The Astronomy Thread

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Is it true that if you add up all matter and energy, both positive and negative, the sum is zero?

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I was talking about this last night with my brother about this, and the closer we get to time zero in the history of the universe, the less we know about it.
If you take a step back and see the current working theory is that at time 0, everything was compacted into a single point of infinite density and temperature, then it exploded, and then somehow it expanded creating space faster than the speed of light, and all of the sudden it cooled to a literal hundred trillion degrees Kelvin.

I'm sorry that sounds fucking crazy. I'm not saying it's true or false, I'm saying it's crazy, and it still doesn't answer the question of why or what made that singularity of infinite temperature and density.

I was telling him, that what we have are theories that are not backed by evidence/causation, so they are not laws. We just have a bunch of findings and we have theories that so far don't contradict those findings, but that is not a proof of the theory.

So IMO the same way we don't know what actually happens at the center of a blackmore, we really don't know what happened at time 0, or how time zero started.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Once you figure it out you become a god and get to start your own universe.

• 1Like

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
So Nasa said the oldest galaxy on this picture is 13.1 bn years old, 700mio after the big bang. Are they already galaxies or is it something else ?
If I understand correctly, the farthest we will ever be able to see are objects up to the cosmic background radiation 300'000 years after the bang ?

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
They have a date at which they predict the first galaxies formed and all based on models, but I'm not super convinced the whole picture is well understood.

There's still some strange stuff they don't have good answers for, like galaxy rotation and the strange quantized redshift we observe, seemingly centered on earth. Deep field images might help with some of these puzzles as they see more goofy stuff, assuming they don't just pretend they didn't see it.

My guess is that C has changed over time as well as the vacuum energy. Lower vacuum energy in the past would lead to closer electron orbits in atoms == redshifted light.

If you think about natural chaotic matter and forces in an informational context, much of it is highly compressible. We anti-entropic smartypants entities mess that up by creating things that are classical.

If the universe is a computational thing, think how badly we are throwing a wrench into the works by creating 20 trillion transistors per second. I'd fully expect C, which really is the speed of causality, to slow rapidly.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
If I understand correctly, the farthest we will ever be able to see are objects up to the cosmic background radiation 300'000 years after the bang ?

Right. The idea is before that point the universe was so hot that protons and electrons couldn't condense into atoms, which created a soup of charged particles that bounced photons every which-way. That now-red shifted incoherent fog is the CMB.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I predicted at the beginning of this we'll get a super deep scan of the universe and there will be an elliptical galaxy floating around in it. Big bang theory would be deboonked.

• 1Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I predicted at the beginning of this we'll get a super deep scan of the universe and there will be an elliptical galaxy floating around in it. Big bang theory would be deboonked.
I've always been a fan of the theory that the universe at large was not created by the big bang, but big bangs occur in regions with no mass/gravity.

Mainly because I don't believe we or our local universe is anywhere remotely near the "centre" of the universe. Astronomy still makes this assumption.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I've always been a fan of the theory that the universe at large was not created by the big bang, but big bangs occur in regions with no mass/gravity.

Mainly because I don't believe we or our local universe is anywhere remotely near the "centre" of the universe. Astronomy still makes this assumption.
There's lots of theories, but none are adequate. Don't forget that the big bang was first pushed by a Christian precisely because it would fit with the Bible. I don't really have a theory of my own to push. I'm just not a fan of people who use math to try and explain things that we don't know, thinking that math represents reality.

That's exactly why I like things like the Webb telescope. Some people like to extrapolate from what we know. I prefer to expand what we know.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard

Cybsled

One interesting hypothesis is our universe exists in a blackhole and “universe reproduction” occurs when a universe is created that allows for the formation of black holes

Of course then you get into some funky Inception level shit of black holes within black holes into infinity

• 1Like

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre

It doesn't. Imagine being on the surface of a ballonn that is expandimg. No matter where you are on that balloon, it appears that you are not moving and everything is moving away from you (and the farther it is, the faster it goes).

The expansion of the universe is similar; we're not at the center of it.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I cant tell if this serious. All I see is someone turning up the gamma on same image and then dropping a couple lens flares into it
Aren't all the colors and shit something they do "post process" anyway? Like, it's always been my understanding none of these space pictures with bright, vibrant colors are what they actually look like. It's what some artist at NASA threw together to make them pretty.

• 1Truth!

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Aren't all the colors and shit something they do "post process" anyway? Like, it's always been my understanding none of these space pictures with bright, vibrant colors are what they actually look like. It's what some artist at NASA threw together to make them pretty.

Webb is primarily an infrared instrument, so as to be more sensitive to the farthest objects that are the most redshifted. The images we get have to be spectrum-shifted and edited, since they'd otherwise be literally invisible to humans.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
That's how pretty much all astronomy pictures are. None of the hardware is capable of reproducing what we see as it's all highly specialized to see at specific wavelengths of light.

End result is a lot of interpretation and Photoshop.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
This is kind of hard to watch, annoying voice, but good info:

I knew some of this. PBS Space Time had covered some of it. But damn seeing it all together is kind of convincing.

I'd also never seen the bit about filament organization. Crazy how close that looks to spiral galaxies.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Jupiter via JWST.

jupiter_hi_res_rings-1-1536x1527.png
jupiter_hi_res_atmo-1-1524x1536.png

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users