999% chance the asteroid will miss mars."
Press:" So you're saying there's a chance."
Scientist: "... yes..."
Faux Science News article: "POSSIBLE COLLISION WITH MARS!"
Yeah that shit pisses me off, I want to see this stuff happening not only because well imagine how fucking cool it would be but because when people see your next door neighbor get crushed with something that is 2,000 km wide they start to realize that shit could happen to us.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
It can't be 2,000 Km wide, thats literally half the size of USA. An impact that huge would literally carve out another moon ala Earth's moon.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
It can't be 2,000 Km wide, thats literally half the size of USA. An impact that huge would literally carve out another moon ala Earth's moon.
Yeah it isn't that big, I blame KM and not recognizing spaces and thought I read 2k km. It's times like this where I hate the mile and not used to seeing km
frown.png