The Astronomy Thread

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Hmm, I wonder if that's more nuanced than it sounds. From that it sounds like, "Yeah even the things that pratically blow up won't have to be replaced for 10 missions at least.", with the suggestion that much of the rocket can be used indefinitely.
Would get a little nervous being the guy riding up on one towards the end of it's life cycle.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Would get a little nervous being the guy riding up on one towards the end of it's life cycle.
I think the theory is that the launches really aren't that hard on them, it's the "landings" in the ocean/whatever and then being reconditioned for re-launch and all the potential errors that can happen there.

My totally gut-reaction would be one that has successfully launched 5 times already is probably as safe as it's going to get so long as the landing was in survivable spec, those parts are PROVEN to work and be reliable. The brand-new never-launched one that some drunk asshole put together yesterday, not proven.

The whole idea behind the landings is that the landings probably put less stress on the thing than the launch so reliability there shouldn't be too much of a concern once the landings are routine.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I found this to be extremely awesome. The Spacex Cast is transposed over this visualization of the velocity and trajectory of the launch. It shows the altitude/velocity of the vehicle(s) - it shows when their engines are lit. The trajectory is exactly what you might expect, but its so hard to visualize the fact that our universe is quickly all about arcs. Our daily lives are on such short distances that the world might as well be flat. This also helps put into perspective why SpaceX is doing something that Blue Origin is light years from doing. There is very little truly vertical flight in this entire process. The falling portions of stage 1 I found fascinating with the graphs. I think the deceleration before the final burn must be when the maneuvering fins interfere with its acceleration from gravity.

Near the end of the video - both the full stage 2 and stage 1 trajectories are visualized together on the graphs.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I found this to be extremely awesome. The Spacex Cast is transposed over this visualization of the velocity and trajectory of the launch. It shows the altitude/velocity of the vehicle(s) - it shows when their engines are lit. The trajectory is exactly what you might expect, but its so hard to visualize the fact that our universe is quickly all about arcs. Our daily lives are on such short distances that the world might as well be flat. This also helps put into perspective why SpaceX is doing something that Blue Origin is light years from doing. There is very little truly vertical flight in this entire process. The falling portions of stage 1 I found fascinating with the graphs. I think the deceleration before the final burn must be when the maneuvering fins interfere with its acceleration from gravity.

Near the end of the video - both the full stage 2 and stage 1 trajectories are visualized together on the graphs.

That video is fucking awesome!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
That's very cool and really shows why they want to be able to land at sea.

I wonder how much the sea-landing location varies based on payload?

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Its a batshit insane idea...but it just might work and if so would be cool as hell. Hopefully any Centaurans don't take us firing a few hundred to thousands of iphones at 20% the speed of light in their direction as an act of hostility.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
That's very cool and really shows why they want to be able to land at sea.

I wonder how much the sea-landing location varies based on payload?
I think most of it has to do with speed, (but clearly also trajectory), the higher the orbit, the tinier the recovery area possible because as that video shows - you really are just trying to go sideways really fucking fast to stay in orbit. That's 99% of the task almost, getting to altitude is easy, going 17,000+ mph is hard. For further orbits, especially geostationary, lagrange points etc I'm sure you have to go even faster. that video also made me realize exactly how much firepower they exert to return stage 1 to land in Florida. For the barge landing they kill almost all its horizontal speed and it re-accelerates through a much more vertical free fall, to get back to the cape they have to get that thing moving horizontally substantially to fall back on land. It definitely doesn't fly more as controlled fall - it has no lift surfaces besides those airbrake/landing fin combination. They said this mission could have returned to land, but they wanted to try the barge shot since their next 3 launches cannot possibly return to land. I think when you scale it all up to the falcon heavy - that there are very few launch trajectories where the F9 Stage 1's can get back to land.

The barges just let you recover at the best possible location for any booster regardless of mission. If the barge landings become some 99% success story - that will be incredible.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>

The last external tank leaves NOLA, heading to California to be mated to Endeavor along w/ 2 boosters and put into launch orientation for display.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The idea of being in an inflated habitat seems frightening. Now if there's a pressurization leak you won't only be suffocated but will be squeezed to death as well. Or something.

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
100GW of ground based lasers required. As they say, "A number of hard engineering challenges remain to be solved before these missions can become a reality", and I'm sure the Chinese and Russians are going to love the idea of 100 GW of lasers that can hit small targets in orbit over a period of time to "accelerate" them.

Breakthrough Initiatives
They probably wont' care, the current plan they have will only fire off about one per day. Lasers have two ways to increase their power, you either increase the power source and all the hardware to support it like cooling etc or you can do beam additions. Their plan is to do the beam additions where they keep adding in more and more laser pulses to the same beam until it reaches a power level they want over the specific time period. This limits how many they can fire a day with their current plan to 1, which is not exactly a weapons technology.

Some point in the near future (10 years maybe?) when we start building large solar arrays in orbit we'll probably have one powerful enough to keep the laser going indefinitely and there is nothing to say you can't turn that around and fire it at earth as weapon.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
The idea of being in an inflated habitat seems frightening. Now if there's a pressurization leak you won't only be suffocated but will be squeezed to death as well. Or something.
If in inflatable habitat popped in a vacuum you'd just experience rapid decompression and outward explosion of pressure, right? Why would you be squeezed?

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I assume it is rigid enough and has a self sealing mechanism (fluid etc that reacts to a vacuum) to prevent micro objects from causing explosive decompression.

Have any of you guys heard the arguments for settling Venus instead of Mars? I read them a week or so ago, and they were pretty compelling.

Also, and dunno if this has already been mentioned or is too low level for ppl's consumption here, the PBS Space Time series on Youtube is pretty good. I prefer the first / prior host to the current. Either way, some really good metaphors and explanations of things that I didnt know I didnt know.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
If in inflatable habitat popped in a vacuum you'd just experience rapid decompression and outward explosion of pressure, right? Why would you be squeezed?
image.php

You're right, what the fuck am I talking about.