The Astronomy Thread

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Im surprised no one in DC has said we hacked the code to avenge Ukraine.
Hacking a Russian lunar lander is like me tripping a toddler on the playground. The kid will fall on their own and it'll be funnier when it happens naturally.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'll put this somewhere else if need be. My father passed away a few years ago. As we lived in a small town he knew basically everyone.

One of his stranger friends I knew in my childhood gave me this recently. He authored it himself. As far as I can tell it's a design for some kind of structure he called the North Star Window. This concept uh... Manuscript is like 150 pages long and full of diagrams. Angles and instructions on how to build this thing. I'll fully PDF it as it's amazing in its insanity.

Sample.
PXL_20230822_154243014.MP.jpg

• 3Like
  • 1WTF
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 4 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'll put this somewhere else if need be. My father passed away a few years ago. As we lived in a small town he knew basically everyone.

One of his stranger friends I knew in my childhood gave me this recently. He authored it himself. As far as I can tell it's a design for some kind of structure he called the North Star Window. This concept uh... Manuscript is like 150 pages long and full of diagrams. Angles and instructions on how to build this thing. I'll fully PDF it as it's amazing in its insanity.

Sample.
View attachment 487637
Damn, I can't count the number of times I've wanted to create my own coordinate system with my fireplace as a global origin, but couldn't because I can't see the North Star from a window near my fireplace.

It would be cool to have a mechanized telescope mounted as an observatory to my roof though, that had some kind of mechanized lens and dome protection so I could crack that open and look at Uranus from the comfort of my home. Too bad I live in an area wit ha bunch of light pollution so it'd be a waste of $$$.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Damn, I can't count the number of times I've wanted to create my own coordinate system with my fireplace as a global origin, but couldn't because I can't see the North Star from a window near my fireplace.

It would be cool to have a mechanized telescope mounted as an observatory to my roof though, that had some kind of mechanized lens and dome protection so I could crack that open and look at Uranus from the comfort of my home. Too bad I live in an area wit ha bunch of light pollution so it'd be a waste of $$$.
More:
PXL_20230822_164249548.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah the concept of a fixed window to see a specific direction is beyond me.

But this vid of an wooden shed observatory is pretty cool.

If I lived in bumfuck Michigan I'd be tempted to yeet a

on top of my house. Then I could use Starlink to livestream whine about Starlink constellations ruining my junior astronomy setup.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Seriously I have 150 pages of this gloriousness.

PXL_20230822_171540858.jpg

PXL_20230822_171434182.jpg

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

It gets weirder about halfway through and starts talking about wormholes.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>

If I lived in bumfuck Michigan I'd be tempted to yeet a

on top of my house. Then I could use Starlink to livestream whine about Starlink constellations ruining my junior astronomy setup.

I had a 12" Meade telescope and I live in a dark sky area. I had the parts priced out for the 2nd (dome w/ panels) observatory to put in my back yard. Wife was fully behind it but I think that had as much to do with her hating to help set the damn telescope up as anything. Never did it and my back got so bad I had to sell the telescope. It was an awesome telescope but the damn thing weighted 80 lbs and you could only pick it up at certain points.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

I really hope the idiotic fucktards that comprise American mainstream media aren't celebrating the Russian space failure. A swing and a miss in space, for any nation, is a miss for all of us when it comes down to it.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Awesome accomplishment for them. Getting some on the ground views of possible ice deposits would be pretty important for future habitats

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
There is also the theory that we are simply not looking in the right places, or we ignore it. While I have never tried hallucinogens, I have both known people who have dabbled in them - and met "creatures" as well as read a lot about it (my profile pic is of Terence McKenna). So in this circle you have a lot of people who vehemently claim that there are lots of intelligences out there, you just need to "change your frequency". Now, are they true or are these beings simply figments of their drug addled brain? Who knows? But the consequences of them being right are tremendous.

Same is true for the UFO crowed (though I personally prefer the inter-dimensional hypothesis for these too).
You're using Terence McKenna as your avatar but you've never done hallucinogens? Why not? Lol

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
There is a time and a place for everything, and I've neither found the time nor place yet lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user