The Astronomy Thread

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
gonna be 100-200 years before space tourism like that exists in a way that isn't piggy backed onto science missions, i would say.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
There is a lot more content in the published teleconference (second link). Its worth a look.

A Whole New Jupiter: First Science Results from NASA’s Juno Mission

This image shows Jupiter’s south pole, as seen by NASA’s Juno spacecraft from an altitude of 32,000 miles (52,000 kilometers). The oval features are cyclones, up to 600 miles (1,000 kilometers) in diameter. Multiple images taken with the JunoCam instrument on three separate orbits were combined to show all areas in daylight, enhanced color, and stereographic projection.

17-051.jpg

Juno Media Teleconference

NASA’s Juno spacecraft is investigating the structure and convection of Jupiter’s interior by reaching through the meteorological layer, the top layer of the planet’s atmosphere. A possible inner “rock” core is shown, surrounded by a metallic hydrogen envelope (shown in blue) and outer envelope of molecular hydrogen (shown in brown), all hidden beneath the visible cloud deck. Juno’s gravity field data will reveal new clues about Jupiter’s core. Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/SwRI
03_scott_3.jpg

Waves of clouds at 37.8 degrees latitude dominate this three-dimensional Jovian cloudscape, courtesy of NASA’s Juno spacecraft. JunoCam obtained this enhanced-color picture on May 19, 2017, at 5:50 UTC from an altitude of 5,500 miles (8,900 kilometers). Details as small as 4 miles (6 kilometers) across can be identified in this image. The small bright high clouds are about 16 miles (25 kilometers) across and in some areas appear to form “squall lines” (a narrow band of high winds and storms associated with a cold front). On Jupiter, clouds this high are almost certainly composed of water and/or ammonia ice.
Credits: NASA/SWRI/MSSS/Gerald Eichstädt/Seán Doran

18-candy-2.jpg

Small bright clouds dot Jupiter’s entire south tropical zone in this image acquired by JunoCam on NASA’s Juno spacecraft on May 19, 2017, at an altitude of 7,990 miles (12,858 kilometers). Although the bright clouds appear tiny in this vast Jovian cloudscape, they actually are cloud towers roughly 30 miles (50 kilometers) wide and 30 miles (50 kilometers) high that cast shadows on the clouds below. On Jupiter, clouds this high are almost certainly composed of water and/or ammonia ice, and they may be sources of lightning. This is the first time so many cloud towers have been visible, possibly because the late-afternoon lighting is particularly good at this geometry.
Credits: NASA/SWRI/MSSS/Gerald Eichstädt/Seán Doran

21_candy_5.png

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
DAsUhNcWAAELMMD.jpg

So this is a pretty cool image. Orion from Jupiter, but the streak in the middle is Jupiter's ring, from within it looking out.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I was talking about seeing them from an orbit.

Well yea. Just saying there's not much to do but look. Jupiter and the other gas giants are destined to be orbitally-siphoned for fuel someday and nothing more.

• 1Like

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
upload_2017-5-30_12-29-42.png

You can now download a 125 megapixel version of this image, here:

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
Solar Probe Mission Renamed to Honor Pioneering Physicist

A bit on the solar probe mission, should be some cool science coming from this one. I think this will be the fastest man made object ever, although I am not sure.

By a large margin...I had to check around after reading it would be traveling over 118 miles per second, but this looks to be legit. That's over 400,000 mph, way the hell faster than the next fastest object. Awesome!

NASA Plans To Launch A Probe Next Year To 'Touch The Sun'

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
another article on LIGO, open incognito mode if you get ad issues
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/01/science/black-holes-collision-ligo-gravitational-waves.html

In the latest LIGO event, a black hole 19 times the mass of the sun and another black hole 31 times the sun’s mass, married to make a single hole of 49 solar masses. During the last frantic moments of the merger, they were shedding more energy in the form of gravitational waves than all the stars in the observable universe.

insane

• 1Like

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Actually got that large Jupiter image printed on vinyl, it's awesome. Makes me want to put a nice title on it, maybe notable moons, etc, and find a way to hang them around the house for my kids (3, 5) to learn about.

IURTMsjZ0_a5wozGAL1aR_TjvcynnSNp9xUCht7dnALU0tRCDGwLl2iAbEl-QzRh7fk_dUejHNGpXpYk0lg=w713-h950-no.jpg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Didn't even know the Chinese had a lander on the Moon! Don't think any major Western media outlet has spoken about it. :(

Amazing pictures though! :)

I remember that it was briefly mentioned. Once.

"Today china put a lander on the moon. LOL, we did that 60 years ago and ours was manned. Still though, grats I guess."

And I'm not exaggerating all that much.

• 2Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

Didn't even know the Chinese had a lander on the Moon! Don't think any major Western media outlet has spoken about it. :(

Amazing pictures though! :)

It happened a few years ago and made it into the news. The rover died a few days after the landing, though.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
Rings and asteroids may explain ‘alien megastructure’ star

It may not be aliens after all. A fresh model that might explain the so-called “alien megastructure” star evokes only natural phenomena, such as a ringed planet that puts Saturn to shame and clouds of comets that contain more mass than Jupiter. That included Fernando Ballesteros at the University of Valencia in Spain and his colleagues. Although they classify themselves as extragalactic astronomers, they couldn’t help but focus their attention a little closer to home when Tabby’s star became popular. The mystery has been the topic of debate, and now Ballesteros has come up with a solution.

The team believes a dip in 2011, which reduced the brightness of Tabby’s star by up to 15 per cent, can be explained by a massive ringed planet five times the size of Jupiter transiting in front of it. Rings would help clear up why the dip was asymmetric: if they were tilted, the leading edge might block the star’s light and the trailing edge might not.

A later dip in brightness, which actually consisted of a series of dips in 2013, can be explained by a trailing swarm of asteroids – much like the Trojan asteroids that share an orbit with Jupiter.

And the latest dip, observed the week before last, can be explained by the planet passing behind the star. Surprisingly, this would also create a slight dip, because any light reflecting off the planet – albeit faint – would now be hidden from view. But the model isn’t perfect. “There are lots of problems, but at least they are only ‘scale’ problems,” says co-author Alberto Fernández-Soto at the University of Cantabria in Spain. In other words, we have seen these things before, just on much smaller scales, he says.

The planet, for example, would be so large that it could be a small star. And the swarm of asteroids would need to contain as much mass as Jupiter, though it’s not clear whether that is physically possible.
Fernández-Soto also isn’t certain whether this is the right explanation, but is sure that the star’s activity will not be explained with run-of-the-mill objects — at least not in their standard sizes. “Whatever the solution to the riddle, it’s going to be exciting,” he says.

• 1Like