The Astronomy Thread

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
At this point I view any of the ambitious SLS / ULA contracts with extreme skepticism. When they experience delays and budget overruns while producing what is increasingly become an outclassed product, it's just another nail in the coffin and I don't know if a reorganization can solve the core problems with the companies.

If by the time the SLS has its first launch in 2021 (2023 more likely...) First SLS launch now expected in second half of 2021 - SpaceNews SpaceX has already performed dozens of launches of the Starship, it's going to get increasingly difficult for the politicians shoveling money into a broken dumpster fire.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

If they get Starship perfected, it will revolutionize space travel. That Japanese billionaire that bought a ticket for a moon trip got switched to a future Starship flight that will do the same, but no way they make the 2023 estimate.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Working for the government has taught me that the government is horrible at both identifying its needs and holding its contractors accountable to its demands. Politicians and their wannabes in various alphabet agencies celebrate promoting likeable ignorance into every position of influence.

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
East of Melbourne Victoria Australia.. 10 minutes ago I saw a line of 5 lights followed by 2 lights cross the sky heading east south east.. I'd live them to be aliens but u think it was starlink.. Cool..

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Phosphine discovered in the atmosphere of Venus.

"As far as scientists know, there are only two ways to produce it [phosphine], either artificially in a lab, or by certain kinds of microbes that live in oxygen-free environments. Since it is rather unlikely there any alien labs on Venus, that leaves microbes."​

Only embargo-breaking news as of now, sounds like the presser is tomorrow.

1600064908279.png

• 2Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Phosphine discovered in the atmosphere of Venus.

"As far as scientists know, there are only two ways to produce it [phosphine], either artificially in a lab, or by certain kinds of microbes that live in oxygen-free environments. Since it is rather unlikely there any alien labs on Venus, that leaves microbes."​

Only embargo-breaking news as of now, sounds like the presser is tomorrow.

View attachment 302087

Wouldnt surprise me at all if basic microbial life is incredibly common throughout the universe. Looking at our own solar system there are so many bodies that contain environments that should support the development of it.

Cybsled

Pretty intriguing if true. Despite Venus' surface being a hellscape, it's upper atmosphere is rather temperate and also dense. Venus is also theorized to have been more conducive to life in it's distant past, so it is quite possible life evolved, some of it ended up in the upper atmosphere and survived to present day.

spronk

FPS noob
thats pretty fucking cool. i really hope we get detailed underground scans of the moons of Jupiter and Saturn in my lifetime

• 2Like

Cybsled

The Russian space program sent a successful balloon probe to Venus back in the 70s, so doing something similar would be completely viable. They would just need to figure out something that is significantly more resistant to acid so they could get a longer term mission going.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
It's hard to imagine a balloon mission... but hell, we pulled off a sky crane on Mars... the below is from a prior proposal.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif