The Astronomy Thread

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The current Mars rover mission also has an experiment to test the feasibility of creating fuel from the atmosphere. The whole Starship to Mars plan hinges on the ability to create fuel on site, so the results of this experiment are going to be extremely important. Once they get that squared away/figured out, and figure out an ideal landing site for the first manned mission, then they can start launching Starships to Mars for the purpose of creating fuel and transporting supplies/cargo in prep for the arrival of humans. Probably send approximately 2 years worth of food, backup water supply and oxygen, habitat modules, modules to grow food, surface transport vehicles, power generation, etc. The initial waves will also need to autonomously begin to manufacture fuel for the return trip and store water/produce oxygen.
Whats their plan to power all this?

Cybsled

I haven't heard of anything except solar yet. They don't really have any realistic options currently. Wind doesn't work really, there's no geothermal option, no fossil fuels. A functional nuclear reactor for Mars would be a long ways off I presume and would need to be something that requires little to no water to operate.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
6kvj7nrzhot61.png

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I wonder what they're going to cram in that starship that they weren't planning on bringing.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
How much fuel do we have left for RTGs?

I wonder if any of those small cheap reactors can be set up as a breeder to make the stuff?

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
How much fuel do we have left for RTGs?

I wonder if any of those small cheap reactors can be set up as a breeder to make the stuff?
Zero, the RTGs we use now are form Plutonium weve bought from Russia iirc. We have setup a reactor to make the Plutonium ourselves, but its a single reactor and will be 3-4 years before they have enough for a single RTG.

Heres a few great videos going in depth about the process. Very slow, very costly;

gotta be solar. I don't know any other options.
There enough solar power available at Mars surface to support human activity? Whats their plan when a two week dust storm comes along?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

There enough solar power available at Mars surface to support human activity? Whats their plan when a two week dust storm comes along?

If they put up enough panels and they are in an ideal location for solar, sure. Initial base will be small. Storms could be a legitimate problem if they last a long time and they have inadequate power storage, although I presume any initial mission is going to have some manner of emergency backups for power.

Solar on Mars is really only the realistic energy solution for the time being. Even if they figure out a nuclear solution for power generation, presumably they will want to figure out a more permanent location for a Mars settlement before delivering a multi-billion dollar reactor.

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Bundle up and lower the thermostat.
Underground bases are less affected by low temperatures. Low atmosphere pressure will mean far less windchill effect (where heat is carried away by flowing atmosphere).

Solar coupled with batteries to store power seems like an obvious solution, nuclear power plants would work too, but are very heavy.

In an emergency you could take methane from the rocket fuel depot to provide power for a time.

RTGs rely on manufactured plutonium, most of the past supply came from breeder reactions (if I remember correctly) used to make material for nuclear weapon stockpiles. This is _very_ expensive, the plutonium used in RTGs was a by product, not the goal of such reactors.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Here is a lecture video on a modular nuclear reactor, that could work. It fits inside an semi-truck, so maybe they could get the weight low enough to launch it.

Nuclear will probably have a bunch of issues just getting approved for a launch, as any accident could rain radiation on various parts of the ocean/atmosphere.

From David Ruzic, Professor of Engineering, University of Illinois

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Brad

Trakanon Raider
Live countdown to Ingenuity helicopter flight! 15 mins to go!

One YouTube poster claiming that there is already onboard video of a short flight up, somehow got it before NASA live broadcast???

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Bundle up and lower the thermostat.
Im genuinely curious how this works, especially if your plan is to manufacture fuel on Mars which would require significant power even if you send it a year or two ahead to begin processing. Theres half as much sunlight at the Martian surface as there is at Earth and thats not even considering how dusty Mars is which will further reduce solar availability.
Underground bases are less affected by low temperatures. Low atmosphere pressure will mean far less windchill effect (where heat is carried away by flowing atmosphere).
Building underground is a huge undertaking and also takes a lot of time.

Probably a lot easier to just cover your habitat with a layer of soil.
Solar coupled with batteries to store power seems like an obvious solution, nuclear power plants would work too, but are very heavy.
Batteries are very heavy and also dont see how they would provide enough power to get you through the week long dust storms that you will have to endure.
Nuclear will probably have a bunch of issues just getting approved for a launch, as any accident could rain radiation on various parts of the ocean/atmosphere.
Completely overblown as it would be nothing but natural uranium, not the endless fission by products. Environmental retards are gonna doom us to this rock as theres simply no energy source that can power human activity outside of Earth orbit other than nuclear power.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Dislike

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Pretty amazing and historic. About 120 years after the Wright Brothers.

• 2Like