The Astronomy Thread

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Right.

Get your brain out of the garbage, and maybe you will understand word play a little better.

You don't need ftl.

It was a sideways comment.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Rare Earth elements aren't actually particularly rare and can be found in the US, it's just that they're expensive to actually seperate (and would be more so on the moon).

He3 for fusion reactors is not needed until we (some day) actually invent fusion reactors. That's been something like 30 years in the future for the last sixty years, so don't hold your breath.

How much water and how easy it is to mine on the moon, I don't know that one.
All true, but it's interesting to see how much has been done in even 6 years and what will another 20 bring if we don't blow ourselves up? I'm skeptical of spaceports, but a lunar colony and even a mars colony are not out of the question. A lot depends on robotics and AI at this point, which is booming. I'm ok pushing the capitalist message if it gets us further out in space.

Oldbased

> Than U
Sad to do this but Mudcrush you are going on ignore. All you do is neg shit without any feedback or reason.
I don't really care either way but since you offer nothing in exchange for your retardation, I thought I would tell you why before I never see your shit again.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Also don't forget that path lengths contract at high tau, so you can make a 1000 light year journey in less than 1000 years shiptime. It also makes big distances not take much more time than fairly close distances as long as you can continue accelerating to the halfway point.

Alot of very big technical hurdles to get over to do that though. Like hitting a rock at that speed is like tsar bomba.

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Sad to do this but Mudcrush you are going on ignore. All you do is neg shit without any feedback or reason.
I don't really care either way but since you offer nothing in exchange for your retardation, I thought I would tell you why before I never see your shit again.
Another one bites the dust.

• 2Potato
  • 1Dislike

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Also don't forget that path lengths contract at high tau, so you can make a 1000 light year journey in less than 1000 years shiptime. It also makes big distances not take much more time than fairly close distances as long as you can continue accelerating to the halfway point.

Alot of very big technical hurdles to get over to do that though. Like hitting a rock at that speed is like tsar bomba.
The amount of energy needed to get to such a velocity is higher than you think.

• 2Potato
  • 1Dislike

Oldbased

> Than U

That movie Passengers ( newer one ) had the most convincing shield system I've seen yet. It even fails on larger things obviously but for space dust and smaller rocks, I think it could be done

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Oldbased

> Than U
Man that movie rustled my jimmies. It had the chance to be good with a nice little twist at the end but nope, dumbass happy ending.
I still bought it on sale for $5 for 4k version.
Probably have had it playing 20 times over the year as background noise. It's got like 3 people for 99% of the movie and neat effects and I like 2 of the 3 actors and the other I've seen her butthole. What's not to love.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I kinda like the rev space idea of stacking ice a few miles thick on the front shaped like a needle. Maybe if you found a big ass lead rich asteroid you could dope the ice with lead. Maybe some kind of way to crystalize it with lead embedded the way they do for silicon ingots with germanium.

I hope someone gets to try it all out someday. I'm curious what it would be like moving at that speed. Would the single hydrogen atoms per cubic meter be enough to blast the ice away in (relative) minutes? Would the background radiation just go through and fry everything?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Mining water on the moon would theoretically be cheaper to supply space ships or ? It's not like we have a shortage of it on earth and moving it from one place to another on earth is a hell of a lot easier than getting it down from the moon. Ditto for rare earth minerals. They come from China because the mining is yucky and people don't like it near them but it's not like China is the only place to get it and anywhere on Earth with the possible exception of the Marianas Trench is orders of magnitude cheaper than mining the moon.

Cybsled

The biggest problem with rare earth metals is you have to process a lot of material just to get a tiny bit of the REM and it is very polluting/toxic. If you could process them on the moon, people wont give a shit about pollution (initially anyways).

Bringing water into space from Earth is inefficient. If you can get it on site on the moon, then it not only makes habitation possible but also drastically reduces the costs of further deep space launches in theory.

Oldbased

> Than U
The biggest problem with rare earth metals is you have to process a lot of material just to get a tiny bit of the REM and it is very polluting/toxic. If you could process them on the moon, people wont give a shit about pollution (initially anyways).

Bringing water into space from Earth is inefficient. If you can get it on site on the moon, then it not only makes habitation possible but also drastically reduces the costs of further deep space launches in theory.
Plus, as diverse as our minerals are, I still feel there is all sorts of shit we don't exists. When Earth was forming up, many elements may have been so heavy or light to have been deep in the core for example. Much of the shit we have now like gold mostly came from after the fact or by plate movement forcing it up and then back down mountains due to weight and water. Some unobtanium would be a good reason to really kickstart space mining and then I could get on my rusty space freighter and never have to give a shit about this planet again. Just smoking cigars, listening to shitty music and eating crappy food hoping some TransXenoAlien boards me.

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre

Bringing it from Earth, or mining it in space, it depends on cheap access to space to really make it efficient. Fortunately SpaceX is making serious progress at this.

• 1Salty
  • 1Potato

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
I want my space elevator.
jj laughter.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Salty
  • 1Potato

Oldbased

> Than U
You always see black and white docking but never cool color when they dock.
Dragon firing up thrusters. Also what Mudlovers Assfeet asshole looks like after his boyfriend gets done with the nightly therapy session.
1630506449016.png
1630508344616.png

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 4 users

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Rare Earth elements aren't actually particularly rare and can be found in the US, it's just that they're expensive to actually seperate (and would be more so on the moon).

He3 for fusion reactors is not needed until we (some day) actually invent fusion reactors. That's been something like 30 years in the future for the last sixty years, so don't hold your breath.

How much water and how easy it is to mine on the moon, I don't know that one.
I'm not really up to date with fusion and fission, but isn't fusion not that effective ? I remember reading somewhere that the inner core of the sun, where the pressure and temperature is high enough for the fusion to take place, only produce something like 300 w per cubic meter.
Or we are using something else ?

sindaael

<Banned>
Developed warp drives with the help of aerodynamics. This should teach you how to build this spaceship. They should be able to get to the stars pretty quickly.

• 1Jonesing
  • 1Picard