The Astronomy Thread

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
And sounds like that fuel system issue is going to bump it again and sounding like after 9:20 no chance of launch today. Disappointing.

Vaclav

Heh, it's so bad for me - I'm anxious to show off pics of how well (or poorly) I can see the launch from the backyard canalside being that this is the first rocket launch since I've been here. So as bad as it is for most people, man I'm on pins and needles and keep getting disappointed.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Every time the NASA crew talks about these "wind violations" I get a prophetic vision from 10 years down the line when that exact term will be used in legalese to prosecute young men for fart raping women.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
...and the feed times out as they shout "one" on the countdown!

Vaclav

And apparently live close enough to hear it but not see it, shame - at least with how overcast it was today all I could see was the plume of exhaust form, couldn't see the rocket itself. (double checked distance on Google Maps - 9 miles - 5 miles is to the parking entrance for Kennedy)

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
The conspiracy theorist in me activated when the feed died at "one", just as the engines were igniting and all you saw was a gigantic ball of flame and I wondered if there was a few seconds time delay and they cut the feed due to the whole thing going up in smoke.
smile.png

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
And apparently live close enough to hear it but not see it, shame - at least with how overcast it was today all I could see was the plume of exhaust form, couldn't see the rocket itself. (double checked distance on Google Maps - 9 miles - 5 miles is to the parking entrance for Kennedy)
Had to be weather related to not see it. You can see the launches for MILES away! I grew up near Orlando watching stuff launch all the time. Spent some time in Jacksonville (160mi away from the Cape) and could see launches too, albeit just glowing balls of fire that far away.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
It's Alive! NASA's New Horizons Pluto Probe 'Wakes Up' for Work - NBC News

"This is a watershed event that signals the end of New Horizons crossing of a vast ocean of space to the very frontier of our solar system, and the beginning of the mission's primary objective: the exploration of Pluto and its many moons in 2015," Southwest Research Institute planetary scientist Alan Stern, the principal investigator for the $728 million New Horizons mission, said in a NASA statement.

New Horizons has been spending about two-thirds of the time since its launch in 2006 in hibernation, to save on electronic wear and tear as well as operational costs. Every few months, the spacecraft's systems have been roused to wakefulness for a checkup, or for photo ops such as its Jupiter flyby in 2007.

Vaclav

Had to be weather related to not see it. You can see the launches for MILES away! I grew up near Orlando watching stuff launch all the time. Spent some time in Jacksonville (160mi away from the Cape) and could see launches too, albeit just glowing balls of fire that far away.
Oh, I could see the smoke and a little light - I just couldn't see the module itself.