The Astronomy Thread

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm really looking forward to the JWST, but fuck if it isn't unsurprising that there's massive delays and budget overruns.

I wonder if we'll have some crazy asteroid hunting space telescopes by the time the JWST launches. I'm sure there's a lot of different considerations for searching for galaxies or whatever vs searching for small clumps of iridium, but if asteroid mining becomes a trillion dollar industry....

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
In the summer, northern michigan its all I do, take star shots with my $2500 camera and lenses. This year im thinking about getting a star tracker.

lyLpkKOb.jpg
6L1LcTlb.jpg
Tye2FWLb.jpg

3ATyTWRb.jpg

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The small images are probably due to some technical issues with the xenforo 2.0 upgrade, but right now I'm going to assume that you spent $2500 on gear that can only take 100x100 pixel images.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
6L1LcTl.jpg

Tye2FWL.jpg

LihS6IX.jpg

3ATyTWR.jpg

Still heavily downsized for internet. Original would take like 2-3 of these web pages if not more. Besides, never upload originals.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Launching the thing just means those people have to find something new to do.

On Isaac Arthur. Dude is great. I think he needs to work at space x or NASA. I've listened to so much of his stuff his voice doesn't register as having an impediment anymore.
Well, NASA got back a budget for education... maybe they should...

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, they need to be gutted and restarted like most federal agencies.

Most fed agencies are long beyond repair. Time for a rebuild.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
How the fuck did they even spend 8 billion dollars on that thing? Its a single telescope that hasnt even been launched yet its cost 8 billion dollars? Thats almost what it cost to build a fucking aircraft carrier.

• 1Like

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Looking to buy a nice telescope for a teaching aid for my son and daughter. Want something that will auto track. Eg enter what you want and it goes to it and auto tracks as time passes.

Also need suggestions. My family has some land in bfe, basically drive up there, set it up and roll, or what? It's been a long time since I did distant watching.

I was huge in space as a child but grew up computers and coding but want to pass on to my kids the awesomeness of the universe. I still love astronomy too.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
a "go to" scope is what you want then, something around 100-130mm in size for easy transport and setup.

Also id get something like this for taking pictures;

• 1Like

Nola

Trakanon Raider
How the fuck did they even spend 8 billion dollars on that thing? Its a single telescope that hasnt even been launched yet its cost 8 billion dollars? Thats almost what it cost to build a fucking aircraft carrier.
This makes wonder the people who say that NASA is a front to funnel money into SSP (secret space program) and other black budget programs may be right.

• 2Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
8bn!? SpaceX can do it for tree-fiddy.
NASA chief explains why agency won’t buy a bunch of Falcon Heavy rockets

"We're trying to build a plan that uses SLS for its unique capability of large volumes and a large single mass in one launch. The cargo capability is pretty amazing with SLS. You can launch a big chunk of gateway in one flight; where it would take multiple flights, I'm not sure you could even break some of those pieces up into those smaller pieces to get them on a smaller rocket."
So, they've got SLS, which means they're going to use it, dammit!

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
Blue Origin's New Glenn rocket is apparently ahead of schedule for its 2019 maiden flight. It has a lower max payload to translunar orbit than the FH or the SLS but it's also reusable.

That's ultimately the big cost challenge to NASA and the ULA: theyre gonna have two well-funded competitors who'll have reusable launch vehicles who will be launching a much higher tempo of launches simply by virtue of reusability and they simply have no answer to that.

Even if the SLS launches flawlessly, the best estimates for it are one launch every two years under NASA's current budget structure.

• 1Like

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
New Glenn? That company hasn't made an orbital rocket yet of any kind. Pretty big leap from nothing to super heavy. Competition is a good thing to have though, so good luck to them.

The BFR is the thing to watch now. If SpaceX really makes it by 2020 and it has the capabilities that they're saying it will, then gg to everyone else.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
If SpaceX really makes it by 2020

I just yesterday saw the Musk quote where he says that the first manned mission to Mars is highly likely to have people die... and I can't help but wonder if the company's attitude of striving to be the first to achieve might not be viewed as foolish recklessness when viewed through the lens of hindsight.

• 1Like