The Astronomy Thread

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Static fire today... the guys on stream are talking about reports that SpaceX has an internal target of getting Starship to orbit by 7/1.

That'd be incredible, but is likely not doable since BN-1 hasn't even started ground testing.

Looking forward to SN15 and learning more about the upgrades to the SN15+ prototypes.

BN-3 + SN20 may be the first stacked test.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Isn't most of what the booster relies on being tested now with the SNs?

Some. They need to hash out flight profile, landing, and managing 30+ Raptors per booster. The Raptors themselves are still under active development, too.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
And it's not even going to fly; it's just there to test everything (and maybe, as Scott Manley said, it will fly by pure accident during an engine firing test or something)...

Meanwhile, in NASA land...

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
It looks like a shitty Photoshop filter, but apparently we're able to measure polarized light and eek out information about the magnetic fields.

1616604044468.png

• 3Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 3 users

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
SN11 appeared to RUD on engine relight. Remains to be seen who has any footage of it happening due to the heavy fog.

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
How many more of these things can they afford to blow up?

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
How many more of these things can they afford to blow up?

There are nine more in the manufacturing pipeline already (up to SN20). The whole point is to experience the failure modes now, and learn. It's not like this one was ever going to be put into service. Better it fail in an instructive way.