I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
CvyWoUFXEAEbIho.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Well there's a good chance that any life we encounter will be incapable of even bnding to and disrupting any cellular processes. This is unless, due to the fundemntal laws of the universe cellular chemistry has evolved similarly elsewhere due just to the constraints imposed by these universal laws or the other life is not carbon based and completely toxic to our carbon based cellular life.

Cells might be a bit more universal than other aspects of Earth biology. In a chemistry sense, lipid membranes make a lot of sense as a defense mechanism. Some of the most basic, sturdy, polymers possible.

• 1Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Cells might be a bit more universal than other aspects of Earth biology. In a chemistry sense, lipid membranes make a lot of sense as a defense mechanism. Some of the most basic, sturdy, polymers possible.
Yes, but microorganisms enter/ineract with cells mainly through protein-protein interactions, though if lipid membranes are ubiquitous in all forms of life (outside of how we know life pn Earth) then, yes there would be potential interaction through lipids or cholesterol or a number of other macromolecules. My guess is that probably even some cellular processes are ubiquitous (at least very similar to an extent) also (aerobic respiration, photosynthesis), so alien life would probably interact with us (on a cellular level). Pathogenicly, idk.

• 1Like

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
A commentated 500 fps look at the Apollo 11 launch, approximately 30 seconds of real time over an 8 minute video. I thought it was pretty interesting.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

iannis

Musty Nester
This is something that I've never completely understood.

Why is he all dressed up in crazy PPE and they have that thing out in the open air? What is it that requires that suit? I'm genuinely curious, because you see that pretty often.

Guy dressed in PPE, probably to avoid contamination of the artifact... but the artifact is just sitting out in the open. Like dust is contaminating it worse than he is.

• 1Like

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
This is something that I've never completely understood.

Why is he all dressed up in crazy PPE and they have that thing out in the open air? What is it that requires that suit? I'm genuinely curious, because you see that pretty often.

Guy dressed in PPE, probably to avoid contamination of the artifact... but the artifact is just sitting out in the open. Like dust is contaminating it worse than he is.

That's actually in a huge fucking clean room.

IMG_6788_1a_JWST_Ken-Kremer.jpg

• 3Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Juno will remain in it's 53.5 day orbit for the forseeable future,though that could change. Emily Lakdawalla has a summary of the mission as it stands now, which included the video below. Best part starts at 1:45 or so, and images from the closest approach aren't available.

Main camera of Juno isn't expected to be turned back on until 12/11.

Hope they get this missing straightened out, not a lot of stuff coming from beyond Mars for a while once Cassini plunges into Saturn next year.

• 3Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
God I hope they don't fuck up the deployment of the James Webb telescope! :/

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So the universes expansion rate was calculated using about 70 type 1a super novas all over the observable universe which gave a sigma 5. (higher sigmas mean they're more likely to be real, the higgs boson was sigma 7 as an example) . Well they analysed 10x as many super nova in a recent study and it dropped to 3! This throws the concept of an expanding universe into question and might remove the necessity of dark energy. If it pans out we may be living in a very stable universe.

The universe is expanding at an accelerating rate—or is it?

Apparently this article was completely misleading, dark energy still exists and we're still in an expanding universe. This does a really good job of explaining why the results don't really change anything that we know.

• 2Like

Szlia

That's pretty crazy. I wonder what is the exposure time and how many photons we are talking about (as in: is there room for enhancement?)

• 2Like

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm also curious about the estimated size of those planets. They seem fairly large in comparison with the star.

• 1Like