The Astronomy Thread

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, first stage anomaly, a lot of good data otherwise and second rocket nearly ready to go for systems testing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Basically nobody cares about Virgin Orbit/LauncherOne, so a test failure that you only read about and can't see doesn't really generate bad publicity.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Basically nobody cares about Virgin Orbit/LauncherOne, so a test failure that you only read about and can't see doesn't really generate bad publicity.

The whole, landing the first stage and re-using it business makes having a 747-launched vehicle pretty much pointless.

• 2Truth!
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The whole, landing the first stage and re-using it business makes having a 747-launched vehicle pretty much pointless.
Particularly when the 747 isnt catching on re-entry. Or was this thing supposed to land itself?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Particularly when the 747 isnt catching on re-entry. Or was this thing supposed to land itself?

As far as I know they are not intended to be re-entry vehicles, they are sat payloads. The "first stage" is in this case the 747, which then lands. The other stages are disposable.

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As far as I know they are not intended to be re-entry vehicles, they are sat payloads. The "first stage" is in this case the 747, which then lands. The other stages are disposable.
That actually makes perfect sense. I feel much less clever....thanks

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

Falcon's first stage can't be reused indefinitely, we'll see how well Musk's claim of 100 uses holds up. The turn-around on the 747 is also much quicker than the turn-around on Falcon's first stage (I would assume), so the bottleneck would be the speed at which second stages/payloads can be constructed.

I mean it's not a super ambitious project in the grand scheme of human spaceflight, but they might carve themselves out a niche as the cheapest way to put small satellites in orbit. The information learned might also be useful as a stepping stone towards a custom airframe stage, rather than just trying to dive into it headfirst like StratoLaunch.

• 1Salty

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I believe you could see the whole thing from the coast in the distance, but haven't seen any video.

• 2Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Billionaires sending rockets into space during a global economic collapse seems kind of gauche. The "wow" factor turns into the "um, really? Now?" factor.

I guess we should dismantle the rockets and turn them into ventilators

• 1Picard

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
And I'm procrastinating putting my window unit in. And pondering if I really want to try to roll a char tomorrow.

Well for God's sake, at least make sure to do it in that order. If you roll the char first you're never gonna put in that AC. Then your roommates are gonna complain about the smell as you go days in the heat without showering and etc.

• 1Solidarity
Sometimes a pandemic needs an elf simulator.

And I see they brought back the Burrower logo for the occasion:
indeworm.jpg

• 1Dislike
Fuck it.

Big screen has NASA on. All day. I am NOT GOING TO HEAR anything about coronavirus all day!!!!!

Fingers crossed. I am more excited than I thought I would be.

• 2Like