The Astronomy Thread

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
This was hella gay, and the only thing faker and gayer was all the reaction to it.

I dunno, went down the rabbit hole of music to listen to while watching the eclipse…

And found this gem:

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I had my Canon 7D ready to go, I used it for the last 2 eclipses. Homemade solar filter but it did ok. Go to put it all together last night and the camera will not turn on. Batteries are topped out no power. Pull the dual battery pack out , put in one battery . Nothing. Put it back together and use regular alkaline batteries , nothing.
I was going to sell it anyway when this eclipse was over so I'm not too pissed, and it was 12 years old. I am sad to report that the camera was the victim of a high speed hug involving a sledge hammer.

Good thing I had a Seestar as well. It was windy (17mph) so any video was wobbly but the photos came out alright. Actually better than my 7D would do.

Vegas area only got 49% cover so it really didn't even get dark.

Attachments

• seestar with solar filter.jpg
    seestar with solar filter.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 6
  • mid eclipse 2 .jpg
    mid eclipse 2 .jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 4
  • mid eclipse .jpg
    mid eclipse .jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 4
  • ending of eclipse .jpg
    ending of eclipse .jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Drove out to the sticks to a friends mom’s house to see it. Man, was a uniquely humbling experience to see the totality with the naked eye.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Oldbased

> Than U
Raptor 3 is only about a year old and it saw great improvements and many less external parts. Now rolls out Raptor 4 even more powerful. Crazy.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
So this happened today

NDT 0.jpg

I took my wife and mother in law, they are not as big of space buffs as I am. If you've listened to NGT's videos/shows and/or read a few of his books you have heard everything he went over in this 2 hour lecture. The only relatively new item to me was 'White Holes' but overall it was very entertaining and he put on a good show despite he having a cold / allergies. We were in the balcony and these pics are 10x optical / 30x digital zoom w/ a cell phone. It was worth the $55 bucks.

2PM show was sold out and there was another at 7PM.

Attachments

• NDT 2.jpg
    NDT 2.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 5
  • NDT 3.jpg
    NDT 3.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 1Moron
  • 1Pathetic
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 2 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
So this happened today

View attachment 524790

I took my wife and mother in law, they are not as big of space buffs as I am. If you've listened to NGT's videos/shows and/or read a few of his books you have heard everything he went over in this 2 hour lecture. The only relatively new item to me was 'White Holes' but overall it was very entertaining and he put on a good show despite he having a cold / allergies. We were in the balcony and these pics are 10x optical / 30x digital zoom w/ a cell phone. It was worth the $55 bucks.

2PM show was sold out and there was another at 7PM.
That's his real (and only) job. He's a lecturer for lay audiences, and that's it. Not an expert, not a scientist (except in the technical sense), just a popularizer.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
That's his real (and only) job. He's a lecturer for lay audiences, and that's it. Not an expert, not a scientist (except in the technical sense), just a popularizer.
Well said! I was trying to explain to my wife and MIL what he does and failed at it. Since brain surgery , thinking of words has become impossible. All I could come up with was Carl Sagan and neither of them had heard of him. They are British so maybe he was never popular there?

Also , where the hell were you when I was trying to explain? Lol

• 1Smuggly
Reactions: 1 user

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>

Or if you don't feel like reading and don't mind his accent.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Starting in early phases of have an observatory built. In the past I just carried all my scopes, mounts and equipment out each night but that's a thing of the past. Also looking for yet another telescope and mount combo to do more astrophotography. I have a 8" SCT, 6" and 8" reflectors that are mountable, numerous relectors from 80 to 130mm.

I seriously put some thought into a RASA (Rowe Ackerman Schmidt Astrograph) but it's 100% astrophotography only and no visual so not sure I want it to be the centerpoint of my observatory and lock out visual.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Starting in early phases of have an observatory built. In the past I just carried all my scopes, mounts and equipment out each night but that's a thing of the past. Also looking for yet another telescope and mount combo to do more astrophotography. I have a 8" SCT, 6" and 8" reflectors that are mountable, numerous relectors from 80 to 130mm.

I seriously put some thought into a RASA (Rowe Ackerman Schmidt Astrograph) but it's 100% astrophotography only and no visual so not sure I want it to be the centerpoint of my observatory and lock out visual.
Wow that's where I *thought* I wanted to go. Life/health had other ideas. I had to sell my scopes as it they were collecting dust. It was all too heavy to lug/set up and that was with help.

I got a ZWO SeeStar S50 and I have to admit I am loving it! Yeah I totally wimped out but this thing weighs 5-6LB. For what it is, it takes great deep space photos.

When you get it all set up would you please post some pics? I'd love to see the setup.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I dont some in the past but we'll see. The options are most likely a RASA or a sct with hyperstar. I only do deep sky stuff. The planets and moon are not my thing. I have a few scopes that are great on it but as said not my thing. Astronomics called and said they had a 14" RASA in stock (which I think the actual name is in centimeters. Nor really sure I want to start off a $17K rasa. Was thinking an 8" or 10"

I'll probably get the pier(s) put in from the mount locally but having an obervatory built will most likely mean bring in a crew or someone from some distance. All contractors and people associated with them are 100% how can we do this the cheapest possible way. They work to please their normal customers.

Even if not picture taking I think having an observatory will be a big help visually because it would be very hard for me to carry out a month that could 50+ pounds of great, not to mention getting it aligned and such each time.

The thing that wold bother me is on a lot of videos you see people changing out the hyperstar or camera on a RASA and just acting like it's no big deal to unscrew(unmount) the camera when the telescope at 45 degrees and the corrector plate is right there.

I will probably add an 8" Mak Newt now that supply has caught up post covid.

Last edited: