The Astronomy Thread

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
"Pluto has an active interior, for reasons that are not at all clear," she said. "When ice-rich planetary bodies show evidence of resurfacing the interior it is usually tidal forces,but there is not a large nearby planetary body to raise tides. It's an extraordinary scientific mystery."
Oristhere???

rrr_img_103915.png

khorum

Murder Apologist
Don't wake them, you fools! That's the prison-tomb of the old gods and we're drifting into reach of their slumbering minds in a few weeks.

Pluto will reach its nadir on September 23rd this year... it'll be the closest to the earth in its 238-year orbit around the sun.

Think happy thoughts.

rrr_img_104171.jpg

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Regarding Voyager 1 and interstellar space, I swear to god about once a year, every year, for the past ~5 years there has been a major news story about how it has officially left the solar system and entered interplanetary space. It's probably not too surprising since I doubt there is a fixed "boundary" between the solar system and interstellar space, and it will probably be in this nebulous zone for decades if not longer, but it doesn't change the fact that some news site will probably go and post this amazing news, yet again, soon.

Re Pluto. I remember back in the mid 90s when the Pluto Kuiper Express was being talked about, and then canned. It made me angry since it was speculated that this was the last time in over a century that we would have the chance to get out there in time to detect a possible atmosphere due to Pluto being in its part of the orbit where it's getting further from the sun and once it reaches a certain distance the atmosphere would freeze. The nay-sayers for Space Exploration are idiots!

iannis

Musty Nester
The last voyager 1 story that I remember is it reached the area of a hypothetical boundary. I don't think it was the heliosheath but maybe it was. And the question it can answer is, "what's different about this space and... how big is it, exactly anyway?" So it might be fair to say that it's reached the edge of our solar system.

And if it smacking into the oort cloud, it might also be fair to say it again. As our maps get better, our understanding of what defines the edge of our solar system also improve. I'd kinda expect Veejah to be at the edge of our solar system until it either goes silent, or another 20 years.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
The resolution of a telescope is dependent on the size of the collector... Yes?

That is circumvented by using arrays to act, collectively as a single collector, yes?

Is there a minimum density of collector surface area per array surface area to make that work?

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Missed this a few days ago- SpaceX released an initial report concluding mechanical failure of a support strut as root cause for the loss of mission.

CRS-7 Investigation Update | SpaceX

Preliminary analysis suggests the overpressure event in the upper stage liquid oxygen tank was initiated by a flawed piece of support hardware (a "strut") inside the second stage. Several hundred struts fly on every Falcon 9 vehicle, with a cumulative flight history of several thousand. The strut that we believe failed was designed and material certified to handle 10,000 lbs of force, but failed at 2,000 lbs, a five-fold difference.

SpaceX Rocket Explosion Likely Caused by Faulty Strut, Musk Says - Scientific American

a steel strut holding down a bottle of high-pressure helium snapped during ascent. This failure allowed the bottle to shoot to the top of the booster's upper-stage liquid-oxygen tank at high speed, causing a rapid "overpressure event"

spronk

FPS noob
announcement is in 30 mins but I think its leaked to a few people, I'm told they are announcing the discovery of Kepler 452b, a earth sized planet around a sun that is within 4% the size of our sun and the planet is at the same distance as Earth is from our sun, and it has water and an atmosphere. Its 1400 light years away.

the Falling Skies aliens are probably already on the way, but we got at least 1400 years to make enough guns

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Well fuck why didn't someone tell us In 2.5 billion years earth will be out of the conservative habitable zone.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Repost from science thread since this thread is more relevant:

Given that we just found out basic information about pluto, as a layman I am totally suspicious about any information we have about a planet that is 1400ly away. My understanding is that they look at how a star wobbles based on its orbiting planets, but I feel like without having a way to test those calculations and technology on anything other than our solar system, it's an unproven method.

However, I know very little about astrophysics.